The penetrator

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a little advice. I am looking for a very bright flashlight with a tight beam. Something rechargeable and not too large. Maybe something similar to the Surefire 8NX or the Z3. Which of these would produce the more penetrating (tight) beam? I like the Z3 because of the lanyard. This would be very helpful. Can you get a lanyard for the 8NX? Is there another flashlight that would better fit the bill? Thanks in advance for the advise.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF dkelly!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want a super-focused, tightroping beam that can carry, and the light's rechargeable, you may want to consider 2 lights:

Tigerlight FBOP Edition...

Magcharger (with new bulb)...

Both of these are small (well, somewhat for the Magcharger), but both produce a very tightly focused beam that could carry well beyond 300 feet in darkness...

I don't have any experience with the 2 lights you mentioned, but if you want the smallest rechargeable, the 8NX may be what you want, although it will be outdistanced by the Tigerlight...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger or Ultrastinger? US ain't that big, is it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Falcon, you say the 8NX will be outdistanced by the tigerlight? I assumed the lights from Surefire would be the brightest and I like their small size. What I am unsure of is their beam pattern. Can anyone comment on the pattern for the 8NX? I am familiar with the beam from a Streamlight litebox. How would the 8NX compare as far as brightness and size of beam? Has the battery problem been solved on the 8NX? Will the charge last a month or so if not used? Thanks

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
8NX has a reasonably tight beam. If you do get one , test the batteries for the ability to hold a charge.
I need to contact SF. One of my "NEW" 8NX batteries gets way too hot to handle in the charger.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
One of the officers at my job says he has to charge his Stinger at least every 6 months or it just wont run an hour. He's primarily a daytime duty guy but every at 6 months it must hold a charge very well and the Stinger is not that much bigger than my Scorpion.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
dkelly,
I'd say the TL would outdistance the 8NX, based on my experience with my own 9ANT(KT3). Well, I had a 9AN-T (which I unfortunately lost in a rafting "overboard" accident) ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif )... But the Tigerlight outthrew the 9ANT... I don't know how the 9ANT compares to the 8NX with the KT5 turbohead, but if you were comparing the 8NX without the turbohead to the Tigerlight, then the Tigerlight will outthrow the 8NX...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have a TigerLight and the SureFires you mention.

The TigerLight has a long throwing beam that is better compared to TurboHead SureFires.

The 8NX+KT5 (N5 Lamp) produces a solid beam that was quite surprising compared to the N2's beam - round, pure and solid. It is out-thrown by the the very centre spot of my TigerLite.

The 9AN+KT3 does not appear to go down the long-throw thin beam round - rather use it's 2.5" diameter reflector to increase the impact of the beam at more tyically encountered ranges. At first I was disappointed because I was expecting a 9NT type thin, intense beam. I prefer the 9AN+KT3 beam to the 9AN (I have both for direct side-by-side evaluations with my 9NT)

If you are looking for best bang-for-buck tight beam flashlight then I'd say from what I have and what I've seen, the TigerLight is it.

I think the 9NT is one of the best beams I've ever seen though and I grab it for look-see over my TigerLite.

I should point out that the difference in thrown of the models I have doesn't appear to my eyes to be that different. I mean the UltraStinger and TigerLight and 9NT and M6 (etc) all appear to me to be useful to about the same range. Perhaps it's my eyes that can't see at the range needed to tell the difference?

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips, Al...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Another option I'm figurin' to get is a KT1 Turbohead, slap in an N2 LA, and slick it onto a UBH or 3xMcLux... Or keep the N1 lamp in the KT1, stick it on an E2e with an E2C adaptor for a smaller size, but good throwing light...

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
After researching through these forums I have decided to purchase a Tigerlight. There is a dealer who sells them locally but I don't know how fast he turns them over. I understand there was an issue with the reflector. Is there an easy way to tell if the flashlight has the old reflector or the new one? Is the box they come in sealed so that I won't be able to open it and check to see if it is old or new? Any help appreciated.