DBS MC-E safe on CR123 primaries?

burf151

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!
Last year I bought a Dereelight DBS V2. I bought the 3SM MC-E pill and OP reflector to go with it. It is the 2.1 amp 4.6v-12.0v version. I intended to run it on 2 CR123s or 4 CR123s with the extension tube. These were recommended configurations at the time. I see that Flashcrazy (Flashlight Connection) now does not recommend CR123s with the MC-E pill. Is the current draw too much for 2 Surefire CR123s? What about 3 or 4 cells? Thanks for any help you can give explaining this to me.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
2 CR123 primaries cannot handle the current draw from this light, and could possibly "vent with flame". 2 RCR123's will handle the draw just fine. I run mine with 2 18650's and the extension tube. I think this is the best option for this light.

Beaky

Newly Enlightened
2 CR123 primaries cannot handle the current draw...
I am confused by this since the Surfire (incandecent) P61 module, which will drain two CR123 in about 20 minutes, has been around for quite some time now.

Why would the lower drain of a LED light be more difficult for the batteries? I guess it may have to do with the regulation somehow?

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
The current draw of the MC-E is 2.1 amps. The makers of virtually all CR123's list the maximum current draw as 1.5 amps.

Whether any particular CR123 can handle more than that is a strictly academic question. If you use CR123's and they DO "vent with flame" :poof: then you have no recourse, as you knowingly exceeded the stated capacity of the battery.

Flashlight Connection is being a very responsible dealer by telling people not to exceed the stated capacity of the CR123. If he didn't, and someone had an accident caused by exceeding the capacity of the cell, I am almost certain that some of the blame would be assigned to Flashlight Connection by the lawyers that would be involved.

Power your DBS 3SM MC-E any way that you want :shakehead, but don't complain if it comes back to bite you. :tsk:

bkumanski

Enlightened
2 rcrs work if you want to keep the light small, but the runtimes are very poor on high (less than 30 min). The large extension tube for 2 18650s is nice, but it makes the light kinda long. You may want to try the shorter extension tube and run 2 18500s. I find this is a good combination of good battery life and convenient size.

Beaky

Newly Enlightened
The current draw of the MC-E is 2.1 amps. The makers of virtually all CR123's list the maximum current draw as 1.5 amps.
I had a quick look around and for many batteries you are correct. Especially more affordable brands seem to specify 1.5 amps as maximum continuous current.

For other brands (Surefire, Panasonic) I was not able to find any specification but the fact that Surefire makes a lamp assembly (P61) which draws somewhere in the vicinity of 4 amps has to mean that at least Surefire batteries can safely produce that kind of current!

I guess there is actually a good reason for Surefire to insist that you should only use Surefire batteries in their lights!

burf151

Newly Enlightened
Venting with flame is something I would like to avoid. I do not blame FlashCrazy at all for wanting to protect himself! You have to these days. I was just wanting to avoid the rechargeables if I could. Is using 3 or 4 cr123 cells a solution?

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
From the insert that came with my MC-E - "4 x CR123 primary batteries with the extension tube will also work. The current draw in this configuration is less than the maximum limit for CR123 batteries."

finn

Newly Enlightened
For what it is worth, i recklessly use exclusively 2xcr123 panasonics in my 2.1a dbs. I bought the light back when 2xcr123 was approved, and decided that returning my used/abused dbs for a refund would be rude to flashcrazy.
My max duty cycle for 100% bright is less than a minute. Usually just momentary 100% and the rest of the time i run on low.
I'm not endorsing it, if you do this against the dealer's recommendation you could catch fire.