• High CRI seoul

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • No leds for me, incan only!

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi all,

after trying out neutral leds (Cree 5A/5B/5C/4C tints and high CRI seouls) I find I can only accept warmer neutral tints on most of my lights. I see this come up often in other threads as well.

I am curious though, is this an actual trend or just a vocal minority voicing their (loud) opinions?

So, here's a poll to check. (I really liked the poll on the UI for 3 mode lights, glad to see L-M-H is popular and not just a figment of my imagination!).

:)

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if I can change polls, but I put high CRI seoul as an option vs Neutral Crees.

Let me know if you think these should be combined or not.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Nice poll :thumbsup:

From what I've read, its seems that the "bluer" tints on some LED's is just the cheaper route to take for manufacturer's. As far as the "average" consumer, i've noticed that interest in the blue LED's tend to fade over time, like any other fad. Personally, I like a light tint that is just slightly warmer than "diamond" white, or diamond white itself 4500K - 5000K.

I'm not sure what the advantages to having a blue light are, exactly, other than a "cool" factor. :anyone:

Just a suggestion, maybe you could add a Kelvin color temp chart to your poll as a visual aid?

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
That's just the point though - it is very subjective. What looks blue to one person, looks pure white to another. And what looks white to yet another can look yellow to someone else.

The really blue tints (like the E01) are thankfully history so it's important to compare like with like.

A lot of people rave about warm tints - which is fair enough if that's what works for you, but - as with so many things in life - we are made stronger by our differences, so let's leave emotive terms like 'fad' out of it.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes, tis true.

Like I said, I really favour neutral tints, but I've seen many ask for cool white too.

Oh also for those not sure, the warmer cool whites include:

Liteflux LF3XT in "warm", Lumapower D-mini Extreme, Olight M20 premium R2.

Many R2's (before anyways) were WH/WG.

I have purposely not included 5 mm leds like the GS etc. I don't want to overdo the poll and don't consider them a viable option for many cases.

HighLumens

Enlightened
Guys, my first (and so far only) flashlight experience is a neutral white (4C) and I like it.
Do you think I may ever like a cool white (WC-WD)? I ask this because it seems that there are more cool white flashlights than neutral-warm ones. The difference in power bin (Q3 vs R2) is not very important, 20% brighter is actually not that much noticeable.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I had Milky put a high CRI Seoul in my HDS. Using this light makes difficult visual tasks like color matching easier. For example, sorting out wire colors in multiconductor cables with this light goes quicker and with fewer errors. The Cree 5As are nice, but not quite as good. On the flip side 5As are relatively available in Quark lights, Zebra headlamps and Malkoff dropins. I have a couple of each and love them. I will never go back to "angry blue" LEDs.

Last edited:

paintballdad

Enlightened
I've become a warm/neutral convert overnight after trying out my first Q3-5A light. The colors and depth perception to me was just better compared to the cool white lights i have. I won't be getting rid of my cool white LEDs but if the option of a warm emitter is available, then that would be my choice.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
high cri is the one i have no xperience with. (yet) but i vote for warmer tints.

pure white ones are not used much.. neutral like d10 r2 is used plenty.. but the warmer ones.. qwaat and lmini2 and raw are my most liked lights.. and dereelight c2h might come close if it only would run for little longer on high! hah..

i am tempted selling 5-10 of my lights that are "too white" and replace them with warmer tints..

gunga

Flashaholic
I've become a warm/neutral convert overnight after trying out my first Q3-5A light. The colors and depth perception to me was just better compared to the cool white lights i have. I won't be getting rid of my cool white LEDs but if the option of a warm emitter is available, then that would be my choice.

I guess that's the other thing, the poll may not reflect true opinion unless you've actually tried a neutral (Q3 5A etc) light.

Some may vote for cool white without ever trying Neutral.
Well, I should hope the pollsters have informed opinions!

:shakehead

HighLumens

Enlightened
I have not voted because, as I have already said, I have only 1 experience so I can't still judge.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow, only 1 light!?

Perhaps try something like a Maratac AAA. Inexpensive, good value, and you can always gift it if you don't like it.

I have a few, but am not happy that I have been uanble to open them for modding with neutral leds. They are nice lights though.

:scowl:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga- I replied in my thread. We'll continue that tangent there.

To the rest of you I still say warmer is better.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I'm now a big warm tint fan. After getting a neutral white Quark AA, and a warm LF2XT, my cool LEDs now look weird and unnatural by comparison.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
I've also recently become a warm tint convert. For the longest time, I loved the neutrality of my D10 R2, but after acquiring both a Zebralight and Quark with 5A tints, I don't think I'll ever buy another WC-or-cooler tint light. Even the WH (I think) R2 looks a little green. :eek: