EZAA w/XP-E R2

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I'm a sucker for the EZAA/w I carry one everywhere i go along with my EDC. Now NiteCore has come out with the XP-E R2 and in blue and red ano also. I think I need to upgrade. What I don't know is if I'll miss the warm tint on the one I carry now. I'm getting the red one.:grin2:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
oh boy, tell me what is the xpe going to do for us. more power or more efficency? how is the tint? what is the cost? i bought a used ezaa and i love it. might gift it and get the upgrade for myself.
jason

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's of any help/relevance -
4Sevens Quarks are available in cool white XP-E R2 and neutral white Q3 5A
(NiteCore told me the EZaaW are mostly Q3 5B - which is the same color temperature range, but on the green side of the Planckian or Black Body Locus - BBL - 5A is on the red side) I have done side-by-side comparison beamshots of the neutral vs. cool white and to directly compare the brightness levels I removed the colors from the pics by desaturation to leave only the luminance/brightness information -

In these reviews -

Neutral White 4Sevens Quark AA Comparison Review

4Sevens Quark 123-2 Neutral, Tactical, Cool White Comparison Review

Neutral White (Warm Tinted) - Quark AA2 Neutral White Comparison Review

I'll paste the relevant beamshots here -

Neutral White 4Sevens Quark AA vs. 4Sevens Quark AA Cool White both Max NiMH
QuarkAAnW_CW.jpg
QuarkAAnW_CW2U.jpg

visually and in the beamshots these seem about the same brightness -
but the different tints makes the comparison difficult -

So I removed the colors by desaturation -
QuarkAAnW_CWdeSat.jpg
QuarkAAnW_CW2UdeSat.jpg

the levels are still "similar" with perhaps the cool white being brighter - which it should since it is an R2 as opposed to the Neutral white which is a Q3......

4Sevens Quark 123-2 Neutral vs. regular Cool White -
Quark123-2Nw_cW2.jpg
Quark123-2Nw_cW2U2.jpg

the cool white looks pretty blue in comparison - but it is only slightly on the blue side - see later comparisons. By eye these seem about the same brightness - but obviously the very different tints makes the comparison difficult

So I removed the color by deSaturation -
Quark123-2Nw_cW2deSat.jpg
Quark123-2Nw_cW2U2deSat.jpg

with the color removed by desaturation - the regular cool white does seem a bit brighter.

Neutral White (Warm Tinted) - Quark AA2 vs. regular cool white Quark AA2 - both Max and NiMH -
Quark2AAW_Quark2AA.jpg
Quark2AAW_Quark2AA2U.jpg

they seem about the same brightness level - but it is hard to tell with the different tints.

So I took those beamshots and removed the colors by desaturation -
Quark2AAW_Quark2AAdeSat.jpg
Quark2AAW_Quark2AA2UdeSat.jpg

it would appear that the regular cool white is just a bit brighter - but I certainly couldn't tell just eyeballing the beams even when side-by-side - so in practice it probably would not make much practical difference in the difference in brightness.

Hope that helps....