E1L or L1 Lumamax?

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Hello all,
Im new here to candlepower but so far Ive got a 6P xenon bulb and an E1E executive and love them both!
But I was wondering which of these two I should get? The title says..And also if you could post pics of these two together or if you have the lights I already have and the ones I want that'd be great to see too!
What do you guys think? Which one for everyday normal use and carry.
Thanks to all who reply :grin2:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the L1 lumamax.

you can buy a KX1 head, or KL1 head and that will fit right on your E1E

:)

Crenshaw

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
get the L1 if its within your budget, the UI is superior to E1L. it has a higher high output than E1L.

get the E1L if you do not mind the UI, it's driver has been upgraded & has 2 output levels.

i do not own either, i have no comparison pictures of their respective beam profile. :candle:

edit: maybe the Mods could merge this thread with https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/196190&page=2?

Last edited:

NE450No2

Enlightened
Spyder

I use the 6P type lights a lot. But my two most used daily carry lights are a E1e and a A2 Aviator, and like you I have been thinking about which other small SF light would be a good addition to that pair.

I have thought about getting an E1L for its longer run time, never burn out bulb, [I have burned out a few E1e bulbs, not because they are bad, I just use this flashlight a LOT], and use it for everyday carry, putting the E1e as a spare...

And/Or...

Getting a U2, with its multiple settings, or a LX2.
The LX2 looks interesting as it is LED [no burn out bulb, I have burned out some A2 bulbs, again I use the light a LOT], the LX2 has 200 lumens, which is brighter that the other flash lights we carry, and also has a 15 lumen setting, which is plenty bright for walking around, many other tasks, and saves batteries.

I find the 3 lumens of the A2LED,s great for indoor use and walking on known "trails", say around a camp that you know, and it does not mess up your night vision, but 15 lumens would be better for general tasks.

I would like to look at a U2 in the dark however.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
L1 definitely, unless you really wants the smaller body of E1L. But then again, you can do like what Crenshaw said, just buy the KX1 head, combine with E1E body and tailcap and basically you will have E1L.

You may want to wait for LX1 to come out. Its supposedly a L1 replacement with sleeker and shorter body, with more efficient emitter.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for L1 too: its UI is simply the best. :thumbsup:

Here's a comparison shot for your reference

30tte2x.jpg

.... and BTW Spyder: :welcome:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 for the UI alone (unless you really need the E1L's runtime).

-Robert

Last edited:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
+1 on the L1 :thumbsup:

It is excellent for 'normal' flashlight type tasks. It really excells on camping trips with a useful low and bright enough high for when you want to check something out.

Don't forget you can use the head from the L1 on your E1E body and get both for the same deal!

Hope this helps and :welcome:

computernut

Enlightened
I have an L1 Cree and love it. I tried both the E1L and L1 in the store and thought the L1 just fit in the hand better. I have an E2L which is just a longer E1L that's a bit brighter and there is definitely nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the L1, especially with an F04 on it. If you are thinking of using the pocket clip, definitely consider the E1B with it's two-way clip.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
+1 on the L1
Don't forget you can use the head from the L1 on your E1E body and get both for the same deal!

Seriously!!?? Sorry I am a bit of a newb in the flashlight world but is this really true? What kind of stats and run time will the E1e have with the L1's head..? I think that right there may have just pushed me over the edge to get the L1 lumamax! thanks everyone! lovecpf
Also how will the L1 operate with the E1e's head? Or can you even do that?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you mistunderstand us.

the E1e will will fit the L1 head, but it will only run in direct drive, because the L1 head is what we call "dumb" meaning that the it contains no circuitry, the L1 circuit is in the body.
You can run it that way, but it wont be regulated, or anything.
The KL1/Kx1 head is the head for the E1L, and that one is interchangable with the E1E head.

Or you can wait for the LX1 to come out (if you can wait a a few decades or so :ohgeez: ) because THAT head will have circuitry in it. thats one of the major updates of the Lx1 over the L1

Crenshaw

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which UI do you like more, your 6P's or your E1E's?

The L1 has a press for low, press harder for high, and twist for constant on (how much you twist determines low or high). This is similar to your 6P.

The E1L has a press for low, press harder for click on, just like your E1E. To change modes, you press for low mode, release and press again to get high mode.

I think the two current models are very close to the same light. The L1 is slightly brighter.

Now, cosmetic and size comparison. The L1 is a much larger light, it is almost the size of a 6P, but there aren't many benefits from the larger size. Many will argue that it feels better in the hand, and the body is wider which does make it more comfortable to hold. The E1L has a bigger head and the same size body as your E1E, which makes it slightly awkward to hold and use.

