nitecore d10 battery options

fannin

Enlightened
hi guys, longtime lurker here

i have a nitecore d10 r2 which i am using duracell alkaline AA batteries in: a big improvement over the AA that came with it (i think i may have had a returned light either that or there is bad quality control: the battery didn't last, there were some chips on the finish)

anyway, what batteries can i use in it to improve output as it's still not as bright as i would like. can i use lithium aa batteries?

i am also going to buy a fenix ld20 or possibly an eagletac AA light, please tell me what batteries i can use with these as well

many thanks CPF i am grateful

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the D10 and WTG for registering here at CPF!

You can expect some very helpful replies.

I'll start by saying you are in for a big treat once you get past the single cell alk AA!
I'd say try a 14500 lion cell! Other rechargables such as NiMH will also be an improvement.yes a lithium primary is ok. Be careful where and how you use a 14500 cell, don't worry, it's ok in the D10.

DO NOT EVER stack 2 14500 "AA size" cells in a 2 AA light:poof:

fannin

Enlightened
Congrats on the D10 and WTG for registering here at CPF!

You can expect some very helpful replies.

I'll start by saying you are in for a big treat once you get past the single cell alk AA!
I'd say try a 14500 lion cell! Other rechargables such as NiMH will also be an improvement.yes a lithium primary is ok. Be careful where and how you use a 14500 cell, don't worry, it's ok in the D10.

DO NOT EVER stack 2 14500 "AA size" cells in a 2 AA light:poof:

thank you for replying, i know nothing of battery types

so you can use 1x14500 lion cell in a single AA flashlight but you can't use 2 in a 2 AA light? weird

is the 14500 lion cell a rechargeable? i kind of prefer the simplicity of normal disposable batteries and i heard that lithium was better than alkaline, does the 14500 lion cell beat the lithium?

thanks man can the fenix ld20 take all these batteries as well? i am going to get that light or an eagletac because the d10 is not so good outdoors

Marduke

Flashaholic
14500's are Li-Ion cells of a higher voltage than regular AA cells. Not all flashlights (most flashlights) can NOT use them.

NiMH can be used in ANY AA powered light. They will be brighter and run longer than alkaline cells. I recommend Eneloop cells.

fannin

Enlightened
14500's are Li-Ion cells of a higher voltage than regular AA cells. Not all flashlights (most flashlights) can NOT use them.

NiMH can be used in ANY AA powered light. They will be brighter and run longer than alkaline cells. I recommend Eneloop cells.
are NiMH Eneloop cells rechargeables?

Marduke

Flashaholic
are NiMH Eneloop cells rechargeables?

Yes. Overall, they are ~100x cheaper than using alkaline cell, not counting the cost you save from not having to replace a light that an alkaline cell invariably leaks inside and destroys.

fannin

Enlightened
Yes. Overall, they are ~100x cheaper than using alkaline cell, not counting the cost you save from not having to replace a light that an alkaline cell invariably leaks inside and destroys.
thank you my friend

i have found eneloop 800mAh and enelopp 2000mah, do you know he difference?

so do eneloops not leak, or lithium batteries not leak, only alkaline?

how do the eneloops compare output wise with lithium?

thanks for the wisdom

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you for replying, i know nothing of battery types

so you can use 1x14500 lion cell in a single AA flashlight but you can't use 2 in a 2 AA light? weird

is the 14500 lion cell a rechargeable? i kind of prefer the simplicity of normal disposable batteries and i heard that lithium was better than alkaline, does the 14500 lion cell beat the lithium?

thanks man can the fenix ld20 take all these batteries as well? i am going to get that light or an eagletac because the d10 is not so good outdoors

Cool:thumbsup:
Take Marduke's advice:twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic
i have found eneloop 800mAh and enelopp 2000mah, do you know he difference?

AAA and AA size.

so do eneloops not leak, or lithium batteries not leak, only alkaline?

