Which flashlight is best for a security guard?

leee

Newly Enlightened
So now I need a flashlight: I recently started working as a security guard, and some places I go are rather dark. I started carrying around the cheap rechargable flashlight from walmart with the pistol grip, but it lasts maybe 20 minutes and is very awkward to carry because with the pistol grip, it's out of balance, no matter how you carry it. It's ok for what I originally got it for, but it's not at all useful now.

What I'm looking for is:

+ rechargeable from a 12V source (cigarette lighter)
+ heat resistant (it gets to 120F easily in the summer inside the truck in the shade; light stays in the truck, batteries must not explode when the light is sitting in the truck in the sun)
+ easy to carry
+ one charge must last at least two hours
+ must still provide useful light at a distance of 100 yards
+ must not cost more than $100

It doesn't need to be the brightest light there is, only the most useful one for the purpose. Maybe there are things/features I haven't even thought about, so all advice is welcome. I don't know anything about flashlights other than that batteries are always empty.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Re: Which flashlight is best for ...

I'm not sure about the 100 yard thing, that's kinda tough to meet with any small handheld light. A Task Force 2C will give you solid light out to about 50 yards for more than 2 hours between batteries. Not recharging from a car tho'.

Dunno how many lights out there do that other than something like a Streamlight Strion (which barely lasts 2 hrs on high, and costs around $100 or more, iirc)

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just over at E-Bay-the Dorcy can be bought for as low as $39.95.I've always liked lights with sideswitches-I may pick one up myself.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would suggest one of the stingers. Not too expensive (the regular stingers sit in the marketplace for a long time before selling - cheap), reliable. Battery probably lasts about an hour though.

If you go with incan model (vs LED) I would suggest the Stinger HP (larger head) or UltraStinger.

The charging cradle can be mounted in the vehicle and plugged into 12v.

I was about to search for them on the marketplace when I realized I had one sitting in my drawer.
Stinger HP http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=10
Streamlight Nylon Holster (the kind where the bottom is open and there is a flap over the top)
Charging cradle with 12v plug (for cigarette lighter)
Extra bulb new in package

If you are interested shoot me an email at nfetterly at gmail.com - you don't have pm privileges here until you have 3 posts. I'll be lower price than the one below on closeout.

I can send photos - light is in almost new condition - one or 2 small scratches on it.

copquest has them on closeout for $69.95 (with AC charger) - other places appear to be in the $70s.

Last edited:

leee

Newly Enlightened

Well, I've been browsing the forum a little ... and it gets more confusing the more I read ... I found the "Flashlight Recommendation Checklist", so maybe it's a good idea to use that:

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

USA, New Mexico, Albuquerque

I would really like to be able to go to a store/some stores and take a look at two or three different lights that come into the closer selection. Only that will give me a good idea of the size and weight.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

about $100

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

I don't really know.

5) What batteries do you want to use?

The light must be rechargeable from a 12V source, preferably without having to remove the batteries. I want to leave it in the truck when I'm not working and recharge it there, rather than having to carry it into the house and back into the truck all the time. I need to run a wire from the battery into the cabin to install more cigarette lighter plugs anyway (only one is just not enough ...) and could make a supply for charging a flashlight when I am at it.

6) How much light do you want?

____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

I don't want to light a camp ground, but being able to dazzle someone could be very useful.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Hm, I need both: Some area light that doesn't need to be very bright, as for walking around, but I also need something that can shine a light on something farther away. Shining a light on something farther away is to allow me to see something/someone from a distance, and it can save me a lot of walking because I won't have to walk all the way to get close.

8) Runtime:

I think it's sufficient (or even plenty) when the far reaching/bright light lasts about one hour. But the area light must last at least 2 hours, better 4 or more.

Having that said, I might end up with two lights, the (larger) far reaching one and another (small) one for the area light. But it would also be good if the area light could be somewhat focused to better illuminate something like 6--8 feet away so that I won't have to switch from one light to the other all the time.

For now, the bright/far reaching light is the priority.

9) Durability

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

Equipment that breaks just sucks, and you end up paying twice ...

8) Switch Type:

____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

The switch should be in reach of the finger that presses it when holding the light.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

Either two light levels, or I need two lights. Using two lights is probably the better way to go: I can carry the one light I actually need and leave the other in the truck (and still get it out if I need it), or I can carry both, whatever works best. Each of the two lights can be optimized for its purpose.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Waterproof – how deep: _____________

Is not required, but it would be nice if it survives if I drop it into the swimming pool ...

