Multi color output suggestions?

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good LED powered torch with white and red outputs. This is for use in a planetarium. White light to help me get around when by myself, red to help people find their way if they need to leave the show early.

I saw this one with a quick google: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/8db4/

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd keep an eye over on the 4Sevens forum. They have a multi-colored RGBW MC-E light in the works. It might take a little while (month and a half is my guess) but it could be very intriguing.

Otherwise, I know there is a Coast LED Lenser light that has 5x5mm white and 1x5mm red LEDs. Even though it is 3xAAA powered, it still ends up being quite an interestingly useful light. I have the Eddie Bauer version.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The light you are looking for is the Photon Proton Pro.

I do planetarium shows too, and it's ideal for this. Both white and red levels are variable, and it's quite bright enough for indoor use. It runs on a single AA battery. A real look-no-further light.

The 4Sevens' MC-E light is keeping us all salivating, and I'll be one of the first in line, but it's probably going to be quite a bit brighter than you need. And the Proton Pro is available now. :thumbsup:

Steer well clear of those 3xAAA powered lights: they are usually unregulated and also more expensive to run (3 AAA batteries cost three times as much as one AA battery, but only contain the same amount of electricity, if you see what I mean).

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The OP has ordered a good choice, but for future readers, the Ra Twisty 85tr has a low red mode along with the brighter white modes. . .

AusKipper

Enlightened
Nice light, and not horribly expensive.

But what the heck am I going to do with green and blue? I'm already married, so wooing the ladies won't do me much good.

You could play "CSI" with the blue one :)

no idea what the green could be used for though....

mwaldron

Enlightened
I'd keep an eye over on the 4Sevens forum. They have a multi-colored RGBW MC-E light in the works. It might take a little while (month and a half is my guess) but it could be very intriguing.

Any link on this? I didn't see anythingover in the 4sevens board. It sounds very interesting!

Otherwise, I know there is a Coast LED Lenser light that has 5x5mm white and 1x5mm red LEDs. Even though it is 3xAAA powered, it still ends up being quite an interestingly useful light. I have the Eddie Bauer version.

I'll also second this, the light he's talking about doesn't get much love around here but I have several of them and they're decent workhorses. They're not regulated and they're cheap, but I really like the form factor. I know you've already made your choice (and it looks like a good one too!) but you can check out the Coast ones here. I've seen them on clearance from time to time for as low as $10.

Some day I'm going to get one of these just to check it out, looks like a great light. Edit: Second though, overpriced and not very great reviews. Maybe I'll see one used someday for $20... :)

You could play "CSI" with the blue one :)

no idea what the green could be used for though....

Green is useful for reading a map.

My ideal combo would be Low White, Red, Yellow-Green and UV. I just need to find some T1 UV leds and get to work on modding my K2MS...

Last edited: