SuperSquashLite - Dimmable

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super SquashLite - Dimmable

I believe this, my latest custom creation, is the first variable output flashlight to be constructed within a vegetable. It is the ultimate in ecofriendly lighting as the components are completely waterproof potted so that once it's no longer needed for illumination, the flesh can be cooked and eaten and the skin and seed composted. The lighting system can then be recycled into another vegetable of choice. I would recommend hard shelled veggies of sufficient mass to dissipate heat from the incandescent lamp. Most winter squashes would work great, a large zucchini might work as might a large beet or honeydew melon.

Here is the Super SquashLite in action. Pictures show it at maximum output.

squashpic02.jpg

squashbeam1.jpg

squashbeam2.jpg

Here are some close-ups of the SSL. The screws fastening the rotary dimmer switch are brass to reduce the chance of introducing off-taste into the cooked veggie dishes. Because the squash flesh is so nicely workable with simple edged tools found in a typical kitchen, it was easy to create a nice snug fit for all the implanted elements. I also found that a woodworkers chisel was useful for carving out the hollows for the components.

squashpic1.jpg

I started with a nice, squat butternut squash. It had to be large enough to accommodate a bezel, implanted battery pack and a residential lighting rotary dimmer switch. I also like this particular shape because it is nice and stable when stood on end allowing the placement of the veggie-light wherever task or area lighting is required. I started by tracing the bezel onto the belly of the squash and cutting it out with saws from a pumpkin carving kit. The bezel assembly was sealed in high grade silicone caulk to prevent infiltration of juices into the lamp chamber. The bulb is a 4-cell PR base. I did the same thing with the rotary dimmer switch. All wiring used was spare speaker wire I had lying around. I opened up the dimmer switch casing because I was having some connection problems. I scavenged the reflector and bezel from a 99-cent halloween flashlight.

squash.jpg

squashinprogress.jpg

The battery pack was constructed out of an old aluminum cigar tube. It houses 2xCR123 but will accommodate up to 4xCR123. I used a spare compression spring from another project to maintain battery compression and negative contact with the rear of the tube. The cap of the tube contains the battery positive contact. The power wires are fastened to the tube. The battery positive wire and contact is insulated from the tube body by a grommet made from electrical tape and silicone. The parting line between the cap and the body is covered with tape before potting in silicone to allow neat and easy removal of silicone from the area for battery changes. The pumpkin saw was used to drill out a tubular channel big enough to insert the battery pack into. I used a coat hanger to help thread the wire through the squash body prior to making the connections.

So there it is. A light I got the itch to make and so I did. I must say, working in the medium of vegetable is pretty tough as the juices make holding your tools difficult.

I have considered what I would use as the receptacle for my next mod. A chicken carcass is definitely out, although it would be pretty interesting. I do have one idea that I'm seriously considering. I'll call it the "Exorcist Illuminator". I'll leave it to your imaginations to see if you can figure out what that mod will be.

Wilkey

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um Wilkey, we have a special jacket here we would really like you to try on....I know the sleeves look a little long but don't worry once we get all the straps tightened you won't notice it at all.

Pat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's AWESOME ! I'm still ROTFLMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lifetime warranty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vince.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost lost breakfast

Wins, best mod of something eatable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

mastershake

Newly Enlightened
All I can say is, WOW THATS SOME GOOD SMOKE! He He, just kidding, the world needs more original thinkers like you, just imagine what life would be like without them!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys...except for you treek13, are you saying I'm, um, abby-normal in some way? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Believe it or not, even though this build was pretty wacky, I exercised quite a few skills that are of use in general light modding: soldering, troubleshooting power connection issues, design of overall light structure, parts scavenging, maintaining my composure while the wife rolls her eyes and calls you strange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Wilkey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

Beautiful! The ideal camping light. If you get lost, you won't get hungry.

But seriously, are you feeling okay? Need a rest perhaps? . . . somewhere with nice white walls? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But really seriously, what is that dimmer? Not a wall dimmer? Must be a rheostat?

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Good catch on the dimmer. As you might have guessed, an AC dimmer does not work really well. In fact, I ripped out most of the supporting electrical components inside the dimmer switch to try and make it work but could not. So, I cheated. I found an old DC wirewound resistor rheostat in a pile of disassembled stuff in my basement and stuck that to the dimmer face plate.

Because you caught my little deceit, I'll be shipping the SuperSquashLite to you as a prize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wilkey

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
OUTSTANDING. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

mastershake

Newly Enlightened
Dosn't turning a bunch of scrap parts, from junk laying around, into something you can use a great feeling, I think thats the definition of art if I'm not mistaken? A far as your wifes eyes rolling I think she should be proud of your endevours there are much worse things that you could pursue in your free time, women just don't understand us.

tattoou2

Enlightened
A beautiful mind is never idle...great creativity and innovation, but have you looked into the need for a medication change? JK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh,

The circle of life fulfills itself yet again. After flashing my gourd around a few more times, I cut it open, recycled the light generating components and prepared the body for consumption. Here is a snapshot of a baked dish I made with the squash meat. The squash is diced and I add cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and a few other spices. Bake for an hour at 375F and voila!

squashbaked.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the recipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

I'm glad to see you cooked the squash. A light meal, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! I've been punned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I wish I could toss back a witty rejoinder but I'm just too darn tuckered out...or maybe it's squash poisoning.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, tuckered. It's getting time for bed for a number of us on the East coast. I'm sure you'll have a good come-back tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you ate pauls prize!!!

very nice man!

i've been hoping you would get around to it soon, i could hardly wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

simply bueatiful! (and by that i mean you're a freaking pyschopath!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif