Yes, indeed: a LED-recommendation on the incan-forum!

325addict

Enlightened
To anyone who hates that awful color of the well-known Cree Q5 and R2 and alike-LEDs: I found a D26 LED drop-in at DX that we, as incan lovers, ALL should try! For that $8.99 you can't go wrong.... it is even way better than those "neutral white" LED's found in, for instance, the Fenix TK20.

So here we go: it features a Cree P3 LED, has a total of 5 modes: (measured current draw @ 7.4V and Lumens manufacturer-rated):

low: 40 Lumens, 80mA
mid: 80 Lumens, 300mA
high: 110 Lumens, 700mA
strobe
SOS
It has a GOOD regulation from about 4V to over 8V
a TRULY good working memory, returns to the last setting used,
input voltage: 4.5 - 8.4V
Beam pattern: quite throwy, like Lumens Factory incan-modules BUT with very decent spill also!!

DX SKU #17592

More? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17592

This one is not so blindingly bright, but the color of this light is soooo pleasing to the eyes compared to ANY other LED-drop in I have seen to date, that I just wanted to inform the incan-community here :)
It just looks very similar to an incan, it is a little bit more to... well, to the PINK side I would say, but never irritating so.

I'm curious what you all think about it,

Timmo.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
To anyone who hates that awful color of the well-known Cree Q5 and R2 and alike-LEDs: I found a D26 LED drop-in at DX that we, as incan lovers, ALL should try! For that $8.99 you can't go wrong.... it is even way better than those "neutral white" LED's found in, for instance, the Fenix TK20.

So here we go: it features a Cree P3 LED, has a total of 5 modes: (measured current draw @ 7.4V and Lumens manufacturer-rated):

strobe
SOS
Beam pattern: quite throwy, like Lumens Factory incan-modules BUT with very decent spill also!!

DX SKU #17592

This one is not so blindingly bright, but the color of this light is soooo pleasing to the eyes compared to ANY other LED-drop in I have seen to date, that I just wanted to inform the incan-community here :)
It just looks very similar to an incan, it is a little bit more to... well, to the PINK side I would say, but never irritating so.

Timmo.
How does it compare against the Malkoff M60W MC-E when it comes to tint and color rendering?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may have a lower color temperature, but what is the CRI? Without a higher CRI than normal LEDs, you might as well get a Q3 or Q4 with a 5A, 5B, or 5C tint, and get much higher efficiency.

325addict

Enlightened
An MC-E LED is MUCH whiter/blueisher than this one. What the CRI is, I don't know. It is not stated.

All I know is that this one is by far the most acceptable LED I've seen so far.

I'm not a LED-guy by nature, nearly all of my lights are incans. I never tried all those you listed now.
Still, of course, nothing beats a good incan :thumbsup:

But this LED-module is well worth a try, especially for this amount of money, and the fact it just does what is promised: it actually HAS a good regulation and a proper memory (not returning to one mode earlier-than-used-before).

This module even made it to one of my C2 Centurions, where it is in permanently now. NO other LED drop-in ever came so far, I ditched them within .... uhhh.... not minutes, no, SECONDS :green:

Timmo.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the highest CRI XR-E is about 80. They don't even come close to an SSC at 93 or a Nichia at 92 Rated/96 Tested(by McGizmo).

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MC-E LED is MUCH whiter/blueisher than this one. What the CRI is, I don't know. It is not stated.

All I know is that this one is by far the most acceptable LED I've seen so far.

I'm not a LED-guy by nature, nearly all of my lights are incans. I never tried all those you listed now.
Still, of course, nothing beats a good incan :thumbsup:

But this LED-module is well worth a try, especially for this amount of money, and the fact it just does what is promised: it actually HAS a good regulation and a proper memory (not returning to one mode earlier-than-used-before).

This module even made it to one of my C2 Centurions, where it is in permanently now. NO other LED drop-in ever came so far, I ditched them within .... uhhh.... not minutes, no, SECONDS :green:

Timmo.
An MC-E LED is MUCH whiter/blueisher than this one.

I know that, I was talking about the M60W MC-E. It's the Malkoff Warm white version.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that, .
...i suspect many true incan lovers don't know that emitters are binned by tint and flux, nor that the emitters have specific CRI ratings. And why? you need to know voltage, but a line of LA's doesn't come in multiple colours...a p91 is a p91, an 1185 is an 1185, though it can be under or over driven. But its a whole other concept to learn that all P4's are not equal, that there are several colours of scc p4's.
If the comments were transposed to automobiles, some things would read: 'what colour is a Ford?' or 'Corvettes are ghostly blue.' Sure, a ghostly blue coloured corvette may exist, but other coloured corvettes are made too.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
...i suspect many true incan lovers don't know that emitters are binned by tint and flux, nor that the emitters have specific CRI ratings. And why? you need to know voltage, but a line of LA's doesn't come in multiple colours...a p91 is a p91, an 1185 is an 1185, though it can be under or over driven. But its a whole other concept to learn that all P4's are not equal, that there are several colours of scc p4's.
If the comments were transposed to automobiles, some things would read: 'what colour is a Ford?' or 'Corvettes are ghostly blue.' Sure, a ghostly blue coloured corvette may exist, but other coloured corvettes are made too.

