LumaRay FL6 - Unique Battery Vampire

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaRay FL6 - Unique Battery Vampire & dive light

A lot of brand names get tossed around here at CPF (and many other places for that matter) but here's one I've never encountered before from a US based company called LumaRay, using Nichia LEDs they claim to have achieved a greater output efficiency with their custom lens technology, it looks like it comes straight from a Sci Fi movie (maybe something involving alien life forms) but additional to it's unique aesthetics it's rated as waterproof to 50 feet with a runtime measured in days not hours (30 Days) oh and it's powered from 3 common C cells to boot! :eek:

fl6gunmetalside.jpg

Does anyone actually own one of these or the earlier version perhaps, how do they perform in the real world? :thinking:

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
I played around with a borrowed one a while ago; it's really just a toy, kind of cool if you're eleven years old...;)

litetube

Enlightened
These have been around for awhile actually. possibly for years .I think they used to come in yellow and black. The silver is cool

They seemed to garner more interest back in the Luxeon days of emitters.
They are pretty futuristic looking for sure.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Cow, Batman.
That looks one of his belt gadgets. :duh2:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be info on Flashlight Reviews IIRC.I always thought this light was interesting but the fact that it uses 5mm Nichias kind of leaves it behind current technology.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I Love Mine, it's actually one of the older model FL12's a really effective spot beam and it definitely appeals to the kid in me. For run times and output they are not a bad option for an emergency back up house light. I only wish that they were lithium compatible, I don't believe that they are at least. I heard from one of the makers that you can use AA batteries in their lights if you house them in a certain diameter piece of PVC, I have yet to try and do this but it would enable me to use my NIMH AA as opposed to buying "C" size rechargeables and a new charger.

Life is short, have some fun and blast an alien invader!

gsxrac

Enlightened
This think looks awesome! Completly useless and a little too complicated but something inside me really likes it. If the price is right I may soon own one of these alien life forms.

gsxrac

Enlightened
If you download the video of the FL12RX you cant not want one. Its just so... different. This will be my next purchase for sure, might even take precedent over the new 4sevens MC-E for me. :huh: Still looking forward to hearing from other owners. Im sure someone has one of these things with as many flashaholics as we have here!

Does anybody know where these are made? NVM answered my own question, MADE IN THE USA!!! Now I REALLY need one =)

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I've tried one.

Pretty basic, twist on then off. Has glow in the head so when you turn it off the head glows (cool). Not much else to report. I've not seen or tried the 12 led or mutlimode version.

It's quite small and light for 3 C (smaller than my 2C mag).
Looks kinda cool.

Seems fine, nothing too exciting, good design touches tho (the o-ring prevents batteries from falling out, the head clamp design is kinda cool).

The 6 led version is all spot (like older Inova lights). The 12 led version should have a better general purpose beam.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I've tried one.

Pretty basic, twist on then off. Has glow in the head so when you turn it off the head glows (cool). Not much else to report. I've not seen or tried the 12 led or mutlimode version.

It's quite small and light for 3 C (smaller than my 2C mag).
Looks kinda cool.

Seems fine, nothing too exciting, good design touches tho (the o-ring prevents batteries from falling out, the head clamp design is kinda cool).

The 6 led version is all spot (like older Inova lights). The 12 led version should have a better general purpose beam.

Gunga that is good to hear. Would you say it is well built? What about the way the head detaches, is that as cool as it looks and do you think it would be reliable?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm amazed that thing thing is only $75.

Not bad for such a unique looking flashlight.

If true, 200 lumens for 12 hours is really tempting.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I'm amazed that thing thing is only $75.

Not bad for such a unique looking flashlight.

If true, 200 lumens for 12 hours is really tempting.

The FL12RX is the one that is actually 200lm. It is $125. and the quoted runtime is 12 hours at maximum brightness but 200 hours all together on high! Now THAT is what id call a battery vampire! Not to mention the 6 MONTH runtime in mode 3. And for another $25 you can add the FL6-FOG head. Sounds like a fun lego to me. I wonder if they would offer a regular FL6 head as an attachment like the FL6-FOG? Ultimate LumaRay Lego :hitit:

gunga

Flashaholic
Gunga that is good to hear. Would you say it is well built? What about the way the head detaches, is that as cool as it looks and do you think it would be reliable?

It's all plastic and it seems reasonably reliable. If you smashed it into a rock, I guess I'm not sure how well it would fair, but it's pretty lightweight and it's tough (ABS?) plastic.

Be careful about dropping it head first onto anything tho, somewhat exposed lenses.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not fond of the aesthetics of the older version OR the varied colour schemes but that gun metal colour (as pictured in post #1) is truly sweet! :thumbsup:

turb

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the older FL12 models. It held up well under most of the circumstances in my normal days, but the fine as talcum sand in other areas of the world really caused some issued with the orings and the head detach assembly. It still works well, it just grinds when you turn it on and when you have to change the batteries. The glowing of the head that comes from the back of the head was kinda hard to get used to, but it does help when using the light for road guard duties.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the look of the transparent orange one on their home page. As I recall, Data has one.

I have an FL12RX with the GS LEDs, and I like it. The beam pattern is very unique, and difficult to compare to other lights. I did a ceiling bounce test and compared it to my Ra 100C. Assuming high on the Ra is indeed 100 lumens, the LumaRay is a little less than that on high (6x lensed and 5x un-lensed white LEDs) with 3 fairly fresh NiMH cells (3.88V resting). I haven't tried it with alkaline cells. I believe this model is still direct driving the LEDs. I assumed it would be in the neighborhood of 10 lumens per LED, and a little under that on these cells is probably about right.

The FL12RX has some interesting, unique features. I like all of the different beam profiles (6x lensed white LED, 5x un-lensed white LEDs, 1x unlensed red LED, or a combination of the first two profiles) and the strobe mode (alternating sequence of the first three aforementioned beam profiles). I like that the LEDs come on in a gradually rotating order instead all at once - a useless feature, but it's looks neat.

I always liked the original body design as well, and I just worked a trade for Quickbeam's old FL12. It should be here in a few days, and I'll post some pics of both of them when the old one arrives.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming high on the Ra is indeed 100 lumens, the LumaRay is a little less than that on high (6x lensed and 5x un-lensed white LEDs)

Isnt the FL12RX rated 200 lumens? if a RA100 is brighter, that would suck

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from the review done by Quickbeam this light is nowhere near 200 lumens.Even with the latest Nichias it seems unlikely that this light is competative with current generation power LEDs.The OP's original idea of a battery drainer makes sense though.