Sunlite FP80 - 2mm x 2mm LED! 550 Lumens

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Next in the lineup of Sunlite products is their new FP80 in the 53mm diameter head, just like their 16wFP.

Here are the specifications for this light.

Specifications
Brightness - 550 lumens (Turbo), ~130 lumen (side switch)
Size - 9 inch (228 cm) in height, LED head: 53 mm in diaemter, Housing: 25 mm in diameter
Weight - 10.1 o.z. (287 g) (with battery)
Power source - 5200 mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery
Charger - AC charger, optional 12 volt car charger
Run time - 1.5 hours (Turbo mode)
Recharge Time - 6 hours
Color - black, Type III Hard anodized
Others - Water resistant and shock resistant
Overview

• FP80 Rechargeable LED Flashlight includes battery, AC charger and Belt Pouch SNLBP53L.
  • FP80 employs a 80mil single-chip emitter.
  • FP80 offers super tight center beam, throws further than 8WFP.
  • FP80 comes with SMO reflector
  • Side switch offers ~130 lumen, Turbo switch offers 550 lumen
  • Runs 2 hours on Turbo switch.
  • FP80 efficiently drains heat from the LED chips, and efficiently conducts heat to the fins and the flashlight body.

Features

• Super tight beam for far projection, throws farther than 8WFP
  • More spill compared to 8WFP
  • Copper substrate to quickly drain the generated heat. The thermal conductivity of our LED is around 1'C/W.
  • Fins to enhance the heat removal
  • Aluminum reflector, also helps to drain heat away from the LED
  • Type III Hard Anodized aluminum alloy housing, also functions as heat sink.
  • Toughened Ultra Clean Glass Lens
  • Dual switches

So, besides the Diamond Dragon emitter, and these new Phlatlight LED's which are popping up in new flashlights, the Sunlite FP80 employs a single emitter that is 80 mils wide, or 2mm x 2mm.

Again, for those who are new to Sunlite products, their main shining points that set them apart from all other flashlight makers are the following combination of being: Rechargeable - they have a charge port located opposite the side switch just under the head. Versatile - Different heads can be used on the same power source body. Safe - Sunlite views safety as their top priority when designing their lights...knowing that they go into the hands of LEO's, mechanics, and the general public. Using Custom LED's - Sunlite manufactures their own LED chips and wafers, therefore, allowing them to make their lights AS. (Application Specific) So the technical name of their LED's are: AS-LED.

I'll begin this review with some pictures of the emitter itself. Nothing has changed as far as external design from the 16wFP. The FP80 utilizes the same housing, heatsink, etc....and only the reflector and emitter/module have changed.
f_gbea44tm_939b30f.jpg

f_gbea44um_f63a40b.jpg

f_gbea44vm_e9e03a5.jpg

f_gbea44wm_bf9af81.jpg

f_gbea44xm_292b952.jpg

f_gbea44ym_727a6b8.jpg

That is about as close as I can get to getting a picture of the emitter. I held a magnifying glass and everything. Notice that to the left of this above photo, there is a crescent moon shaped gold patch. I have no idea what purpose it serves, other than to possibly disperse the bonding wires to the emitter. Also notice there is no glass dome. Sunlite does not encase their emitters in a protective dome like Cree, Seoul, and others....instead, they spread a layer of clear thermal epoxy over it.

The next series of photos is some outdoor shots I took tonight, showing it's long range application. I also compared it to some JetBeam models, namely the Raptor 1 and the M1X. And I threw in the Spear clone, the RQ.

Here is the lineup:
f_gbea6cym_2076b0d.jpg

Next, is some individual shots of the emitters:

M1X - Cree MC-E
f_gbea6d0m_a35f155.jpg

Raptor 1 - Cree R2
f_gbea6d1m_ba7d2f8.jpg

RQ - Cree Q5
f_gbea6d2m_3c044cc.jpg

FP80 - 1 x 80mil (2mm x 2mm)
f_gbea6d3m_e01bef8.jpg

16wFP - 4 x 60mil (1.5mm x 1.5mm)
f_gbea6d4m_9a95fa1.jpg

8w - 1 x 60mil (1.5mm x 1.5mm)
f_gbea6d5m_f3cee1a.jpg

The Setting: This tree is an ideal location for me, with very very little ambient light from the city, and not a lot of traffic either. The tree is exactly 600ft away, which is a fair distance for comparing "Throwers". I just took a single shot of each, and then did a side by side comparison of the Raptor and FP80, since they are the 2 closest when comparing "apples to apples".

