Maglite C to AA advice needed

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
anyone have a home made adaptor idea? Rolled up cardboard or the like so I don't have to buy 4 packs of AA to C adaptors and still have to use a quarter on the negative spring contact? I am tired of buying C's and have an abundance of AA Eneloops and the like- would like to get to one standard batt. The 7 c cell mag is my last mod. Thanks.lovecpf

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
For single long tubes like a Maglight, wrapping the cells in paper or rubber hose should work just as well as the dedicated AA->C adapters. You'll still have to mod the spring or use a coin for the at the negative end, but that's simple enough.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i made few of those d to aa, c to aa, d to c.
i use a stick that has the same diameter as aa, or c, well a little bigger actually, wrap it with a regular printer paper, i make sure that every layer is covered with regular white paper glue, roll it tight, and let it dry, pull the tube off, that is it.
i don't separate it for each battery, i use one piece tube, and you do want to use a quarter, nickel, at the negative end.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Genius kudos to all of you! Rubber hose- good, I think a stroll down Home Depot plumbing supply my produce something promising. I was also thinking of Lexan/Delrin or Wodden Dowels- Drilled out- saw a sweet one on one of the single D Maglite modder posts- granted it was D cell to 18650...still sweet.

DSCF7191.JPG

DSCF7190.JPG

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubber hose- good, I think a stroll down Home Depot plumbing supply my produce something promising.
Cut to length, then slice down the side and allow the diameter of the hose to overlap if necessary. Repeat with multiple layers, as needed. That was part of the old "3x CR123A in a 2C Mag" recipe.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
anyone have a home made adaptor idea? Rolled up cardboard or the like so I don't have to buy 4 packs of AA to C adaptors and still have to use a quarter on the negative spring contact? I am tired of buying C's and have an abundance of AA Eneloops and the like- would like to get to one standard batt. The 7 c cell mag is my last mod. Thanks.lovecpf
I use two pieces of PVC pipe in a couple of D cell maglites that I use AAs in. I use 1" pipe and 1/2" PVC pipe. The 1/2" fits a AA battery nicely, but somewhat loosely. It's not a gaping loose fit, only about a 16th of an inch or two. I wrap the 1/2" PVC pipe with a little poster board paper so it fits nice and snug in the 1" PVC pipe.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I use two pieces of PVC pipe in a couple of D cell maglites that I use AAs in. I use 1" pipe and 1/2" PVC pipe. The 1/2" fits a AA battery nicely, but somewhat loosely. It's not a gaping loose fit, only about a 16th of an inch or two. I wrap the 1/2" PVC pipe with a little poster board paper so it fits nice and snug in the 1" PVC pipe.

Thanks- trip to H.Despot last night- found a good solution- similar to yours. 3/4" in 2 ft section of 100 PSI black poly pipe with a 1/2" dropped down into the 3/4"- nice and snug. Trim to size, sand. The 7 AAA's slid into the 1/2" tube like they belonged there. Had to mod. the spring as it is a REALLY stiff- first time a tightened down, I dented the degative ends of a couple of batts- whoops.:sick2:
Total cost- $1.81

JamisonM

Enlightened
Thanks- trip to H.Despot last night- found a good solution- similar to yours. 3/4" in 2 ft section of 100 PSI black poly pipe with a 1/2" dropped down into the 3/4"- nice and snug. Trim to size, sand. The 7 AAA's slid into the 1/2" tube like they belonged there. Had to mod. the spring as it is a REALLY stiff- first time a tightened down, I dented the degative ends of a couple of batts- whoops.:sick2:
Total cost- $1.81
Glade you got it worked out. Now you can start using that rechargable goodness.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Do tell saabgoblin.....I'm dying to know.
BTW- haven't seen you on the PEAK forum lately....
Looks like you got it figured out, I only spoke with the maker of Lumaray about what he had done to switch from C's to AA's and that is were he threw out the PVC idea. As for the Peak Forum, I am over there but I am waiting until they revamp their entire lineup to see what else I may want to pick up because I know that as soon as I buy something, they'll release the light that I really want.

I need a Pelican case or two at this point myself, see ya over there!