The SureFire LX1 Thread

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Anyone heard anything new about this bad boy? I know its listed in the catalog which kind of angers me that it' s there but not yet available. Has surefire given a release date on this light?

thanks

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any update on the LX1 Lumamax..?

They have made mention of December, but who knows at the moment

SpyderHS08

Enlightened

C'mon surefire!!
:tired: Were sick of waiting! I need this light, and Im not sure why the Lx2's available but its little brother isnt...hmm?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

At a recent knife show I did get a chance to speak to some Surefire reps about the LX1 and they are still working on it.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LX1 photo spotted!

Clip resting on tailcap :sad:

I don't think it can go any shorter than that. :thinking:
Seems like it will be out soon. Seems.

The Surefire Crank looks like one bad @ss knife. :naughty:

Viper715

Enlightened

M300 yes please. I just need the body as I have a killer KX2 modded setup for that.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Mini Scoutlight! :twothumbs

ETA: Time to lighten things up...

L1X.jpg

Last edited:

zven

Enlightened
Re: The LX1 Thread

Can't say that the clip overlapping the tailcap thrills me, either, as it interferes with twisting for constant-on. But then, given the small size of the light, I don't see any way around this.

I doubt that I'll get an LX1, as I have an L1 and am very happy with it (size, output, knurling, everything). That said, I'd still like to handle one of these when they come out, as the compact size looks very tempting - but might this new model be TOO small?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think it can go any shorter than that. :thinking:
Seems like it will be out soon. Seems.

The Surefire Crank looks like one bad @ss knife. :naughty:

The older short clip like what's on the L1 might even be too long for this one. I would just remove it completely & free pocket one that size, except you have to leave S.F.'s clips in place. Or the nub of your broken clip.

O.T. but I wonder if S.F. had to pay SpyderCo anything, or if a hex shape is different enough from their circular opening hole. I've heard other companies have, paid to use the sypderco's hole.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those output numbers right? I was hoping it would have a higher output on high.... :(

lotsalumens

Enlightened

I don't understand the departure from knurling. Is it aesthetics over function, or are they cheaper to manufacture? Love the output and runtime of some of the newer models (LX2 for instance), but my older Surefire LEDs were more grippy. The smoother lights look nice but the lack of knurling feels a little like a design downgrade.

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened

Are those output numbers right? I was hoping it would have a higher output on high.... :(

i have a feeling that for the LX1 those numbers are a bit conservative, thats around what actually outputs the current L1 cree.

However i am more interested on the optics of choice this time, the current L1 is really good and popular, so it wouldnt surprise me if they havent made anything radical, perhaps a more evolutionary step is what we will see.

2 things that made this light popular:

1.- the heaviest reason: their great 2 stage momentary switch on a 1 cell package
2.- the TIR optics for this model is very practical

im sure 1 wont chage in concept, but probably a revision on the reliability of the 3 contact tabs inside the tailcap has been made
reason 2, i hope they have continued with their philosophy of a balanced light of throw and spill, perhaps they tried to improve it, but i surely hope they continue this philosophy on the LX1

about the clip: i mentioned it when we first saw the SF catalogs, but if the twist has improved with less travel it wont be an issue, also if this is the case it means it would be easier to operate on one hand.

i must say though, it will be hard to beat the current L1, specially if you mod one with a warmer tint led, i found interesting facts when i did mine:

1.- as i used an R2 bin output went up (well this one was a given at that time as the R2 where fresh news)
2.- the warmer color seems to be easier on the eyes, specially while looking directly into the hotspot, which to me is GREAT, and is what i think the best result of the mod, and the throw remains

does someone have had the same experience with warmer beams?, are the hotspots easier to look at?, logical reasoning seems to support this, as blues are harder on the eyes.

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened

I don't understand the departure from knurling. Is it aesthetics over function, or are they cheaper to manufacture? Love the output and runtime of some of the newer models (LX2 for instance), but my older Surefire LEDs were more grippy. The smoother lights look nice but the lack of knurling feels a little like a design downgrade.

I thought the same thing when the LX2 was first announced, my opinion was that knurling cost more and therefore the departure. I seem to remember taking some heat for thinking that way but it still seems reasonable to me. But no matter what the reason, for me, the knurling is superior for grippyness. I also continue to believe it looks better.

zven

Enlightened

Regarding the knurling, I suspect that more went into SureFire's decision to drop it for these models than just aesthetics or cost. In fact, I've heard it suggested that the knurling is relatively easy to machine, while the new fluted design is a bit more difficult, and thus possibly a little more costly.

Rather, I would guess that SF wanted to use the fluted design so as to provide adequate grip (particularly for twisting the tailcap) while allowing the light to slide more easily in and out of pockets. The knurling is great for grip, but it does wear down on fabrics, and it can make it harder to clip/unclip the light.

That said, I like the knurling as well, and although I think the fluted machining is well suited to casual EDC, I simply can't imagine choosing a non-knurled light for more rugged outdoor use. I may like the LX2 for use around the house, in the city, etc., but if I'm going out hiking or camping, I'll definitely take my L1 for its knurling.