WOW got my new Fenix TK40 LED torch.

apples

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK40 Hell yeah.

This thing is pretty dam bright.

So bright that it was attracting the moths within seconds as I was walking in the backyard. They were all buzzing around my feet and legs. I didn't know what it was at first as I was just looking at where the torch beam was.

Felt like long grass hitting my legs, then I look down and holly crap, look at all these bugs and moths.

It wasn't just a few.

It was literally like when you look at floodlight that is on you back patio and there are bugs and moths everywhere.

WOW!

I have never owned a LED torch before and the light is so bright that when driving the car out in the paddock I turned the car lights onto low beam and stuck the Fenix TK40 out the window on TURBO mode.

It was just like the high beam on the car, even better as the white light is just brighter compared to the yellow looking headlights.

Which brings me to my next thing.

The white colour temperature of the light is so bright that you see the light beam too much nearly. You can see the light beam along it's whole length.

It may just be the dust in the air or something, and the light is reflecting back on all the little dust particles??

Being used to the normal incandesant globes or halogen or krypton bulbs this beam if light was frankly and is a bit annoying.

Is there any way to change the colour temperature of my Fenix TK40 torch? Maybe this might help?

And is there any way to some how change the beam pattern?

It has a very wide spill (from my experience with cheap torches), then a very hot and bright center where the beam is. Which I find too bright, as I'm used to a yellow color.

It's like the colour temperature is so bright and vivid that wher the center of the beam is, it reflects back more. Which to me is not as good as the vison you get from a normal flashlight.

This would I guess be the same on any LED torch.

What are people thoughts?

Cheers,
Peter
Australia

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, you don't need to keep you new TK40 aways on turbo ... :p

Try it out sometimes on the second or third level and you will see that some of your problems will be solved. ;)

Larbo

Enlightened
If you really dont care for it...I will give you a 100 for it:rolleyes:

:welcome:

Databyter

Enlightened
Peter, you don't need to keep you new TK40 aways on turbo ... :p

Try it out sometimes on the second or third level and you will see that some of your problems will be solved. ;)

He beat me to it.

Turbo is for those times when you need POWER POWER POWER.

and when you do you won't be annoyed that it is too bright, and I'd like to up the bidding to $101 if you still can't deal with it.

Larbo

Enlightened
He beat me to it.

Turbo is for those times when you need POWER POWER POWER.

and when you do you won't be annoyed that it is too bright, and I'd like to up the bidding to $101 if you still can't deal with it.

Raises hand...105:popcorn:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK40 Hell yeah.

This thing is pretty dam bright.

So bright that it was attracting the moths within seconds as I was walking in the backyard. They were all buzzing around my feet and legs. I didn't know what it was at first as I was just looking at where the torch beam was.

Felt like long grass hitting my legs, then I look down and holly crap, look at all these bugs and moths.

It wasn't just a few.

It was literally like when you look at floodlight that is on you back patio and there are bugs and moths everywhere.

WOW!

I have never owned a LED torch before and the light is so bright that when driving the car out in the paddock I turned the car lights onto low beam and stuck the Fenix TK40 out the window on TURBO mode.

It was just like the high beam on the car, even better as the white light is just brighter compared to the yellow looking headlights.

Which brings me to my next thing.

The white colour temperature of the light is so bright that you see the light beam too much nearly. You can see the light beam along it's whole length.

It may just be the dust in the air or something, and the light is reflecting back on all the little dust particles??

Being used to the normal incandesant globes or halogen or krypton bulbs this beam if light was frankly and is a bit annoying.

Is there any way to change the colour temperature of my Fenix TK40 torch? Maybe this might help?

And is there any way to some how change the beam pattern?

It has a very wide spill (from my experience with cheap torches), then a very hot and bright center where the beam is. Which I find too bright, as I'm used to a yellow color.

It's like the colour temperature is so bright and vivid that wher the center of the beam is, it reflects back more. Which to me is not as good as the vison you get from a normal flashlight.

Cheers,
Peter
Australia
That's because LEDs suck compared to incans, when it comes to color rendering, contrast and depth perception. They are extremely unnatural, pale and cold light sources. All you need is a powerful incan, sell your light and build something like a ROP, a Mag85 or a "Leefed" SureFire. Check the Incandescent and the Mods and Custom B/S/T sections.

