5 watt Red LS? Long throw red 1 watt LS?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope everyone is having a great weekend,
I was at work consuming lunch while screwing around with the 5D Cyan 5W and a buddy started asking questions. The "Why do you have 6 C cells in a 5D"? was easily answered but his other questions made me wonder.
It would seem that this guy is a hunter and wants red LED lighting that would last for hours. He loved the Cyan 5W with the 30mm optics (Thanks, Wayne) and wondered if he could get it in red. I am not aware of any red 5 watt LS emitters out there, is there such a thing?
If no 5 watt reds exist, then I will have to move to 1 watt reds. Would a reflector work better for a thin beam or go with the 30mm optics? An Elektrolumens 3D Blaster II in red would be a nice light but how far will it throw? He wants it to light up the eyes of deer at long distance. (100--400 meters) Is this even possible? Would a red 1W SE LS be focusable with Mag reflectors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid green, cyan, blue and royal blues are all your choices in 5 watters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Might have to turn to a 1w but I don't think the range is achievable?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a thin beam, go with a Mag reflector... Unfortunately, at 100-400 meters, you won't see much, IF anything AT ALL with a 1W in a reflector...

Even the 5Wers are going to have a tough time illuminating something 400 meters away... An LS beam cannot reach a quarter mile away...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
30mm does not work well with the red wavelengths. Reflector is the best option here with an overdriven 1w red. Remember the reds have a lower voltage in.

jtice

Flashaholic
..... not to be a party pooper,,,, but wouldnt that be "spotlighting" deer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tell him eo get a MexaBeam with a red filter. LOL

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or go infrared and grab some NV goggles... May work better than an actual light...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice,
Never thought of it that way although the deer will not see the beam. He does not want to get the "deer in the headlights"
look, just to see the reflection in their eyes. From what he was telling me, red will reflect in their eyes at long distances, much farther than you will see the red light illuminating anything. He saw that overdriven Cyan 5 watt burning paint off the wall with the 30mm optics and wondered about red.
Isaac, thank you for the tip about red and 30mm optics. I guess a 1 watt high dome overdriven with Mag optics would be the best he can get. I will steer him to Elektrolumens website for the heatsink, resistor and Luxeon red to fit in his 3D Mag.
Thank you very much for the info, he will become a LED nut pretty soon.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
No, I supose if the deer didnt really stare at the light ,, like they ussualy do, it would be ok. But, im sure they can see it, just because you cant see a light shinning on say, a tree, doesnt mean, you couldnt see the light, if you were standing at the tree.

Im gonna have to have me one of those CYAN's soon,,, just for the WOW factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif