what should I buy

twirky

Newly Enlightened
My favorite flashlight (and some other favorite accessories along the same line, like a folding knife and sunglasses) were stolen for the sole purposes of spiting me.

In order to put the world back in line and have something I love again, I want to pick out the best flashlight. My research just leaves me confused. First, I want something that easily fits in the pocket even if not for everyday use, for everyday use at times when she situation -might- warrant a flashlight. I want something that could easily hang across my neck for the duration of a camping trip.

A single or two 123A flashlight seems right for me... The 3xAAA flashlights seem to be a reasonable form factor, lined up next to each other in a triangle of course. But it seems that 123A what all the best run on.

I want something that can be insanely bright, or dim enough to read by without harming night vision. If red is available to not harm night vision, I want that. I think strobe is a neat feature,though probably more of a toy than anything practical.

The smaller and the more solid the better. It should sort of feel like a quality firearm.

It seems that there is a way more significant price range on flashlights than I could have imagined. I can't imagine what I am gaining for $300 on a flashlight when $100 already covers all the engineering I could imagine...

I simply want one that I can fall in love with again. Although money is no object, I'm not seeing the appeal in spending $300, and I think I might be happier with four $75 flashlights and picking out a favorite.

Still, I have to hope that the more expensive ones will make me feel their quality...

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I want something that can be insanely bright, or dim enough to read by without harming night vision. If red is available to not harm night vision, I want that.
Although not "insanely" bright, the Photon Proton Pro has a very useable high beam, continuously variable to a very low low, and an adjustable red for night vision. It even has strobe and flashy modes, well hidden away.

It's small, very easy to EDC, and feels solid and well made. Should definitely be on your shortlist.

NE450No2

Enlightened
I carry my Sure Fire A2 Aviator all the time.

I like the white LED's best for general use.

I have one in yellow/green for reading maps.

An LX2 seems like it would be a good choice as well, if you can go all LED All the time.

fareast

Enlightened
I'd say get yourself one of them Raw's with a 200/20 LE. if you like warm tints, you can choose that also. You won't be able to do night time reading with 20 lumens so get yourself a/any zebralight for that! For red, I added the Fenix PD20 red filter to my Raw with a 20mm x 1,2mm (or so) o-ring for perfect fit.

personnally, I like this combo: Lummi Raw 200/20 Q3-5A and zebralight H60w.

Any, not just red, low-low low light will preserve night vision. Low level orange will do just as well but is easier on the eyes (my personal opinion)

And of course: :welcome::thumbsup:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before purchasing new goodies are you sure the spiting is over and done with? It would suck to buy all now stuff and have it ripped off too. I would look at the fenix or quark single 123 powered lights for that part of the replacements.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Although not "insanely" bright, the Photon Proton Pro has a very useable high beam, continuously variable to a very low low, and an adjustable red for night vision. It even has strobe and flashy modes, well hidden away.

It's small, very easy to EDC, and feels solid and well made. Should definitely be on your shortlist.

This says what I was thinking when you mentioned having a red option. For a slightly brighter light the LiteFlux LF3XT (1xCR123) has a lot to offer. For neck carry I'd think about the smaller LiteFlux LF2XT (1xAAA).

Geoff

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
I don't have a specific recommendation, I just want to welcome you to CPF. Sorry it had to be under such deplorable conditions.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

sorry to hear bout your loss, that must suck.

You might want to head over to www.4sevens.com and have a look at the zebralight h501 or h501w (warm tint), it runs on 1xAA has 3 modes and a hidden strobe mode but that is way too fast a strobe to be practical.

It can be worn as a headlamp if you're reading and has a clip attachment so it can clip to your waistband, pocket, backpack to light your way. the lowest mode is low enough for me to read comfortably in bed without waking the missus or having to turn on the bedside lamp, medium is a good general purpose and high is there but i seldom use it except bashing through undergrowth to get to a good fishing spot.

Then get a good handheld, the choices are legion but i'd take a look at Solarforce they're having a good deal on build your own lights for under $40 (dont forget the discount code SB10)

good luck with your search.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
the quark123 with a clip has quickly become my most used light, i clip it on my pocket next to my knife and i use it prolly 8 times a day because of how easy it is to use and the form factor, (its still on the original battery) i also have a fenix P1D that fills the "cute" part of being small, but the twisting and turning is a bit unwieldy. The button on the back and the tailstanding (regular 123 NOT tactical) its just a bundle of awesome

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm sorry about your loss :(

The Liteflux LF3 XT could be a good choice too. You can programm it to have a very dim low, and a bright high mode.