"New" Versalux MagmaLED

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"New\" Versalux MagmaLED

I ordered one from the TechAss website about a week ago and received it a couple days ago. I already had one of the earlier models installed in a Mag 2AAA. It's been a pretty handy little light with good run-time, so I thought WTH and bought one of the "new" ones.
www.techass.com/el/versalux/magmaled/magmaled.php
The first thing you'll notice about the newer model is that it appears to be considerably more "robust" than the earlier model in that the circuit board is not exposed. It's circuits are covered by a black metal disc that appears to double as a heat-sink (not that you'd really need a heat-sink for a 3mm LED...). The web-site said that the new model is 25% brighter than the older model. In side by side comparison with my older one, the new model does appear to be brighter...not by a wide margin, but by a noticeable amount. Sorry...no measuring devices to post exact specs.
The only thing I don't like about the new one is that it can't be trimmed down to fit a 2AAA Mag...no biggie, though. I didn't really wanna buy another Mag, anyway. I spent the next 1/2 hour or so looking through my lights to try to find other options to host the MagmaLED...I'm not crazy about twist-on type lights. The first alternative I tried it in was a 2AAA (side-by-side battery) light with a swivel clip that I bought at Radio Shack some time ago. The light looks similar to a SL Clipmate and uses the same type bulb as a standard MiniMag. In order to make the MagmaLED work in this light, I had to trim a part off the back of the reflector with my dremmel. The MagmaLED worked very well in this light. On optimum focus it gave off a nice bluish-white light with suprisingly good throw because of the reflector (the MagmaLED is a SE). The next light I tried it in was a Nordic 2AA camouflage colored light that I picked up at Academy Sports on clearance for $5.99. (incidentally, this was a nice "modding" light for the price...intermittent/constant on clickie switch, solid aluminum with a switch/anti-roll guard over the switch). The MagmaLED works very nicely in this light. It has a wider, smoother hot-spot than the 2AAA Mag, and the throw was better than the Radio Shack light I tried it in due to the wider reflector. In terms of output, one light I compared it to that a lot of CPFers can relate to is my Infinity UltraG. The hot spot of the UltraG became indiscernable when shined at the same place as the MagmaLED. The MagmaLED's hotspot is EASILY twice as bright as the UltraG's, and the two light's peripheral light is close in intensity, with an edge going to the UltraG.
All in all, I like the new Versalux MagmaLED. It appears to have MUCH less of a blue tint than the older model, IS brighter as advertised, and there are lots of other lights out there that can host it. Sure, it's not as bright as a luxeon, and you're not likely to find a host that's as small as an ArcAAA or an Infinity Ultra, but it's bright enough to be an effective utility light and should give a VERY respectable run time. At $14.99, I'd recommend it to anyone that's interested. I haven't tried lithium AA's in it, because Technology Associates warns against it...and I don't want my 15 dollar MagmaLED to release it's magic smoke!

PJD

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

I don't own an Opalec, but compared to the other three 3 LED lights I have (SL Clipmate, PT Attitude, LEDtronics 3 LED PR replacement) the Versalux MagmaLED has a brighter central hotspot than all three of them. But the 3 LED lights have a considerably brighter peripheral light since they're using 3 LEDs vs. 1 in the MagmaLED. Hope that helps...

PJD

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: \'\'New\'\' Versalux MagmaLED

I don't have a "new" MagmaLED, but I have a really old one from before it was named. I was a bit disappointed with its brightness, but maybe the host flashlight body (a Mini-Mag) was at fault here, rather than the MagmaLED itself.

Latest posts