I think I know something else Apple is going to do

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
With deference to js for his thread, here's my take on another recent Apple move. Maybe some of you can give me a rationality check on this...

- Apple comes out with remote OS installation. This was introduced with the MacBook Air. Just enough ROM in the hardware to know how to connect, download, then load its operating system software from over the network.

- MacOS 10.6 does not, by default, install some of the OS pieces such as Printer Drivers and the Rosetta PowerPC emulation layer. It reaches out to Apple's servers and downloads the pieces as needed on the fly.

- Apple recently inked a deal to build a massive server farm in North Carolina, but its purpose is secret.

- Apple is in the game to sell hardware. The software such as the operating exists to serve that purpose.

Therefore, to my mind, it looks completely like it would be a great advantage to Apple if they simply sold their OS to be delivered over the Internet. They could sell all hardware with just enough ROM to reach out and grab the OS from the Internet AFTER the point of sale. Heck, even if you buy a new Mac from Apple these days you need to load about a gigabyte of updates to the darned thing as soon as you turn it on for the very first time. That's getting ridiculously close to the entire OS anyway.

In fact, with this sales method Apple could even allow their customers to subscribe to receive OS upgrades. Because the AppleCare warranty is a tough sell these days, maybe Apple would even bundle OS upgrades with the duration of the AppleCare plan.

So... Maybe that's what the top secret new facility is for? To deliver entire MacOS operating systems over the Internet.

I mean, yes it could be for the online iWork expansion, a MobileMe that finally understands its purpose, or media delivery for iTunes, but I like the OS delivery idea.

What do you think folks think?

TJx

Newly Enlightened
I'm a diehard Mac fanboy but I won't download my operating system every time I turn on my computer.
I'll just switch to Linux or something.
Wasn't Microsoft looking into this a few years ago also???

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I only meant the OS would install as a grab from the Internet instead of being distributed on a DVD. Once you have it installed, it'd be local as it is now.

Seems to me that all the technology is in place for that, including network/remote OS install as appeared with the MacBook Air, but all that's missing is a honkin' huge distribution farm.

Coincidentally, Apple is building a huge server farm in NC with a mysterious purpose.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a PITA. I do some admin work and I would always carry a pack of DVDs of OS, Software or whole system images because no matter how fast a connection is, it's not as fast as popping in a DVD and waiting 20 mins for an install.

MS was looking in to it. It's a stupid idea because their biggest customers which are large firms wouldn't take advantage of it and if they did it would be costly in bandwidth for both sides. Large firms just get VLKs and roll OSes out en mass via Images.

Today's IT world is all about getting up and running fast and keeping it running as long as you can. To download the OS then install that's counterproductive.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple has pretty well given up on big firms/IT departments and concentrated on individual users.
They lost that war when the other side was still running DOS.
The only big organization I know of that still uses the Mac OS is the FBI for security reasons
-
I do not think Apple needs a new server farm for OS installation. As pointed out by the OP, that is happening now. I lost maybe 2 hours total when I first connected my iMac to the net. 1/2 hour a week for a month.
-
Could be movie distribution.
Video stores buy a DVD for maybe $5 wholesale, rent it out at $3 to a lot of people, the studios do not effectively get any money after the 2nd rental. The sale of pre-owned DVDs cut into new DVD sales a month later. Blockbuster is in financial difficulty and may go under.
With rentals through iTunes the studios get their cut every time someone rents or buys a movie.
Apple will make a lot of money selling Apple TVs to connect to big screens.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
- MacOS 10.6 does not, by default, install some of the OS pieces such as Printer Drivers and the Rosetta PowerPC emulation layer. It reaches out to Apple's servers and downloads the pieces as needed on the fly.
It does not install them by default, but one can activate the installation from the DVD.
- Apple recently inked a deal to build a massive server farm in North Carolina, but its purpose is secret.
It's not secret. Apple has already disclosed that the server farm is to support the iTunes store (including video downloads in HD).
- Apple is in the game to sell hardware. The software such as the operating exists to serve that purpose.
Correct

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple has already disclosed that the server farm is to support the iTunes store (including video downloads in HD).

Oh! I missed that info. I found it now at the AppleInsider. (Do you believe it's just for iTunes? I suppose it could be just that.) Thank you!

I still think it'd be advantageous to get the new OS from the 'net rather than a DVD. At 1 to 1.5 GB for updates when folks get a new Mac, I don't see why they shouldn't just be downloading a couple more and getting the latest full OS. Myself, I just configure machines at my office and get the updates from a local server then deliver them to people. For the bigger firms the OS X server could either serve the full installer locally or just keep doing as it is now and serving fully config'd images.

I think it's time to clearly make the split between another company selling the OS and Apple giving it away. I don't know if the business distinction is worth the revenue loss, but at least the distribution model is something to consider.

Okay guys. I'll relent. Thank you all for your input.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, with this sales method Apple could even allow their customers to subscribe to receive OS upgrades

I hate to seem a bit cynical, but when Microsoft tries this it's met with every industry 'expert' crying foul and threatening global lawsuits. Why should Apple be treated any different?

The problem here is that platform sales, especially Apples's trend heavily towards portables rather than desktops. The good news is it's allowed Apple to take a huge chunk out of the Windows PC market. The bad news is laptops (both Mac and generic PC) have a much shorter product cycle than desktops, and often the means by which you get the OS is simply getting a new laptop.

I just don't think there's a huge demand for OS migrations to warrant a big fuss, and even so you can always distribute a micro-OS via USB or CD that can be booted from to download the new full OS. You also don't need platform-centric servers to distribute the upgrade. It's mostly just FTP with the host OS having most of the smarts. Been writing scripts to do this on the Windows side since 97' - it's not that big a deal.

I suspect Apple is doing something with either centralized media distribution (where the money is) or perhaps something involving cloud computing. Apple is ballzy enough to try and compete with Google apps, technically proficient enough to make it work, and has a loyal enough user base to make money off it.