____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)

Well, I like the black ones better, but it doesn't really matter.

____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)

That's fine if it's good for what I need it.

____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster

Some sort of clip or holster making it easier to carry it around when not in use would be useful for the bright light. I don't need that now, but I might want to get one later if it turns out that I need it.

The lights must be temperature resistant. It gets 120F in the shade in the truck. If you put a shiny, chromed tool like a ratchet or a wrench outside into the sunlight, it takes about 10 minutes before that tool is so hot that you can barely touch it and have to wait for it to cool down before you can use it. A black light inside a truck with the sun shining on it gets way hotter that that tool, and I cannot guarantee that the light won't eventually sit in the sun in the truck (almost) all day long. I don't want the batteries to explode ...

Can't I just buy a rechargeable Maglite? They are readily available in the store, parts/bulbs for them seem to be easy to come by. I was surprised to read here that they are available since at least 20 years; seems to be a proven light. Are the other choices so much better that I really shouldn't buy one?

tabetha

Newly Enlightened

Firstly with the job I would go LED, without a doubt.
I know you say rechargeable without removing the batteries, but it takes only a few seconds to swap out a 18650 size battery.
My GI buddy now uses a MTE SSC P7-C led light/torch, as he looked at mine and fell in love with it, for well under 100 bucks he got torch/charger/batteries X3.
He used AW 18650 protected cells, a WF-139 charger, and the above light from dealextreme.com, exactly as I have.
It has all the modes you might want low/med/high, even low which is well over 4 hours is bright enough, it's robust, the strobe is blinding, seriously it hurts.
My bud uses it patrolling the(usaf) base about 6" long with knurled barrel so easy to grip.
Charger works off 12v as well.
I don't think you will beat this for the price, max lumen is rated at 900, but others(much more experienced than myself) say around 600 is more like it.
tabetha

nzgunnie

Enlightened

Sorry it's not within your price range, but this might be what you are looking for, as it will light more than 100 yards on high:

http://www.surefire.com/10x-Dominator

Max Output: 60/ 500 lumens
Low/high selections
Runtime: 3 hours/20 minutes
Low/high selections
Length: 9.50 inches
Weight: 20.00 ounces
Battery: One B20 Ni-Cad

Has a DC charging cradle and also an AC adapter.

BIGLOU

Enlightened

I recommend the Streamlight SL20XP http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=89. If you wear a sam browne you could buy the flashlight holder or put in your sap pockets if your uniform pant have them. The SL20 was my first real flashlight. I recommend the Jetbeam-III M as back up light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

SureFire 10X Dominator or any Stinger if you're on a budget.

I'm going to have to agree, these are pretty much the options.

I understand that you would really prefer that the light be rechargeable without taking the batteries out, but this really is your biggest limiting factor. If you would be willing to use a few removable rechargeable cells, it would open a LOT more light options for you.

:welcome:

325addict

Enlightened

Either simply a MagCharger (bright, can be charged in the car without removing battery, and uses "safe chemistry" NiMH batteries that won't explode, AND on top of that has the ability to either have a focused, piercing, far reaching beam OR a floody, not-so-far reaching beam).

disadvantage: heavy and large. Charging time is 15 hours(!) Buy a spare battery.

Although many people here regard it as "obsolete" or "soooo eighties!" it is still a good quality, bright light with a very pleasant color of the light. Really NO LED-light will beat the MagCharger in this :green:
And: it is reliable! Only the bulb will occasionally break down. Put in a new one and you're done.

Or you could take the Surefire 9AN commander. This one uses two different bulbs for the low, floody beam and the high, piercing beam. This one requires removing the battery for charging, however this is done quickly and a 12V cigarette lighter plug is included for the charger. Charging is FAST! This one is much smaller than a MagCharger but still relatively heavy.

disdavantage: expensive, runtime on high only 40 minutes.

Or you could take ONE multimode LED-light like the Wolf Eyes MC-E Sniper that does it all. This one is SOOO bright, it just doesn't matter that is has a quite floody beam. In complete darkness, it will light up to 100 Yards!
This one throws out 580 Lumens (the newer ones even 700 I saw), runtime is about one hour on a single 18650 on HIGH and 3 hours on MEDIUM (30%) and even 50 hours or so on low. This also makes for a great emergency light due to this long runtime!
Chargers for in-car use can be bought for less than $10,- to charge your 18650s.
Maybe you would like to go for "safe chemistry" batteries like AW's IMR-series. They, however DON'T feature a deep-discharge protection, so when drawn fully empty, they're DEAD.
Runtimes will decrease then, because capacity is only about 2/3 of that from a "non-safe chemistry" Li-ion battery.