Here is a screenshot of Surefire's size comparison of the 4 lights we are talking about.

comparer.jpg

steve68

Newly Enlightened
I have both. First I have bougt the E1L - my first surefire.
Here in germany you have not the chance play around with it in a store - So the 45 Lumen sounded not so bright (own a lot other lights).
OK, I ordere it online and I was realy surprised what surefire understand with the claimed 45 lumen.
So I was extremly surpirsed by the output and runtime - and the overall quality.
Then I thougt Ok, need the L1 with the "significant" more 20 Lumen.
OK, the L1 UI is wonderfull and Iam able to twist it in my hand without need the second hand to twist. Its a little longer and the body ist perfect.
But shock - my E1L ist brighter. I think it depends on the perfect beamquality. There are no dark or bright areas not a little one. The E1L beam looks perfect, like a cut out.
The beam of my L1 ist not so perfect - and maybe this is the reason why it looks a bit weaker (whitwall and outside)

The runtime of the E1L is also much more better - so I love it and will buy a second one soon (savequeen).

Anybody else get a stronger E1L compared to L1??

Regards

Steve

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. First I have bougt the E1L - my first surefire.
Here in germany you have not the chance play around with it in a store - So the 45 Lumen sounded not so bright (own a lot other lights).
OK, I ordere it online and I was realy surprised what surefire understand with the claimed 45 lumen.
So I was extremly surpirsed by the output and runtime - and the overall quality.
Then I thougt Ok, need the L1 with the "significant" more 20 Lumen.
OK, the L1 UI is wonderfull and Iam able to twist it in my hand without need the second hand to twist. Its a little longer and the body ist perfect.
But shock - my E1L ist brighter. I think it depends on the perfect beamquality. There are no dark or bright areas not a little one. The E1L beam looks perfect, like a cut out.
The beam of my L1 ist not so perfect - and maybe this is the reason why it looks a bit weaker (whitwall and outside)

The runtime of the E1L is also much more better - so I love it and will buy a second one soon (savequeen).

Anybody else get a stronger E1L compared to L1??

Regards

Steve

My E1L is definitely brighter than my L1. My L1 really has been outclassed by the E1L. So much so, that I rarely use my L1 anymore. I still like it, but the E1L is brighter, smaller, and I like the clicky switch better.

My E1L is almost as bright as both of my E1B's. I really think it's an over-achiever. I put the Z68 tailcap on it so I can put a lanyard on it and hang it around my neck. It's one of my favorite lights.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Which UI do you like more, your 6P's or your E1E's?

Honestly I dont know exactly what UI means..User..something? And I love both the 6P and E1e so a clicky or twitsy matters to me not. I am starting to think that what I may do is this- go with the L1 right now, then whenever the Lx1 comes out I'll get that as well and the would pretty much take care of the E1L that I wanted to get because I like the L1's size for reasons then I also like the E1e and Lx1's size (also the lx1 has a diff body, no knurling, smooth shape and its an eye catchy light to me) I feel that it may even out my small collection too since it will be my only SF w/o knurling and a diff color, right now all I have is black. so im hoping this will be my decision!
Also does the L1 only come in olive drab? Because I dont want to order one and end up w/ a black or silver when I want OD. If it only comes in OD, awesome!

steve68

Newly Enlightened
Big Ed:
My E1L is definitely brighter than my L1. My L1 really has been outclassed by the E1L. So much so, that I rarely use my L1 anymore. I still like it, but the E1L is brighter, smaller, and I like the clicky switch better.

My E1L is almost as bright as both of my E1B's. I really think it's an over-achiever. I put the Z68 tailcap on it so I can put a lanyard on it and hang it around my neck. It's one of my favorite lights.

Hello Big Ed - good to here, so Iam not allone with a weak L1.
Do you also get a perfect beam on the E1L and a less perfect one with the L1?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Big Ed - good to here, so Iam not allone with a weak L1.
Do you also get a perfect beam on the E1L and a less perfect one with the L1?

Hi Steve, I don't really think that my L1 is necessarily weak, I think my E1L is just a really good one. The beam is very good on my E1L, and slightly off center on my L1. It doesn't bother me though.

I've always been of the opinion that the L1 is much longer than it really needs to be for a 1-123 light, and the E1L just seems more like a 1-123 light should be.

Last edited:

steve68

Newly Enlightened
So I have also a good E1L- and I am happy with that,

thanks for your reply.

by the way - my next surefire is orderd - E2D Defender LED.

Steve

Size15's

Flashaholic
So I have also a good E1L- and I am happy with that,

thanks for your reply.

by the way - my next surefire is orderd - E2D Defender LED.

Steve
Hi Steve,
The convention for clarity and to avoid confusion is to refer to LED versions by the model number rather than the model name.
Thus E2DL rather than "E2D LED Defender" or "E2D LED" etc
(6PL, G2L, 6PDL, G2ZL, C2L, G3L)

I hope you enjoy your E2DL!

Al :)