The JetBeam M1X:
f_gbea6bxm_54e5d3b.jpg

The Raptor RRT-1:
f_gbea6bym_7bd4bff.jpg

The RQ:
f_gbea6c0m_dc70eb5.jpg

The FP80:
f_gbea6c2m_452a212.jpg

The 16wFP:
f_gbea6c3m_cc082d9.jpg

The 8wFP:
f_gbea6c4m_4b60d13.jpg

Side by Side comparison of the Raptor and FP80:
(Raptor on Left, FP80 on Right)
f_gbea6cxm_2bb973c.jpg

Smaller images so you can see side by side comparisons:

M1X and 16wFP:
f_gbea6bxm_0bd22b1.jpg
f_gbea6c3m_379aa50.jpg

FP80 and Raptor:
f_gbea6c2m_92cf922.jpg
f_gbea6bym_744df37.jpg

FP80 and RQ:
f_gbea6c2m_92cf922.jpg
f_gbea6c0m_cf994c7.jpg

FP80 and 8wFP:
f_gbea6c2m_92cf922.jpg
f_gbea6c4m_ff5ec4e.jpg

FP80 and M1X:
f_gbea6c2m_92cf922.jpg
f_gbea6bxm_30c7d88.jpg

FP80 and 16wFP:
f_gbea6c2m_92cf922.jpg
f_gbea6c3m_379aa50.jpg

Well, thats it for now. I'll capture some whitewall shots so you can see the beam profile.

I did manage to get ceiling bounce numbers for you guys.

Here they are:

RQ - 10
8w - 12
Raptor - 13
FP80 - 22
16w - 31
M1X - 32

Thanks for looking........ask any questions and I'll try to answer them. Also, let me know if you have any picture requests as well.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for these informative threads.
Sunlite products are obviously very good.
I was interested to see that the Jetbeam M1X has even slightly more output on ceiling bounce than the Sunlite 16W from your measurements.
The M1X also seems to throw just as well as any of the Sunlite products.
So the only disadvantage of the M1X compared to the Sunlite range is the fact that it has a conspicuous donut.
I think when Jetbeam and other manufacturers start using the Luminus SST-50/90 leds, this will no longer be an issue.

jim7777777

Newly Enlightened
On a slightly related topic: there was talk of a higher current option for the 16W. Is that available yet?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Thanks for these informative threads.
Sunlite products are obviously very good.
I was interested to see that the Jetbeam M1X has even slightly more output on ceiling bounce than the Sunlite 16W from your measurements.

Yes, their products are top notch...and built for durability and function.

The ceiling bounce test I did was with the lights freshly turned on. However, if I retake the test with the lights on for 2 minutes, here is the new readings which take into account the heat sag:

(to be determined...when I have time...)

The M1X also seems to throw just as well as any of the Sunlite products.

Yes, the M1X is a fantastic light which has high output and great throw. It's a winner in my book. :thumbsup:

So the only disadvantage of the M1X compared to the Sunlite range is the fact that it has a conspicuous donut.
Yes.....when you compare only the beam profile. Also, the Sunlites have a warmer tint as well....which is subjective to each ones preference.

I think when Jetbeam and other manufacturers start using the Luminus SST-50/90 leds, this will no longer be an issue.

I also am curious to see what light manufacturers do with these other emitters out there. Osram Dragons don't seem to get much use....and these Phlatlights are catching the eye of several it seems. Time for Cree to come out with something new... :naughty:

BTW, Sunlite has something new in the works....a 4x80mil light...with the potential for 2000 lumens driven around 30w. It requires a completely new heat sink platform though, which they need to develop.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't figure out for the life of me how i missed this review great job as always. I like hte sound of that 4x80 mil light!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Excellent photos and beamshots, Ryanrpm. I am very impressed by how the new FP80 out throws the 8W far projection light. I also really like the fact that you included the JetBeam Raptor RRT-1 in this comparison; I have been wondering about how it would compare to the Sunlight flashlights. The JetBeam RRT-1 appears to still be the longest thrower of all.