All the above lights have a metal body and are quite bombproof reliable. The only thing any incan light can kill immediately is to drop it when it is ON.
Maybe, it's best to buy the Wolf Eyes as a backup, and one of the others as a main light. Either way: satisfaction guaranteed :thumbsup:
You just have to spend money ONCE on these lights, as they all last and last and last.... OK they may be more expensive than you initially were after, but.... have a good look at them, and you'll see: it makes sense to buy a REALLY good one right away, as you stated already....

Timmo.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast

Something else to consider-the new Magcharger will be out soon.LED with rechargeable Li-ion battery pack.Not sure what the price will be.

leee

Newly Enlightened

Thanks! That's a lot of lights to check out already :)

I'll probably bring it down to a choice between a Magcharger and one of the Stingers (Stinger/HP/Ultra), with the Streamlight SL20XP as a very interesting option.

Yesterday, I was able to take a look at the Magcharger. There was something about it that I didn't like, but I don't know what. Other than that, the long recharge time they have is a disadvantage.

Tomorrow, I might be able to take a look at the others if they have them in the store. If there isn't any store here that carries them, I might buy the Magcharger because I need to see what I'm going to get, and I need the light on Tuesday night. I don't want to do another shift without a good light. This night, I wanted a flashlight like 50 times and didn't have one ...

But I'll keep reading in the meantime. This forum is cool :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MagCharger in basically designed to be charging all the time, hence the slow charge. It's great if you can get by on a single charge per night. Otherwise, you've got to carry a spare battery (and figure out how to charge it).

The great part about the MagCharger is the aftermarket support. Brighter bulbs, bigger reflectors for more throw, textured reflectors for more flood, reflectors with larger bulb opening to accommodate larger bulbs, higher capacity batteries, extensions for larger batteries, higher current charger mods, etc... Parts and upgrade info for all of this and more is readily available here.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Offering up my Stinger Hp package for $55 shipped Priority - could ship it Monday morning & it would probably be there Wednesday.

I live in Cincinnati and I think Bass Pro Shops is the only place local that has some decent what I would call "work" lights. By that I mean Industrial or an area like Security/Law Enforcement - when you want it to work, it works. I've never used a Magcharger, but I find Mags in general very heavy (I do have a 3C in my car, along with a 3C super sabrelight (Pelican)).

The Stinger Hp is lighter then the 2 above, brighter, recchargeable in the cradle (ni-cad) and tough & reliable - but you probably won't find it in any local stores because it's a higher end / niche light (fitting the niches above).

Warranty - if you don't like it and don't think it's worth your $55, ship it back to me & I'll refund $45 (basically what I get after the priority shipping). Only thing you loose is time. & shipping $

Last edited:

leee

Newly Enlightened

The MagCharger in basically designed to be charging all the time, hence the slow charge.

I'll make it so that it can be charged all the time --- it won't take long to just run a wire from the batteries into the cabin for that. I can install the plugs later when I have time.

But still, shifts are 8 hours, that leaves just 16 hours for recharging. It would work, but I don't want to get tight on it.

It's great if you can get by on a single charge per night. Otherwise, you've got to carry a spare battery (and figure out how to charge it).

Yeah, I thought about that. I won't want to spend another $50 on a spare battery (that's overpriced, anyway), and if I had one, I'd have to make something up to charge it. The $50, I'd rather put towards another light :)

The great part about the MagCharger is the aftermarket support. Brighter bulbs, bigger reflectors for more throw, textured reflectors for more flood, reflectors with larger bulb opening to accommodate larger bulbs, higher capacity batteries, extensions for larger batteries, higher current charger mods, etc... Parts and upgrade info for all of this and more is readily available here.

That's another thing I thought about: availability. Where would I get bulbs or other parts for flashlights that you can only find in speciality stores, if at all? And those stores are closed on Sundays and have very inconvenient hours (when you work at night), which is extremely annoying. I'd eventually have to wait a week to get another bulb or something --- and then they might have to order that, and I'd be without the light for two weeks.

Maglites are easy to get. I don't know for bulbs or batteries for the Magcharger, but perhaps it's possible to just get a different bulb or different batteries and use those until you can get the right parts.

Is it possible to use (rechargable) "standard" (like A or D cells) batteries in a Magcharger or the Stingers?

What I haven't thought about yet is the modifications. I'll have to read up about them. That could be a big advantage.