We are not talking about the tint of the LED, but its CRI, which measures how full of a spectrum the light is outputting. I like incans, but I do know that LEDs have different tint and flux bins...
This conversation is nothing like the car analogy you stated. Color and CRI are not the same; you can have a light that outputs all yellow, like a high pressure sodium, which only has a CRI of about 26. However, you can have an Incan that is also "yellow" in color/tint, but has a CRI of 100. Even warm tinted LEDs do not have CRI's of 100, no matter what the color temperature.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I suspect there are a lot more 'Incan Jockeys' who know about LED bin classification (tint &/or flux) than there are 'LED Jockeys' who know about CRI rating, or even what it means.

Timmo, I appreciate where you are coming from in making the post, and that is indeed an economical option, and therefore worth trying. I also tried another wider & P7 drop-in that FiveMega mentioned in this sales thread.

I ordered one just to try. --Thanks!

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color and CRI are not the same
Heh, I'm well aware of the colour rendition index and associated emitter ratings. But thanx for the response.
I suggested to one poster that others may not be informed on this area, that she/he may need to add a little more to their question so that another understood and was able to answer it. I kept my comment general to avoid pointing anyone out, lest she/he take offense at the correction.

325addict

Enlightened
Well, I know of the different bins / different colors, but I actually DON'T know what bin of P3 Cree is what color etc etc.
To me, as a general rule of thumb, I can rule out ANY Q5 or R2 LED. They are ALL far too blueish for me (at least, all I have ever seen).

That said, I yesterday tried to "recognize" all kinds of colors with this P3 drop-in, and that was in fact no problem at all! ALL colors were really good to perfectly recognizable but for one: white! When a white wall was lit with this P3 drop-in, it was a little more to the pink side than an incan. But truly not irritatingly so.

So I stick to my statement: any incan-lover should try this one. Forget about CRI, bins, Q5, R2 or P3: just order one and be amazed ;)
It has three different, useful(!) levels, and THAT can't be said for our incans :green:
Pair this one with a 2X 18650 host and you'll have more than 24 hours of light on low. And I can tell you: this "low" isn't too low to be useful when a blackout should occur.... the perfect blend of throw and spill makes it a very good all-purpose light.

Timmo.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Timmo, thanks again for the suggestion. I'll try to remember and follow up with my impressions after I get it.

One tip on the multi-level idea....that has been available for Incands for quite a while with AW's multi-level, soft starting drivers for a number of body types. Then JimmyM and AlanB have a completely programmable driver that quite honestly blows away the LED drivers I have seen...because you decide what settings you want, including low battery protection.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Is Dealextreme the only place to purchase this LED?

How long does it usually take to get delivered from China?

I don't understand how it can be so inexpensive being that it's shipped from China. I'm amazed. Maybe I will order this LED since I'm looking for a drop in for my G2L.

Thanks.

325addict

Enlightened
To the Netherlands, it usually takes about 10 days.

And indeed, it is shipped to you without any extra shipping-costs. I think they all know at DX that when you actually sit down behind your computer to order ONE item, you will find more fine gadgets and will end up ordering not ONE, but TEN items ;)

I'll give you some hints:

1. SKU 12594: el-cheapo but very useful Li-ion dual bay charger. Charges ANYTHING from 16340s to 18650s. Can even take 12V from your car battery. This one has ONE drawback: it will keep the batteries to 4.2V even after the LEDs go green. Remove batteries when LEDs go green!

2. SKU 903: the well-known, famous Ultrafire WF-501B. Never experienced this 2X CR123A-flashlight? Then take this chance for $9,71! You won't be disappointed. It is just as bright as a Surefire C3 Centurion with P90!!!

3. SKU 1100: the well known Fauxtons. For only $4,58 you will get TEN(!) of these insanely bright keychain-lights!

4. SKU 3246: D26 3.7V / 10W drop-ins. Very, very bright and good beam quality. For only $3.09 a piece!

5. a Romisen 1X AAA light, with crenelated bezel. In a kind of light blue anodized and with Cree LED. Good throw due to larger reflector than usual. Just a very nice light for about $15,-
Yes, found it:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12065
You should really try this one, it is as good as it gets for this money!!

So... there it is, you'll end up with at least six items :wave:
Best of all: tried & tested by a critical flashaholic ;)

Timmo.

DM51

Flashaholic
I can see you had a perfectly genuine purpose in posting this in the Incan forum, but the fact remains that it is an LED and it does not belong here.

I'm moving it to the General section, as it is a general discussion. You might want to consider changing the thread title.

Mikellen

Enlightened

strobe
SOS

DX SKU #17592

Timmo.

Is there a version of this LED from DX without the SOS and strobe?
The 3 modes or even just one mode would be fine (with warm tint of course).

Marduke

Flashaholic
It is WH tint, NOT "warm". WH is technically cool white.

You can get R2-WH, so I fail to see a reason to step 2+ years back in time and get a P3 flux bin...

Mikellen

Enlightened
It is WH tint, NOT "warm". WH is technically cool white.

You can get R2-WH, so I fail to see a reason to step 2+ years back in time and get a P3 flux bin...

In regards to the WH, I was thinking the same thing. But on the DX website it states this LED has a color temperature between 2600K and 3700K. The OP states the tint color is very warm colored similar to incan. Needless to say that I'm a little confused now.

Last edited:

Latest posts