want to buy new light

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
Or, I want to buy another light. With the new XP-G leds coming out, should I be waiting to buy a new light. I would hate to get something new and in the next couple of months the new version comes out. The answer to this question is of course subject to everyones opinion, but I was hoping for the experience of old timers. How quick do the companies start releasing new models or old models with new tech?

Marduke

Flashaholic
There will ALWAYS be something new and awesome right around the corner. You could easily spend the rest of your life waiting for that "new thing" that is just about to come out.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There's always a way to justify a new light, especially if you don't go overboard with your purchases. Lots of good stuff for $40-$80. Then it's not so painful when that irresistible new light pops up.

Geoff

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a good number of lights with P-4 cree leds....and they are still excellent. Several Q-5 cree led's that I have are a bit better, but not that much to make me quit using my p-4 led models.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well , there are some XP-E hitting the market .. Are they worth having ?
Just depends on your needs .

I pulled the Cree XR-E Q5 from my Micro-L2 and put in a SSC P4 only to find the SSC P4 sucked , so I then put in a XP-E R2 and it was only just able to match the Q5 I took out , but with lower current , about a 300mAh saving .

To some this would be a major gain , similar output with 30% less power consumption . Personally I think XP-E has some maturing to do , as may XP-G .
XR-E is still a good option , it has matured , and is capable of taking some abuse . Just depends on the variables .

Unfortunately many manufacturers buy too much stock to get a good price , there still pushing old Luxeon , etc lights out there , possibly due to stockpiles of components ... Getting the latest and greatest seems to be hard ..

Id love to get the best SSC P4's , Luxeon K2 TFFC's , Diamond Dragons etc