Nachteule: world's brightest reading light?

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
Screenshot2009-09-01at31252PM.png

Hey team,

I came across this nachteule light on gizmodo here:

http://gizmodo.com/5350345/german+engineered-die-nachteule-is-the-worlds-most-powerful-reading-light

Not sure about how it works...

It appears to be LED, but not sure if it is anything special...

Thoughts?

Here's the site (in German): http://www.meineeule.de/Index.php?page=technologie

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about posting a really sarcastic comment, but then thought better of it... Something along the lines of:

"Wow, the Germans have finally figured out how to beat the laws of physics! The power of a 60 watt light bulb, AND 8 hours of battery life from a device the size of my thumb? Awesome! i always knew they could do it!"

:candle:
But, yeah, I definitely smell something.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
They might be saying it puts as much light on a book as a 60 watt bulb on a nightstand. It has a lithium battery, so it might put the equivalent light on a book for a few hours.

I made something similar but just for a work light – I don't let my old eyes get accustomed to reading glasses for reading. The one in the photo is +4.00 and I also made a +2.00 for when I don't want to work as close. I have small aluminum pieces to block the light from shining back into my eyes or on the glasses.

I have a strip of the Velcro circles and made extras of the little aluminum shades as they sometimes don't pop off easily. So I can just trash the lights rather than change the batteries. The lights are 47c and a set of batteries 30c. It is a lot faster to just swap out the lights.

I have a Photon headlamp, but this setup works better for me. With light coming from both sides I seldom fully block the light. And it is a lot more comfortable. And I can use both these and the headlamp if I need one more light angle.

glassesx.jpg

glassesbeamshot.jpg

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
uhm... so you are telling me that if I stick a fauxton to a pair of glasses i would get the worlds brightest reading light?

This thread deserve to be deleted.

Cigarman

Enlightened
Pish....if one just angles an Acro 990 juuuuust so and straps it to the cranial area, it should provide sufficient illumination. :crazy:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, I'm just happy to be addressed as part of a team. That makes me willing to buy the whole "brightest reading light" thing -- I definitely don't want to get kicked off the team. If I were you guys, I wouldn't rock the boat, unless irdthay ingstray is your aspiration.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must be true since I read it on the internet! :crackup:

Seriously, looks like a cool little light but as the fellas have suggested, probably nothing revolutionary. Still, I want to see specs! (as per usual!)

silpe--those are sweet, man!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you drop an IMR cell into a Jetbeam Jet II, remove the reflector, and crank it to flank output, that's a 250 lumen reading light; which is just right for blinding yourself so thoroughly that you can close your eyes and see the after-image of the page..

Brighter isn't always better

slipe

Newly Enlightened
hmm, where did the "world's brightest" come from? It's not the company themselves, they just explain how wonderful they are....

http://www.meineeule.de/

don't think it's available in English, tho.

Bret

But they do mention the 60 watt. Perhaps you could translate that in context. I think the "world's brightest" was just a poor choice for a title.

It would probably be a handy reading light for someone who wears reading glasses. It appears to block any light from hitting the glasses.

uhm... so you are telling me that if I stick a fauxton to a pair of glasses i would get the worlds brightest reading light?
You need to work on your reading skills.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Best glasses mounted light i ever used was a Fenix LOD. put a couple of O-rings on the body, slide it onto your glasses. you can slide it far enough out to not get any glare. The maratac AAA might be even better, but I havent tried it yet.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Reckon we could do better here on CPF . . . all we'd need is a TK40 and a roll of duct tape ! :devil:

Nonono... we need a 2D Mag623! Grade school dreams of burning your books coming true. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Besides... Wicked Lasers calls it the "World's brightest flashlight"!

Last edited: