Cell phone radiation and ovens

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this if you have a Maytag, Magic Chief, or Jenn Aire range or oven with electronic controls and use a GSM based cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaSyQElHKQ0

Apparently, the electronic touch pad controls for the oven on some Maytag products was susceptible to radio interference from GSM based cell phones. In this case the signal emitted by the phone caused the oven to turn on to it's highest (broil) setting. Of course, this would result in a fire if flammable objects are stored in the oven or broiler compartment.

As an experiment, I tried to see if my own phone (a Motorola Rizer Z3) would do anything with my 20 year old Tappen range with a "Tap N' Cook" oven which was one of the earliest models that had electronic controls. Luckily for me, my own range didn't seem to be affected. I'm waiting for results from a friend of mine who has a Jenn Aire range (I believe Maytag makes some models for Jenn Aire). A NY Times article on the same subject mentioned that GE ranges were found to be unaffected. Haven't checked Whirlpool and Kenmore appliances myself yet.

Anyway, I'd like if some of us here could pitch in and see if any of their appliances with electronic controls are also affected. Post make, brand, and model if you do so. Of course, don't bother if your oven has a mechanical thermostat as I'm sure those are immune to EMPs.

:tinfoil:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! Our Kitchen Aid oven/stove has one of these touch pad controls. It used to do crazy things like this, but it hasn't lately. I bet it stopped when I switched from my Motorola Razor, to my iPhone. Interesting.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first I thought the effect sounded totally implausible. Then I realized my iPhone causes rather loud noise from my car's audio speakers even when the radio is off. It happens when the phone checks in for email & other syncing.

"Brrrraaaap.. badip dip dip dip" go my car speakers.

I wonder what all that power's doing to our bodies. It can't be much wattage, but after 24 hours... weeks... years of exposure.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Funny story the way the owner put it. He said that until the new part arrived they were keeping the range unplugged and the phone far away......in case unplugging alone didn't work.....:p

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I don't have to check my microwave. I got real buttons and dials. :grin2: Those keypads always failed on me, no matter how gentle I was. So I paid a little extra for real switches and now have a perfectly functioning microwave that I love.

Thanks for giving me another reason to hate keypads.
Two_thumbs_up.gif

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
When ever I enter my room my early 80's LCD clock radio "radio doesn't work anymore" it goes da-da-da-dat-dat-dat. If I'm already in my room and it makes that noise, with in 2 seconds my phone rings because someone is calling me. No doubt these things are putting out some power:duck:.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a recall coming, unless they market it as a feature.

Coming soon to a store near you, the cell phone that does everything. It takes phone calls, works as a walkie talkie, is a PDA, has internet access, can reposition GPS satelites, can preheat your oven at home while you talk on it overseas, can stop a plane in mid flight (the antiterrorism feature), can program your microwave, run your dishwasher, turn on your Roomba vacuum cleaner and program it to attack people, change the channels on your T.V., shut off your home's power (once the smart grid is installed), can sterilize you without any surgery required, and can unlock and remote start your car in a bad neighborhood while you make a call miles away.