Group buy for the Dorcy "Spyder"

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Group buy for the Dorcy \"Spyder\"

EDIT - I've moved the original test data compiled on the Spyder to a new thread with the original title and have re-titled this thread so the group buy on the Spyders can move forward. I'm on a dial-up connection and can no longer keep up here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif sorry..

Zman

Enlightened
Re: New Lithium Light from Dorcy - the

Wow what a deal! You guys just keep finding ways to tempt me. You know my dad was interested in a membership to Costco for fathers day. I think I may have to make a trip...

paulr

Flashaholic

This does look like an excellent glove box light. I wouldn't pay any attention to the hyped lumen rating--is there any hint (advertised or observed) of the battery runtime?

It's interesting they're including four Duracell 123's in that $23.99 package. Duracell must have lowered its prices to match other manufacturers.

freewheelin'

Enlightened

My aunt has a CostCo card, might have to take her to lunch tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Slick,

Nice report. Thanks. I think the 4.8 means 4.8 volts, which is about 10% under the voltage that 2 fresh 123s would be drawn down to with the 1.22 amp load. That means overdriven. Nice. That's 5.8 watts consumed. If the bulb is running at a fairly high temperature, it could be putting out about 80 to 90 lumens. But 120 lumens seems inflated. The bulb life might be short.

Nonetheless, I certainly am tempted by this light. My only concerns would be the ruggedness of the tailswitch and the cost of replacement bulbs.

Paul

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although it is always nice to be able to get replacement bulbs (good for the environment etc.), these lights actually cost about the same as Surefire replacement bulbs for the E-series. When you factor in the 'free' 123's, they are probably cheaper.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying these are in any way superiour to the Surefire. I am just saying I wouldn't let the potential cost of replacement bulbs keep me from buying them.

Pat

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool...I may have to run to that hell-hole Costco on Saturday...

Seems lots of manufacturers are hoping on the CR-123 light bandwagon.

--dan

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened

is that available in Australia ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened

Wowzers..

That's a deal!

hmmm...guess I'll have to stop buy the 'ol "price club".

Max Lumens

Newly Enlightened

I just got back from Costco near my house in St. Louis..
They don't have these lights yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

hanuman

Newly Enlightened

I saw some in Irving, TX. a couple weeks ago . I didn't grap one
because I don't know to get a spare bulb from Dorcy. I don't see anything about this flashlight from Dorcy website. Just want to see the spec.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul W:

Why do you think that the 4.8 C 1.22 A bulb will be overdriven on 2 @ 123's? It would seem more likely to be underdriven given Brock's measurements:

SF e2 5.0 V 1.0 A
SF P60 4.8 V 1.1 A
Scorpion 4.8 V 1.1 A
Pelican M6 4.65 V 1.22 A

If it's not underdriven, that would suggest that Dorcy's switching system offers less resistance that the above. I perceive that to be unlikely.

I'm interested in buying a pair.

I wonder if Dorcy uses the same bulb as the M6.

epro05

Newly Enlightened

Slick,

Can you check to see if per chance, the heads are interchangeable between the Spyder and the E2E? (I'm really wondering if a SF KL1 head would fit the Spyder).

Phil

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hurray for Dorcy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
(Too bad they had to put the overused word "Tactical" on the package.) Guess I'll be keeping an eye open for them at China-Mart.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

lemlux,

I don't know why Brock's measurements would be so different from mine. On the E2e, I got 5.45v & 1.11A vice his 5.0v & 1.0A. On the Scorpion, I got 5.30v & 1.21A vice his 4.8v & 1.1A. So, my projections of voltage drop with increasing current are different.

Perhaps meter error has something to do with it. More likely, there is a difference in assumptions. I use only brand-new batteries when testing. Hence my conclusions assume fresh batteries and give worst-case overdrive. I design configurations to give me about 10% overdrive. Brock may do it differently. If there's a standard as to how it should be done, I'll follow it, but I don't know about any such standard.

My concern about the Dorcy bulb life is not severe. After all, I have a Scorpion, which rates their bulb life at 5 battery changes. To me, that is acceptable to get more brightness. But getting a bulb for a newly introduced light could be a hassle. So using an M6 bulb looks interesting. The ratings are about the same. I wonder if the physical dimensions are the same.

Paul

Latest posts