Fox's THE PULSE: Bad Dogs

ewick

Enlightened
Fox\'s THE PULSE: Bad Dogs

Did anyone else watch this last night? I'm sorry I did. They dedicated a segment toward "educating" the public on dog attacks. They went through the usual statistics, talked about a few horrible incidents, then demonstrated how to protect yourself against a vicious dog attack.

Problem is, the dogs used in the demonstration appeared to be properly protection trained. Very intense stuff. The kind of stuff of which you don't want to be on the receiving end. Now, I very seriously doubt that your average dog attack involves animals that react the way these did. Just because Zeke the drug dealer taught his dog how to shake a tire doesn't make the dog protection trained, and Fox failed to make that distinction.

I'm usually a statistics advocate...I'd rather base my opinions on fact rather than assumptions. Yes, I understand that a large dog will do more damage than a small dog while carrying out the same behavior. But I have a huge problem with the CDC's bite/breed numbers. These numbers are based on REPORTED bites, not ALL bites.

Many of the dog owners I know have large-breed dogs: Bullmastiffs, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, etc. I've yet to be bitten by any of their dogs. Or ANY large dog, for that matter. But I have been bitten by small dogs. Many times. Over food. Over a toy. Over their master. Did it hurt? Not really. Did it leave a permanent mark? No. Did I report it? No.

The blue-haired little old lady fails to see why her precious Shih-Tsu should be corrected for growling/snapping at the stranger who gets too close. But the responsible large-breed dog owner realizes the potential for disaster, and takes the appropriate steps to properly obedience train. And there's the secret. Just one more example of a few bad people/dogs giving the rest of the good people/dogs a bad name.

Rant complete.

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: Fox\'s THE PULSE: Bad Dogs

ewick... first, no I didn't see the report.

Second... I totally understand your point and agree 100%! I would like to add a few things though... or rather expand on a few.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I understand that a large dog will do more damage than a small dog while carrying out the same behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! That's why an attack from a Rotty is more "vicious" than that of a Chihuahua. And a Pitbull can do more damage than a Yorkie just because of the way it's jaws ae built. But I tell you what... I've near punted my mom's chihuahua several times because the stupid little thing growled at me when I went to pet it.

Now don't start posting to me about abusing animals. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have 9 dogs of my own and I defy anyone to even whisper that even one of them is anything but spoiled rotten.

Anyway... I have owned a Rottweiler. She was the gentlest creature I've ever been privileged to have living in my home. She was very protective of my babies but never growled or bit or harmed them or anyone else. She simply "asserted" herself with her presence.

Right now I am privileged to have three English Bulldogs in my house... (anyone who has a bulldog understands that if you have one, you are privileged that they allow you their presence in your house... you bulldog owners know exactly what I mean... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )... People are actually surprised at how gentle they are! I've had people ask, "don't their jaws come unhinged and they can break your arm in half?" ... Ignorance. I reply, "Yeah... so don't f--k with them"... and roll my eyes.

Ignorance is the biggest problem when it comes to dog attacks. I'm not saying that there are never any cases of some kid or gramma walking down the street and out of nowhere, some dogs attck them and start chewing on their extremities but c'mon folks... it's just not as common as people think.

The last I heard... (let me see if I can word this right)... of all dog bites reported... lethal and non-lethal... the breed that is most often reported... IOW the breed with the most bites... is the Dalmation. Yeah, let's go get one of those for Johnny because he saw a cute Disney movie. Better to get him a Rotty... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fox\'s THE PULSE: Bad Dogs

That cute Disney movie is considered to be one of the main reasons why Dalmations are so prone to biting. Unscrupulous breeders, trying to cash in on their popularity, bred the heck out of them leading inevitably to massive inbreeding.

Not only are Dalmatians prone to behaviorial problems, they are also prone to a lot of health problems including vision and hearing problems. Needless to say, dogs that have a hard time seeing and/or hearing are much more likely to be skittish and to feel threatened.

The other breed that usually vies with Dalmations for most bites ... Poodles. Most consider inbreeding to be the problem for them too but I suspect that they are just angry due to those stupid haircuts.

Pat