Cheers.

cbxer55

Enlightened
That's because LEDs suck compared to incans, when it comes to color rendering, contrast and depth perception. They are extremely unnatural, pale and cold light sources. All you need is a powerful incan, sell your light and build something like a ROP, a Mag85 or a "Leefed" SureFire. Check the Incandescent and the Mods and Custom B/S/T sections.

Cheers.

And buy stock in the company. they'll make a fortune off of ya selling you replacement bulbs.:shakehead
Incans go :poof:
LEDs do not.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
It sounds like you are displeased with everything that makes the TK40 what it is - an EXTREMELY bright, floody beam with a nice hotspot.

There is no need to sell it and throw your money down the drain on an incandescent light. Sell it and buy a light with R2 WH pill in it and you will have spectacular color rendition outdoors, a BRIGHT light without being so bright as to (apparently) annoy you, and you will avoid all the concerns of having your bulb go :poof: just when you need it most.

As for seeing the beam in the air, that is a natural side effect of a bright light and particulate matter in the air. You would get the same thing with any incandescent lights such as the ROP.

There is an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this forum. Let us know what you need from a light, and we can recommend several options to you based on your needs.

Larbo

Enlightened
The TK40 is good at whats its designed to do, throw a beam of bright light, on a positive note if you stranded in the woods you can catch the moths and other bugs it attracts and get a meal out of it.:whistle:

apples

Newly Enlightened
Whoa there fellas I never said It was for sale....

Yes I agree with what KD7EIR said:
It sounds like you are displeased with everything that makes the TK40 what it is - an EXTREMELY bright, floody beam with a nice hotspot.

I'm not displeased, just I guess you would say not used to the LED color mainly.

It's just different to what I have been using for the last 20 years that's all.

Ha ha, at the moment my 3D cell maglight batteries are flat as pancakes. The TK40 out shines the maglite on low with the flat batteries.

Kilovolt, not to sound sarcastic or have a go at you but yeah I know that I don't have to have it on TURBO all the time.

Well I have it set on LOW and use it to chase the kids back to bed in the middle of the night. When on LOW and the light points up to the ceiling the whole room is lit up pretty well considering that it is on low.

This would be a great black out light, just for that purpose of aim up at the roof to illuminate a room.

Outdoors Fanatic,
One of the main reasons that I wanted a LED was yes for the power but mainly for the long life of the batteries.

I mean it says 150hrs on low power, that is phenominal to me.

cmoazz

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine on Friday, it's my first flashlight, well... ever. I went all out and straight to LED and I'm glad I did. I had no idea about lumen ratings. I was debating getting the Fenix TK11 R2 which has 90/250 lumen modes(going by my memory on that) which now that I know how powerful it is(since TK40 has 13/90/250/630) would have been perfect for my needs. I'm happy with my extremely powerful 630lumen monster though :) The rechargeable eneloops are a great benefit also! As someone else said I've ruined myself because now I will never want a weaker light haha. This thing is amazing, truely appreciated when outdoors and you can see what a beast it really is.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers.
Always the bright spot on the horizon huh... :p

But yes, you CAN start a build, but for get going ROP route, it wont be THAT much brighter. you need Mag85 and up

but yup, just remember, there is NO incan in the world that can match a LED for run time

Crenshaw

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
TK40 is a good choice of light! As your first powerful LED light, I just like to throw some advice. Runing 4x4 batteries do require some battery knowledge and about putting batteries of the same voltage. I'm not sure if you're using NiMH rechargeables or alkalines. Fenix designed the light to work on alkalines as a backup purpose, meant to run steady on low and medium. For heavier prolong usage at mostly high, turbo, I recommend rechargeables like eneloops. They work well on higher current draws. Invest on good batteries for your TK40. :)

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK40 Hell yeah.

You can design your own filter to change the colour? But personally I like to cool on this TK40, not so much over the blue side but warmer.

And is there any way to some how change the beam pattern? ?

You mean like flood and spot? The spill is by design and the TK40 is also a thrower. I use the spill to read or to look at something closer but not focusing on the hotspot. I know it can appear too bright on low setting in pitch black situations, I use the spill.

Last edited:

apples

Newly Enlightened
Actually I'm getting used to it now.

I don't regret buying it at all.

roadie

Enlightened
so when are u going to do some bush hunting with it?

shine at some dingos ..... :)

remember to take beamshoots and post it here :)