fenix tk 10 questions and recommendation needed

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
For the past few days I've been reading reviews about the fenix tk10. It seems to be quite positive, however one of my concerns is the ability to mod it as new technology comes out. From what I've been able to gather from various posting on the forum is that the tk10 does not allow drop ins. I assume this means that the head unit is press fit type. If this is the cas would it be possible for someone to recommend a high quality flashlight that is waterproof on the lines of the tk10 with comparable price.

thanks ahead of time

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
What do you mean by "waterproof"? like how deep do you want to be able to have it under water? and there is no way to put a drop-in in the tk10. at least not that i've EVER seen. and i don't even see how you'd begin to get the electronics out...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you cant put in a drop in for the Tk10.

To mod, It is likley that it is possible to take the head apart with strap wrenches. Modding the LED there should be possible.However, modifiying the driver may be more of a hassle, due to the way it functions, and that it is potted (set in place with epoxy)

Also, there is no such thing as "waterproof" and you will hardly, if ever see that label on any light.

there is water resistant to (IP rating) and submersible to XX depth.

The Tk10 is rated IPX8, meaning that it is effectively at LEAST resistant to water, 1m down, stationary. My own experience shows it can handle that easily, and more. but your milage may vary.

An easier option to Mod is anything that takes P60 drop-ins. The industry standard is, of course, the Surefire 6P. It is possible, though not all the time to get a 6P off the market place for around that price i believe.

But you can also look at Such lights from dealextreme, which will be significatantly lower in price, but build quality, etc varies.

Solarforce is something you can look at too.

Crenshaw

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
Forgive my ignorance by waterproof I meant a flashlight that would not get flooded in let's say 1 meter of water. My requirements are a flashlight the size of the fenix or smaller with good runtime bullet proof electronics something that can take a beating