A2 - 52+ minutes regulated

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I disconnected the LEDs and got 52+ min with fresh Surefires before it began the first in/out flckering. Repeated it and got the same result.

I would EDC an E2E-sized regulated incandescent-only light.

Brightnorm

yclo

Flashaholic*
The regulation circuit in the A2 is about 1/2 inch thick, if my guess work is correct then that should be all the extra length that is needed without the two-stage tailcap.

The tailcap is what controls the dual level brightness, if the A2 tailcap was replaced by a simple LOTC with the appropriate threading then you will have an E2e sized light. Perhaps you can have a custom LOTC made for the A2?

-YC

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
yclo said:
... Perhaps you can have a custom LOTC made for the A2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about that

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Just thought of a reason NOT to go to an E2E sized light. Since the A2 gives relatively little warning when it pops out of regulation, quick battery change via tailcap is useful. Gradual dimming of non-regulated lights gives ample time for battery change via bezel, though dropping the bulb is a potential hazard.

But I still want one.

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The A2 incandescent is designed for a different voltage than the MN03. I have been using a mod recently that is similar to the A2 in that it has low light Nichias as well as a bright reflected light source (in my case, a 5W) I have a simple LOTC on the rear and beam selection is made with a collar switch. Constant on of the High beam is quicker than the two stage tail switch. However, I do miss the quick shift from low to high in the momentary two stage switch. If I could have my way, there would be a side lock that could be pressed to hold the switch at the current level of high or low. I think this would be the best of both worlds.

I can understand after seeing a regulated incan that the desire for a small and simple regulated E2e clone would be strong. However, I prefer having two levels and separate beams that the A2 provides. Instead of a regulated E2e, I'll take the KL4 since I know the bulb can't blow and there is a moon mode when regulation fails. The throw isn't there as in the E2e but in most cases, I think the wall of light provided is ample and offering a regulated incan along with the KL4 may be too close in application overlap.

Well those are my two cents. Oh yeah, I would rather see a regulated E2e host a oversized turbo bezel if an incan only package were considered. From what I've seen, having the option of an A2 or KL4 really will cut into the market of the E2e when cost is not a big factor.

- Don

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
...Instead of a regulated E2e, I'll take the KL4 since I know the bulb can't blow and there is a moon mode when regulation fails. The throw isn't there as in the E2e but in most cases, I think the wall of light provided is ample and offering a regulated incan along with the KL4 may be too close in application overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,

I have a 5W/KL1 that CM modded for me (beautifully), and its beam is a bright very wide flood. Has SureFire found a way to improve throw in the KL4's presumably tiny bezel (though not MN03 equiv), and do you feel free to discuss the characteristics of the beam or would that be indiscreet?

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brightnorm,

I don't know how the throw of the two would compare but would not expect a great difference. I can say that there is no barbacue grill with the SF reflector and that the beam is what one would expect from SF. I have no use for a 5W coupled with a NX05 so I haven't had any experience with this package other than some initial experiments from some time ago. For throw, the larger diameter of the KL5 or KL6 would be required.

In my example above in considering likely overlap of products, I would say that if throw is most important, the A2 (or add in the KL5) is the choice. If pocketability of a bright and dependable light is most important, the KL4 fits the bill. If regulation is not an issue and price is a strong consideration then stick with the E2e.

Bottom line; what do I know? I know what I like but as to where SF's market will place their vote with their $'s is anyones guess. Fortunately, it's not my call to make and the folks at SF will have to decide their lineup. They certainly have too many choices for it to be a simple decision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm,

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from your test. Since it's 52+ minutes without the LEDs, what's the time with LEDs? 40-45 minutes? If so, an extra 7-12 minutes of incandescent light is very significant, I agree (although suspiciously high). But what I personally would be pushing for is an A2 where the LEDs turn off when the incandescent is on, since I'm still enamored of the dual-output 2-stage-switch light. I imagine this has been discussed before and there's some reason it wasn't done in the first place.

Joe

Brock

Flashaholic
I have run three sets of batteries through the A2 without LED's, all SF 123's. I got 3 min, 2 min and 3 min more, before they fell out of regulation. I have seen more of a difference just due to the batteries themselves for runtime so it is really hard to compare. I should say I compared that to 6 runtime tests on the A2, and an adverage of those. Yes it does use up a couple of min, but the ability to still light once out of regulation is more then worth it, besides how I would I have know I didn't blow the lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am also with Don, give me a KL4 with 2 stage brightness, or maybe selectable brightness? Then you don't have to worry about wasting anything in full output mode. Someday hopefully someone will make the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My concern is that the 5watters will need either a huge reflector to get a spot comparable to the E2 or the beam will be larger, only time will tell...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Norm,

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from your test. Since it's 52+ minutes without the LEDs, what's the time with LEDs? 40-45 minutes? If so, an extra 7-12 minutes of incandescent light is very significant, I agree (although suspiciously high). But what I personally would be pushing for is an A2 where the LEDs turn off when the incandescent is on, since I'm still enamored of the dual-output 2-stage-switch light. I imagine this has been discussed before and there's some reason it wasn't done in the first place.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

I remember seing a runtime chart (forget whose) that put the A2 with LEDS at 46-47 minutes, so 52 minutes is about 5 minutes more. However Brock's figures are 3 minutes at most which leaves a 2 minute discrepancy.

I only runtested without LEDs, never with. I got rid of them "permanently" because my injured thumbs found the 2 stage switch painful if I wanted to hold down the xenon for any length of time. The 2 minute discrepancy may be due to my giving extra "credit" to the A2 during its sun/moon alternating stage near the end of its regulated life.

Knowing that the Leds only steal 2-3 minutes from the xenon, coupled with an easier switch would probably have led me to keep the LEDs.

In terms of the KL4 beam, just as Don has chosen the longish PM6 bezel for a reflectored 5 watt, is it not possible to make a slightly longer KL4 bezel to accommodate a reflector, and even to mod a similarly lengthened E2E bezel or KL1 for a 5W E2E? Would creating a longer bezel from scratch be beyond the machining resources of individual modders?. OTOH, Don has created new PM6 parts that actually look better than the originals.

Finally, on the subject of 5W runtime, if W3V's become the norm rather than the exception, and their current average 34 lumens/watt (147.7Lu + 192Lu div2 =170 Lu div 5W = 34Lu)rises to say, 40Lu/watt, then running them at 1.5W or less to give 50-60 lumens on 2x123 should yield a runtime close to that of current 1 watters, with thermal issues moderated by the LED's efficiency at low wattage. Assuming that's correct, the thought of carrying 3-4 hours of 50-60 lumen light in an E2E-sized package is downright exciting.

Brightnorm

Latest posts