My theory on the delayed release of the LX1....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about this and it may be possible that Surefire is waiting for a significant quantity of the new XP-G emitters in the bin/tints' they want so they can get the output/runtime levels they want. Whaddya think? Am I on the right track? Possible? I'm still hoping for a lower low (say 5) and a higher high (100+) on these babies.....I'm only holding on to my LX2 long enough for these to come out so I can sell it off and snatch one of these up, if I like it.....

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not entirely up to date on Surefire's goings-on, but I suspect that is not the likeliest scenario. Surefire seems to be utilizing LEDs from SSC rather than from Cree and also they tend to go for more proven technology rather than anything bleeding edge like the just released XP-G. Thirdly, they don't seem to be entirely concerned about tint on their LED models either. Most of the ones I have seen have strayed quite a ways into the bluer tints.

I can say however that if it is true, I would be very excited about it.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B, E1L, E2L, E2DL, L1, LX2... all Cree XR-E based.

I'd guess, since the L1 was updated fairly recently, the LX1 is just a lower priority than the other recently released lights. Or maybe they need extra time to clear L1 stocks from their warehouses/distributors/dealers.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
That would seem to me the most likely. The L1 was always one of the biggest sellers, so I'd imagine they have still got significant stocks to shift . . .

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think its far more likely that SureFire are concentrating on higher priority models such as the M952V and V2.
The LX1 is more of an iterative improvement to an already recently improved product (the current L1) whereas SureFire have been concentrating on more 'revolutionary' products that make a significant difference - the LX2, A2L, KM3 etc.

Al

Retinator

Enlightened
When I seen the LX2 was released, I thought the Lx1 would be very soon to follow.

One point might be is the weaponlight equivilents.

When we think of the few lights we've seen VS what we want to see, we don't hear much about the development of the weapons' side of things.

Handheld lights seem to be the smaller part of their business. They've had to redo many of their w.lights for the P60L, as well as the KX2C's and who knows what else.

Now you have the introduction of the w.lights in the Vampire series.

And as Surefire's product line has exploded (it has, just look at the size of the LEDs now compared to incan), so has demand on the manufacturing which could very well be the bottleneck here.

I figure there's still a few lights ready to go to market and some more almost done baking in the oven.

And the general public I'm sure is their lowest priority, as it should be.

By the time the new stuff comes out maybe some of us can afford a light or two to celebrate.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I think its far more likely that SureFire are concentrating on higher priority models such as the M952V and V2.
The LX1 is more of an iterative improvement to an already recently improved product (the current L1) whereas SureFire have been concentrating on more 'revolutionary' products that make a significant difference - the LX2, A2L, KM3 etc.

Al
My thoughts as well. The LX1 doesn't *really* add much to the existing lineup. The LX2, OTOH, is smaller, brighter, redesigned body, different emitter, etc. A complete revamp of the L2. Not so for the L1.

zven

Enlightened
Also, does the die of the XP-G not have a different size/shape from that in the emitter (XR-E, I assume?) that the optic present in the L1, LX2, etc. was designed for? If so, would this not require SureFire to redesign the optic for compatibility with the XP-G?

Sure this could be a reason for more delay, but I strongly suspect the delay of the LX1's release has to do with a combination of other factors, not accommodating a new emitter profile. Rather, as mentioned here and in other threads, I suspect its later release is due to prioritizing other models over the LX1, the ease and logic in manufacturing to produce LX2 and A2L bodies at the same time, the fact that the L1 was updated more recently than the LX2, etc.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sincerely, I don´t care if they take too long to release it, but PLEASE, Surefire, stop talking the "... on the 1st of the next month" thing!!

:thumbsdow

Anxiety, anxiety... on every 1st day, and nothing about the light!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if I should be saying this, but hypothetically speaking I think that when PK moved his energy onto the Icon series and left the design of SF lights to the new designers, the design blueprint of the LX1 sort of "died" with him. So much so that everyone in SF knows about the existence of the LX1 design but no one seems to bother in the follow-up. That's my hypothesis.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I don't see why they would put a new emitter in the LX1. It'll have the same optic and emitter as the LX2, won't it? It doesn't seem like a natural candidate for a new emitter/optic combination, but who knows.

Surefire isn't too averse to new emitters, the new G2X/6PX lights have Cree emitters. I thought at first it was an XP-G but I got a slapdown for that. I think someone said it was an XP-E. It's definitely not an XR-E.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Also, there could have been push back on the LX1 in order to re-design and update the 6P/G2 series of lights?

As others noted above the current L1 is not quite in need of an update as other models in the line.

I like do the new 6PX/G2X series. I am sure I will like the LX1 when it is released.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
My guess is they stumbled across a HDS light and figured "why bother". :whistle:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is they stumbled across a HDS light and figured "why bother". :whistle:

LOL! that's a good one! :clap:

But, much as I love all my HDS clickies, I would still buy the LX1 just for keepsake. It's the little brother to my LX2.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dual-stage tailcap would be a pretty good reason to bother.

Is there something about the two-stage tailcap that the HDS clicky can't handle? I can configure the clicky to turn on at any mode I want and a quick press would give me a momentary burst until I release the button. I could even do a momentary on from off. It is that versatile. Much as I like the two-stage tailcap, I find HDS clicky's UI much more advance than the two-stage tailcap offered by SF. I do however agree that SF lights using the two-stage tail switch to be simple to operate and does not require a deep learning curve.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Is there something about the two-stage tailcap that the HDS clicky can't handle? I can configure the clicky to turn on at any mode I want and a quick press would give me a momentary burst until I release the button. I could even do a momentary on from off. It is that versatile. Much as I like the two-stage tailcap, I find HDS clicky's UI much more advance than the two-stage tailcap offered by SF. I do however agree that SF lights using the two-stage tail switch to be simple to operate and does not require a deep learning curve.
Exactly - it's 'more advanced', meaning more complicated. Some of us appreciate simple, no-nonsense switching mechanisms. The HDS EDC is no replacement or competitor for the upcoming LX1.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly - it's 'more advanced', meaning more complicated. Some of us appreciate simple, no-nonsense switching mechanisms. The HDS EDC is no replacement or competitor for the upcoming LX1.
Actually I am not too sure if one would classify the UI of HDS clicky to have a DEEP learning curve even though I used that phrase earlier. Yes, a learning curve definitely but it only took me an hour or two to familiarize myself with it and everything is just intuitive. Whether it is a deep learning curve or not depends on individuals.

I am not saying that the LX1 two-stage switch is not up to standards. On the contrary, I love the two-stage switch from Surefire. I used to own a new style L1 before I sold it to my good friend. Not because the L1 is no good but I had bought an LX2 and thought that the LX1 would be coming soon (more than a year ago), and also my friend preferred the knurling on the L1 rather than the fluted design of the LX1, so off my L1 went to him. So, having once owned the L1, and now owned an LX2, an AZ2, and an M3LT, and keenly awaiting the LX1, all with the two-stage switch, is a testament to how much I love the two-stage switch design. No arguments about that.

Whether HDS is a replacement or competitor to the upcoming LX1 is a matter of personal choice. Personally I prefer HDS over SF because I have the ability to launch the light into a very low moon mode if need be, but I can't do that with an SF two-stage switch. Personally, I felt that HDS EDC clicky alone could do a lot more than my SF lights, so much so that I no longer EDC my SF but an HDS clicky. But then, I collect SF products so yes the LX1 is still in my "To Buy" list.

With that said, I apologize to all here for dragging this thread off topic and you all have my word that I will not continue this thread with talks of HDS UI versus SF's two-stage switch.