'Compact' THROWER suggestions (under $130)

ccondrey

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop in. I love this light, but it doesn't quite reach out far enough. (I play frisbee with my dogs in a park early in the morning, and I want to be able to spot the other side of the field to make sure there are no other critters out there with us)

I need a light that will throw 100' or so further than the 6P with M60 drop in it. I would like it to be able to take two CR123a batteries. I would rather spend $80ish on this light, but I want something good quality. If you can specifically compare the light you are recommending to the 6P/M60 combo even better.

I've read several threads and reviews, but thought I should start a thread on this particular subject.

Thanks -

chef4850

Enlightened
I like the jetbeam rrt-1 for the build quality and price is reasonable. I reciently got a ultra fire 007 recoil led and I have to say it is awesome! i have several light with columinator heads. The 007 recoil has a much bigger and more useable beam than any of the others. Throws a LOOOOOOONG way. The price is approx. $50.00-$60.00 and the build quality is pretty good on my light.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A LumaPower MRV SK v1.1 fits the bill perfectly - tons of throw, under $80, excellent quality, 2xCR123a or 1x18650.

LowFlux

Enlightened
I find the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-1 is a bit big for pocket carry. IMO the Jetbeam RRT-2 is more pocket-friendly with a respectable throw for the smaller head. You can "outshine" the hotspot of the M60 with either Raptor when shining them to your feet from a standing position. Neither Raptor comes with a clip or lanyard. People have complained that the Raptor isn't pretty with rings when white-walling; but I've never noticed the rings when using it in real applications. The low is also not very low...

Another light to consider would be the Liteflux LF5XT which I have heard is a respectable thrower with a smaller head than a Dereelight or many of the other "throwers". I don't own one to say definitively, but it may be worth a look.

gilly

Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-1 or RRT-2 Raptor. Top notch quality; unsurpassed fit and finish. Runs on 2 x CR123A, 2 x RCR-123 or an 18650. Rotating ring controls levels (behind bezel). You will be impressed and very pleased with these lights. RRT-1 will throw further but has a larger head you may not want. RRT-2 throws pretty well and has a more compact form. My RRT-2 will easily light things up very well at the end of the 120-yard field behind my home. Both have deep reflectors and will throw considerably further than your present setup.

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/raptorrrt1.html

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/raptorrrt2.html

You can add the low profile crenelated tailcap bezel which protects the switch, allows it to tailstand and has slots for you to attach a lanyard (see bottom of listing for above two items).

discount code: cpfjet

Good luck!;)

Last edited:

Spence

Enlightened
My vote goes for the Lumapower D-Mini 1 X 123 with the optional D 65 battery tube for an 18650. The D-Mini comes with two reflectors, which is nice because one is for exceptional throw, and it does. I happen to like the looks of the D-Mini with its unique head and natural finish. Even with the optional body, it's within your budget.:thumbsup:

Toaster

Enlightened
Malkoff M60 = 6500 lux @ 1M
Eagletac T20C2 w/OP reflector = 15,300 lux @ 1M

Take square root of lux @ 1M to compare throw. By the numbers T20C2 has approximately 50% greater throw than your M60. Currently T20C2 has the best throw in it's class and fits your budget, so that would be my recommendation if it reaches far enough for you. If not, you'll have to step up to the dedicated throwers like DBS/RRT-1/A10 which don't exactly qualify as compact imho.