Mini Flashlight for the Marine Corps

cherryboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. This is my second post here. All right then, down to business.

I am signing up at the Marine Corps recruiting office as 6000 in the field of Aviation maintenance. If I was ever to go out and patrol, I would like a 4AA flashlight for illumination such as reading a map. Based upon hours of research, I have found out about the Fenix L2D.

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2d.htm

Now I don't mind the battery life because it gives me a large amount of lighting for 2AA batteries.
Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (2.4hrs)

I was wondering if there was a flashlight that is similar to the Fenix L2D but:

1. It would run on 4AA batteries, thus having double the lumens and hours seen above.
2. Same rugged, waterproof construction.
3. Same accessories
-cone to be put on top of the flashlight to act as a lantern
-different colored covers (red to preserve night vision, blue to look for blood)

I don't need a strobe option or different lighting settings, just click on for high power and click off for low power.

Thank you for being patient and answering. Please feel free to ask me any questions so that I may help you.

If there is not a solution, I guess I'll just have a 2D Maglite converted to the Roar of the Pelican mod.

http://edcfeatures.blogspot.com/2007/01/do-it-yourself-roar-of-pelican-rop.html

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twice the batteries will give you either twice the output or about 1 1/2 times the brightness, due to efficiency droop at higher currents.

For a 2AA light, take a look at EagleTac and Jetbeam. Both companies make some pretty nice lights.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please bear in mind you'll need to be using rechargeable AAs to get the performance quoted. Alkalines cannot produce the current necessary and will greatly erode performance.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
You might check with an active duty marine to see what they issue for patrols and what they allow on patrols. They might not allow you to bring your own light.

Your best bet would probably be to wait until you finish training. Even if they allow you to use your own light on patrol you might benefit from the experience of instructors who have been in the dirt and know what works.

I would think a light with secondary red output might be beneficial or even required. I doubt that marines dig around in their pockets for their red filter – it is probably attached or built-in.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Not exactly to your specifications, but have you looked at:
First-Light USA Tomahawk NV Angle-Head Flashlight?

I would imagine this would be very functional in the situations you will encounter. It has various colors (including Red and IR),Molle attachment, Finger clip to allow for using both hands, or to help prevent dropping it in the tight confines of an aircraft.
The USMC has been very good about C123 battery availabiltiy. Most of the flashlights issued to troops are Surefires.

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
I don't think you should buy anything...you're just enlisting?
They're not going to let you bring/use your toys in basic training.
I'd wait till you graduate

Besides, "Aviation maintenance" and "patrolling"? :poke:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly to your specifications, but have you looked at:
First-Light USA Tomahawk NV Angle-Head Flashlight?

I would imagine this would be very functional in the situations you will encounter. It has various colors (including Red and IR),Molle attachment, Finger clip to allow for using both hands, or to help prevent dropping it in the tight confines of an aircraft.
The USMC has been very good about C123 battery availabiltiy. Most of the flashlights issued to troops are Surefires.
+1

Yeah, I'd recommend him a Tomahawk as well.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Hi everybody. This is my second post here. All right then, down to business.

I am signing up at the Marine Corps recruiting office as 6000 in the field of Aviation maintenance. If I was ever to go out and patrol, I would like a 4AA flashlight for illumination such as reading a map. Based upon hours of research, I have found out about the Fenix L2D.

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2d.htm

Now I don't mind the battery life because it gives me a large amount of lighting for 2AA batteries.
Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (2.4hrs)

I was wondering if there was a flashlight that is similar to the Fenix L2D

1. It would run on 4AA batteries, thus having double the lumens and hours seen above.
2. Same rugged, waterproof construction.
3. Same accessories
-cone to be put on top of the flashlight to act as a lantern
-different colored covers (red to preserve night vision, blue to look for blood)

I don't need a strobe option or different lighting settings, just click on for high power and click off for low power.

Thank you for being patient and answering. Please feel free to ask me any questions so that I may help you.

If there is not a solution, I guess I'll just have a 2D Maglite converted to the Roar of the Pelican mod.

http://edcfeatures.blogspot.com/2007/01/do-it-yourself-roar-of-pelican-rop.html

Wait until you are getting off the bus at Parris Island and ask your DI- demand that he give you an answer right away and inform him you will not exit the bus until he does.
After your 1,000 pushups- ask a jarhead that has recently returned from the sandbox what works. Say hi to the sandfleas for me.

Last edited:

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
Semper Fidelis , don't get a light for that reason if your just joining up wait until you get out of bootcamp and or school. "If I was ever to go out and patrol" from what I remember about the Air Wingers you want be doing any thing close to patrolling. Not to say having a good high quality light want come in very handy in the field you have picked.

1. Wait until you are done with school
2. See what the other jarheads are using once you get to your duty station
3. See what kind of batteries are available to you from supply
4. If you can see them, they can see you

buy extra boot bands, be able to do twice the miles, seatups and pull-ups that you recruiter tells you to be able to do.

Don't use soap for the first time your in the shower( they will rush you so fast that you want be able to wash it off)

Understand you are going somewhere like prison for 13 weeks

Good luck and thank you for the service to our country

hotlight

Enlightened
wait till your out of boot camp...... you might need a light for MCT, and you will most likely need a red filter- they call it "light discipline". at ITB I used a cheap molle pentagon with the red filter and that was good enough--still got b@#tched at.

you will not be allowed to take a light(or anything) to boot camp, you'll get issued a "moon beam".

something better will be available when you really need to buy one.

123 batteries were never hard to get a hold of.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely wait till you find out what you need, and what will be allowed. There are several lights available that allow multiple color outputs, displacing the need for filters. The newer Fenix LD20 is brighter, and has a newer, more efficient LED. Pick up that, if you're unable to choose any CR123 lights. Fenix also has diffuser wands, in multiple colors, as well as (I think) aftermarket filters available.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Don't bring anything with you to boot camp! They'll immeadiately take all of your personal belongings and make you inventory them and you won't be able to touch them until you get out! If you do decide to bring a flashlight with you, they're going to call it a dildo and then proceed to smoke the S*** out of you for hours (ie "fun" runs, suicides, push ups, pull ups etc) during which, they'll question your sexual orientation and repeatedly ask you why you brought a dildo with you to the Marine Corps boot camp. The marine core will supply "everything" you'll need. Like many here have already suggested, wait until you become a Marine to even think about buying a decent flashlight.

Good Luck!

Last edited: