RA clicky executive vs. ?

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am interested in the RA executive. What other high end lights should I be looking at that are comparable for operation and quality?

I have about a dozen Fenix lights and now on Quark. They are just fine for quality and usability, but I want to buy a really great light.

My price range is $200. Single 123 battery with at least the 140 lumens of the RA executive. Programmable or multi mode is a must since single intensity lights do not interest me in the least.

I just want to do my due diligence before I order up the RA and then realize that I could have had something that suited me better.

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
4Sevens' new Quark Ti with the new R4 bin Cree?

I just bought a Quark 123 tactical. I am not that impressed with the tactical since you cannot scroll through the intensity settings. I did not realize that when I bought it. The light seems okay, but not any better than my Fenix lights for quality. Good beam at least.

It will probably end up a christmas present for some one in my family.

I ordered the RA clicky executive but I do want to decided on my next light. Novatac and Nitecore are both looking interesting, even though I am looking more toward the higher end. The novatac operating system seems almost the same as the RA.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For less than $200, you could get a Ra 170. I don't believe that you can do better than the Ra and would highly recommend that you try it out. After you get the Ra, go ahead and shell out some more cash for a Surefire LX2.

batmanacw

Enlightened
For less than $200, you could get a Ra 170. I don't believe that you can do better than the Ra and would highly recommend that you try it out. After you get the Ra, go ahead and shell out some more cash for a Surefire LX2.

I ordered a RA Clicky Executive with the 170 lumen LED and black clip/screws. I can't wait for it to get here even though I ordered it last night! I am already jonesing for my next purchase. Better make some more money first!:broke:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a RA Clicky Executive with the 170 lumen LED and black clip/screws. I can't wait for it to get here even though I ordered it last night! I am already jonesing for my next purchase. Better make some more money first!:broke:
There is no comparison between the quality of the Ra & the Quarks - chalk & cheese!!

The Ra lights have similar machining quality as Surefire - nice thick bodies and heavy threads - no cross threading here folks!

Enjoy the Ra - I know you will!!

James......:thumbsup:

Barbarian

Enlightened
Congrats, it is a great light that you will own for the rest of your life.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great choice! Also good of you to get the black clip; it is much better looking than the silver one. I don't like the look of the silver ones at all but the black look pretty darn sharp on these lights!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
While you are on a Ra spree, make sure to get a Twisty 85tr before they are all gone! It has the unique ability to have a low mode that is red and the other modes are white. "Only" 85 lumens max, but one of the most special Ra's ever. . . . .

batmanacw

Enlightened
While you are on a Ra spree, make sure to get a Twisty 85tr before they are all gone! It has the unique ability to have a low mode that is red and the other modes are white. "Only" 85 lumens max, but one of the most special Ra's ever. . . . .

You are not very helpful for a junkie who is trying to moderate his addiction! :sigh:

I will go check it out.......

Its weird that I go through a phase where I have to buy a few lights every once in a while.

LED Cool

Enlightened
I am interested in the RA executive. What other high end lights should I be looking at that are comparable for operation and quality?

I have about a dozen Fenix lights and now on Quark. They are just fine for quality and usability, but I want to buy a really great light.

My price range is $200. Single 123 battery with at least the 140 lumens of the RA executive. Programmable or multi mode is a must since single intensity lights do not interest me in the least.

I just want to do my due diligence before I order up the RA and then realize that I could have had something that suited me better.

since you have ordered the RA clicky 170, this reply is probably too late but anyway, do check out the LiteFlux LF3XT.

the LF3XT would meets your requirement of a multi-mode programmable single CR123 small light. it is smaller and lighter and comes with a removable wire clip.

there are 5 modes of programmable output (brightness intensity & strobe/beacon frequencies) and you can even select the number of output mode. i.e. don't like 5 modes? change it to a 2 modes or 3 modes light.

plus it has built-in battery over discharge protection (selectable for NIMH when using the optional 2AA tube and 16340 Li-Ion), the unique battery voltage meter.
the LF3XT last used memory function and momentary-on function can be toggle on/off by the user.

features wise the LF3XT pretty much covers most of your needs and probably more. it is not "built like a tank" as some RA owners have described their RA lights that way. so YMMV.

do check it out.
khoo

bansuri

Enlightened
You are not very helpful for a junkie who is trying to moderate his addiction! :sigh:

I will go check it out.......

Its weird that I go through a phase where I have to buy a few lights every once in a while.
Be sure to check out the Battery Station link here, they have the 85tr for $99 if you are a CPF member.
The page of CPF Specials will be your undoing...

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 Totally agree.

since you have ordered the RA clicky 170, this reply is probably too late but anyway, do check out the LiteFlux LF3XT.

the LF3XT would meets your requirement of a multi-mode programmable single CR123 small light. it is smaller and lighter and comes with a removable wire clip.

there are 5 modes of programmable output (brightness intensity & strobe/beacon frequencies) and you can even select the number of output mode. i.e. don't like 5 modes? change it to a 2 modes or 3 modes light.

plus it has built-in battery over discharge protection (selectable for NIMH when using the optional 2AA tube and 16340 Li-Ion), the unique battery voltage meter.
the LF3XT last used memory function and momentary-on function can be toggle on/off by the user.

features wise the LF3XT pretty much covers most of your needs and probably more. it is not "built like a tank" as some RA owners have described their RA lights that way. so YMMV.

do check it out.
khoo

Agreed.

Be sure to check out the Battery Station link here, they have the 85tr for $99 if you are a CPF member.
The page of CPF Specials will be your undoing...

Bah... when I bought mine 2 months ago they were 10 + shipping... I did not know about the CPF discount neither.... this sucks! :ohgeez:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my RA Clicky custom 140 GT and I absolutely love this light!!

batmanacw

Enlightened
I was weak today. A Muyshondt Aeon came home with me today from a crack/flashlight dealer near cleveland. Brightguys.com if I remember correctly. Could not help myself! They had Novatac T and E in stock, but don't want to buy one until I see the RA.

I really like this simple little light. :eek: Now I am poor for the rest of the month!

batmanacw

Enlightened
I got my RA in yesterday, ahead of schedule. Didn't bother to check the mail box until today! What a great surprise!

This light has the smoothest transition from the hot spot to the flood. It can only be described as flawless. No inclusions, period.

Its extremely well built. More like a swiss watch than a flashlight. I am really happy I went with the executive since the switch sticks out just right. Not too much. Its a substantial light as lots of you well know.

The factory black clip is butt ugly, but functional. Any ideas on replacements is appreciated.

It will take time with this light to figure out if I can trust it. Pretty sure it will be in the affirmative. What a great little light. The light outputs are just about perfect for my use. I might just bring the low up a couple levels, but not yet. I would not be surprised if I never bother to reprogram it.

I am going to have to pick up one of their twisty lights soon. Repeat business is usually pretty telling!:)

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my RA in yesterday, ahead of schedule. Didn't bother to check the mail box until today! What a great surprise!

This light has the smoothest transition from the hot spot to the flood. It can only be described as flawless. No inclusions, period.

Its extremely well built. More like a swiss watch than a flashlight. I am really happy I went with the executive since the switch sticks out just right. Not too much. Its a substantial light as lots of you well know.

The factory black clip is butt ugly, but functional. Any ideas on replacements is appreciated.

It will take time with this light to figure out if I can trust it. Pretty sure it will be in the affirmative. What a great little light. The light outputs are just about perfect for my use. I might just bring the low up a couple levels, but not yet. I would not be surprised if I never bother to reprogram it.

I am going to have to pick up one of their twisty lights soon. Repeat business is usually pretty telling!:)
I must admit, I do like to mess with the output settings on programmable lights but I have decided to leave the 4 settings on my Clicky well alone!
- Try the minimum mode at the dead of night with night adapted vision - very handy light level with enough light to get around a dark house!

I did however change a couple of the user settings - Momentary on enabled, Force setting disabled.

Enjoy your new light.

James....:)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
force setting?

If one were satisfied with the levels programmed as it comes- what are the chances of ever accidentally entering programming mode? Also, does anyone know which if any of the Ra lights come without pocket clips at all, & no screw holes? That is the Ra-TW-100?

Congrats on the Ra & Muyshondt B.M. Care to compare general impressions between those two?

batmanacw

Enlightened
Re: force setting?

If one were satisfied with the levels programmed as it comes- what are the chances of ever accidentally entering programming mode? Also, does anyone know which if any of the Ra lights come without pocket clips at all, & no screw holes? That is the Ra-TW-100?

Congrats on the Ra & Muyshondt B.M. Care to compare general impressions between those two?

You might want to go to RA's website and download the operation manual. There is no chance to accidentally enable programming.

They really are two completely different lights.

The Muyshondt is like a BMW two seater sportster. Its light, well made, and very high performance.

The RA is like a Mercedes Benz. It has more features and is built like a tank. High performance on many levels.

Lumenz

Enlightened
Re: force setting?

There is no chance to accidentally enable programming.

Although you aren't likely to accidently reprogram your light, it isn't that difficult to accidentally change your settings. All it takes is a click-click-press to increase the light level of your current setting. But a quick click-click-press again will decrease it. So it isn't as if you will have a hard time putting it back the way you liked it.

I really like how easy it is to change the light levels because I can easily change it while I am using it.