How much better is XP-G Cree?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I guess the specs are out there somewhere, even though the LEDs themselves aren't. I've heard about them on this board recently, but I just tried doing a search for XPG and XP-G and got no results.

Here's my question: If a Fenix LD20 with a Cree Q5can put out 180 lumens using 2AA batteries, how many lumens can we expect if that same flashlight were upgraded to a Cree XP-G?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LD20 is 180 lumens out the front, then the same setup with a XP-G R4 maybe around 240-250 lumens.

Wondering if the XP-G can handle being driven at 1.2A or more with good heat sinking. We could probably see 300 OTF lumens if it can handle it. It's supposed to be around 340+ emitter lumens at 1A.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they expected to be really expensive?

They are available in the limited Titaium Quarks, XP-G R4's. I think the 1st round of the pre-order is over, but you maybe able to still get in on one, or more. :)

Based on the price of the lights they can't be that much more expensive than the XP-E's, etc.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
m4tid.jpg

Egsise

Banned
If the LD20 is 180 lumens out the front, then the same setup with a XP-G R4 maybe around 240-250 lumens.

Wondering if the XP-G can handle being driven at 1.2A or more with good heat sinking. We could probably see 300 OTF lumens if it can handle it. It's supposed to be around 340+ emitter lumens at 1A.
LD20 is 180 lumens from the emitter, not OTF.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they expected to be really expensive?

Most manufacturers wants to charge us 3x or 4x the current flashlight price when using a new emitter or titanium material.

The new upcoming quarks have both titanium and new XPG, while keeping a very nice selling price of less than $100. Other manufacturers would price a product like this at least $200. So, xpg or titanium it is not really that expensive, they just want to take advantage of excited flashaholics when new products are being released.

Scorpiolyons

Newly Enlightened
Here's my question: If a Fenix LD20 with a Cree Q5can put out 180 lumens using 2AA batteries, how many lumens can we expect if that same flashlight were upgraded to a Cree XP-G?

+1. Waiting for a beamshot comprision between Cree XPG and Cree Q5/R2.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most manufacturers wants to charge us 3x or 4x the current flashlight price when using a new emitter or titanium material.

Agreed. David at 4 Sevens likes to show that top quality is available for a lot less than some of the other mass manufacturers charge (I'm not comparing him to custom but instead some of the other truer comparables). I'm really looking forward to a Ti XP-G Quark as well as his upcoming MCE light.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
Dude i love you!

We know you have a XP-G and the dancing banana tells me that you have not only over-driven the XP-G but that the results where good enough to make you dance like a banana. and you only have the R3, i bet that the R4 will do even better because of the less heat that it makes.

Time to bust out the IMR'S WOOT.:party:

ok its 1 AM and i need to stop thinking about flashlights i won't have for at least 2 months. night all.

Egsise

Banned
Thanks for the clarification. I put that "If" in there for a reason. :) So then the XP-G would be around 240-250 emitter lumens, maybe. :p

Q:
How much better is XP-G Cree?

A:
Maybe

:thinking:

Fenix LD20 Q5_________,__2 Alkaline AA_________high_________163.2,____3 sec_______,
Fenix LD20 Q5_________,__2 Alkaline AA_________high_________158.5,___30 sec_______,
Fenix LD20 Q5_________,__2 Alkaline AA_________high_________157.9,___60 sec_______

So now that we know LD20 is putting that OTF, how many lumens can we expect if that same flashlight was upgraded to a Cree XP-G?