Beam pattern similiar to Fraen low profile

bhds

Enlightened
Currently using a Fenix L2T head on a 123 body as my daily work edc. I really miss the beam pattern of my old Arc LSHFP.:mecry: Any of the current high powered lights have a narrow to medium size hotspot with little side spill like the Fraen low profile optic produced? Been out of the loop for a while.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire lights that use the TIR optic have fairly similar beams, though the spot will be fuller and more well-defined rather than uneven and squarish, and the brighter versions like the E2DL will have comparatively stronger spill.
I noticed the same thing with the lower output Malkoffs, as I did with the stock SF L1 and E2L. The higher output versions seem to make better use of the optic, and give a more pleasing beam overall, while the lower output ones are more spot-oriented in my experience-which it sounds like you prefer.
I'd forgotten about those Arcs with the Fraen, as all three of mine had the NX05.

bhds

Enlightened
The Surefire lights that use the TIR optic have fairly similar beams, though the spot will be fuller and more well-defined rather than uneven and squarish, and the brighter versions like the E2DL will have comparatively stronger spill.
I noticed the same thing with the lower output Malkoffs, as I did with the stock SF L1 and E2L. The higher output versions seem to make better use of the optic, and give a more pleasing beam overall, while the lower output ones are more spot-oriented in my experience-which it sounds like you prefer.
I'd forgotten about those Arcs with the Fraen, as all three of mine had the NX05.

Interesting. I didnt know that about the TIR optics. Most of the beamshots always seemed fairly normal in that they still had the central hotspot with sidespill. I'm going back through some of the old reviews now.

jag-engr

Enlightened
Currently using a Fenix L2T head on a 123 body as my daily work edc.

Which version of the L2T? I have the L2T v2.0 RB080 head on a 123 body and it has more of a hot spot to it than the v2.0 Q2 head because the Rebel emitter is so small.

If you're using a Q2 or an older Lux III, you might consider trying an RB080 head.

bhds

Enlightened
Which version of the L2T? I have the L2T v2.0 RB080 head on a 123 body and it has more of a hot spot to it than the v2.0 Q2 head because the Rebel emitter is so small.

If you're using a Q2 or an older Lux III, you might consider trying an RB080 head.

L1T/L2T v2.0 Head with the rebel. Not sure which rebel though.
It does have a fairly decent sized hotspot but I still yearn for the nice medium sized cone of light that the fraen put out.