Alkalines leak. Lithium can "vent with flame" if mistreated.

how do the eneloops compare output wise with lithium?

That depends on the light, and which type of lithium cell you are comparing it to.

fannin

Enlightened
Cool:thumbsup:
Take Marduke's advice:twothumbs
thank you tsask

i have had rechargable batteriess before and been unimpressed by them, i guess technology has improved. would you say these eneloops last a long time (a lot of recharges i mean)

can you use them stacked in a 2xAA light unlike the lion cell?

many thanks

fannin

Enlightened
Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I suspect your previous experience with rechargables were with NiCads or Energizers and a cheap timed charger.

They perform MUCH better when you get a good cell (such as Eneloops), and a smart charger.

They can be used in ANY light that takes AA or AAA cells.

fannin

Enlightened
I suspect your previous experience with rechargables were with NiCads or Energizers and a cheap timed charger.

They perform MUCH better when you get a good cell (such as Eneloops), and a smart charger.

They can be used in ANY light that takes AA or AAA cells.
even 2 stacked in a 2xAA light like ld20 they will be safe?

before i had a streamlight strion and it sucked

could you recommend a good charger for the eneloops please?

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
to maximise the output for your D10, use 14500s.

14500 cells are 3.7 volts as compared to alkalines at 1.5v and eneloops at 1.2v.

Get some of AW's cells, (i think he has chargers too) and slip them into your D10 and be amazed at the output!

The reason why you should not stack 2x14500s for a 2xAA light is that many 2xAA lights have a max voltage of 4.2v and in some, up to 6 volts IIRC, if you stack 2x14500s, the voltage is 7.4volts and therefore :poof: check the max input voltage for the light in question before stacking 2x14500s

Get some 14500s, they're great in boosting output, but runtime wont be as long as using eneloops.

Last edited:

fannin

Enlightened
thank you to all 3 of you

so the 14500 lithium is best for a single aa

the eneloop for everything else, and will last longer than the 14500

will the eneloop be brighter than alkaline?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, the Eneloops will be brighter than alkaline.

I don't recommend Li-Ion for you at this time. No offense, but you don't know a lot about cells, and Li-Ion cells for flashlights are more of a "connoisseur's" power source. They take more care and monitoring, and I don't recommend them for anyone just starting out.

fannin

Enlightened
Yes, the Eneloops will be brighter than alkaline.

I don't recommend Li-Ion for you at this time. No offense, but you don't know a lot about cells, and Li-Ion cells for flashlights are more of a "connoisseur's" power source. They take more care and monitoring, and I don't recommend them for anyone just starting out.
brighter than alkaline even though they have less volts?

would 14500 need a different charger than eneloops?

no offense taken, i don't know batteries and appreciate all the help from you guys, when you say "They take more care and monitoring" do you mean you can't leave them charging unsupervised too long or something?

Marduke

Flashaholic
brighter than alkaline even though they have less volts?

would 14500 need a different charger than eneloops?

no offense taken, i don't know batteries and appreciate all the help from you guys

NiMH and alkaline voltage on the label is deceiving. Alkaline start at 1.5, but under load the voltage falls drastically, often under 1.2v. NiMH start out at around 1.4v, and even under load will stay above 1.2v during the majority of the discharge.

Yes, 14500 require a different charger. For Li-Ion cells, it is important to monitor cell voltage during use, and monitor charging and never leave the charger unattended.

fannin

Enlightened
NiMH and alkaline voltage on the label is deceiving. Alkaline start at 1.5, but under load the voltage falls drastically, often under 1.2v. NiMH start out at around 1.4v, and even under load will stay above 1.2v during the majority of the discharge.

Yes, 14500 require a different charger. For Li-Ion cells, it is important to monitor cell voltage during use, and monitor charging and never leave the charger unattended.
right, right

how can you monitor voltage during use? sorry if stupid question

and presumably then you can leave eneloops charging unattended no problem?