XTIME's Tomcat-13... Australia's cheapest LED thrower?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
XTIME Tomcat-13 1W LED 3D cell Flashlight

Hey I was cruising through one of our local chain stores Kmart to be exact and I saw they had a new flashlight on display, seems the showerhead LED manufacturers have cottoned on to single powerful emitter configuration, at $20.00 (including 3 Toshiba D cell batteries) I was sorely tempted because at the very least it could make a nice host for another lighting project, has anyone else seen these lights around their neck of the woods let alone used one? :thinking:

tomcat13.jpg

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tomcat13 1 watt LED Flashlight...

Okay... well I took one for the team and picked up the light this morning at Kmart :grin2:

Here's some pictures of the flashlight's 'head' disassembled, the heatsinking section is not really much more the an aluminium tube section which screws into an aluminium cup, which in turn screws into the head body... considering some companies don't have anything more than the actual LED star's base itself not a bad configuration though this design lacks a focus ability :thumbsup:

img0660m.jpg

The reflector is plastic (as is the lens) and whilst quite deep (deeper than equivalent M@g reflector) it has a slight an ever so slight molding imperfection (this example anyway), the UI is a basic reverse single action clicky. The body is coated with what appears to be a basic anodized coating definitely not HAIII and while it feels solid it's definitely NOT the quality of a M@glite mind you at $20.00 AUD including 3 D GP cells it's still a bargain! ;)

img0661h.jpg

Regulation is nothing more than a mere resistor on PCB wafer situated within the cup/post assembly, also worth a mention is the rear battery cap's anti-roll design :D

img0664q.jpg

I'll have to wait till nightfall for the opportunity to conduct beam shots, I'm still pondering as to which lights to put it against in the comparison, I mean well it is only a 1w Luxeon emitter :p

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a dorcy 3D and it is driven harder than 1watt using a 1 watt luxeon star. you should take a meter to the tailcap and measure the current to the star... almost bet it is over 600ma

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately my current DMM maxes out @ 200ma, I should be picking up a cheap automotive 10A range DMM in the near future (moments like these remind me why) :D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

you could use a resistor to measure larger currents just like a shunt. A 1 ohm resistor in parallel with your meter on voltage scale would measure 0.6v with a current of 600ma across it.

nakey

Newly Enlightened
Fellow victorian here.

I work in the city, and i saw a tomcat 1W single LED for $14. Small one, 3 AAA but not as small as their 9LED Kmart cheapie'

LED is on a star board, on top of an aluminium tube that screws into the main tube. Can be used in candle mode with the head off. I'll get pics tonight when i go home.

Tempting to get another one and change the LED :D

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that Autobarn are selling the Xtime 3aa 1W. It looks like we are finally seeing some reasonable emmitters in the main stream. :twothumbs

droeun

Newly Enlightened
You guys have kmart in Australia? how about walmart & target?

Moka

Enlightened
Target yes, walmart no(t yet... I believe there were plans a while ago that never came to pass)
May have to pick up one of these for the price...

tolkaze

Enlightened
Arrrgh! I bought one of these yesterday (been thinking about them for about a month now) because it looks like a really simple place to start trying out new emitters... so now I have the problem of what to put in there... been looking at cheap 20mm stars and drivers all morning... was planning on running 2x18650s... cheapy + $6 worth of parts equals $26 thrower with more power!