Flash Rate on PAL (it's faster now).

JJHitt

Enlightened
Flash Rate on PAL (it\'s faster now).

I bought yet another PAL recently. This is number six or seven for me.

This latest one is a Survival and I've noticed that the flashing mode is substantially faster than it used to be. (I still think the flashing mode is useless, but that's beside the point.) All my other Survivals flash about once a second or slower. This latest one flashes about three times a second.

This is a plus for me as I frequently will "look down the barrel" to see if I have turned it off or not and the slow flash rate gets me right in the eye one second later.

The faster flash lets you know it's in flasher mode immediately.

I dont know if this is a "new feature" as I have no idea if this is a new light or old stock (I bought it from PES) or a defect, but I like it... it's definately not the battery.

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flash Rate on PAL (it\'s faster now).

I think they have increased the flash rate at the expense of battery life. How can it go for 200 hours with triple the flash rate? Does the flash duration quicker? That would be the only way.

JJHitt

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Smaug said:
Does the flash duration quicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

My eyes aren't good enough to determine pulse width. I looked but I can not tell if they are different or not.

I use this light as a bedstand light and doubt my girlfriend would go for a runtime test of the flasher mode.

Larry1582

Enlightened

I noticed my newest Pal flashed faster than the old one also.