Thor 10 15 or 18 Million CP

Dan Whit

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I have been reading on the forum for several months now. I finally decided to create an account, as i have some a question i can't find a direct answer to. I'm working on and HID mod and i really like the Cyclops thor for a host. I was wondering if anybody knew if there were a difference between the 10, 15, or 18 million CP and if i could get just the shell some where. I don't want to pay 80 dollars for it because of coarse i'm gutting it completely. Thanks !

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Stanley H.I.D for $75, no need to mod.

I have to agree with glockboy-why not hit the ground running when it comes to HID's.Unless you really have your heart set on doing a conversion.

BTW-You should be asking this over in the Spotlight and HID section.

I'm sure a Mod will be along in a minute.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I too agree with the idea of just getting an HID, although I would recommend the SunForce 25 Million Candlepower HID spotlight over the Stanley, as it is more powerful and only a little more expensive. The SunForce out throws the Stanley by a significant amount, and will be able to put visible light on objects at a greater distance. This means that the SunForce will light up distant objects more brightly than the Stanley. I own both of these lights, and have done extensive comparisons between the two.

The SunForce 25 Million Candlepower HID spotlight is rechargeable and has a runtime of around 40 minutes at full brightness. A nice thing about it is that despite its size, it is extremely light weight and easy to carry, especially with its shoulder strap.

In regards to your original question, the 10 Million CP Thor uses a 12V 100W H4 Halogen bulb and has a 7'' reflector, and the 15 and 18 Million Candlepower Thors use 130W H4 Halogen bulbs and have 8.5'' reflectors. There is no difference between the 15 and 18 Million Candlepower Thors except body color (15MCP is black, 18MCP is green).

The 15 and 18 Million Candlepower Thor models will be equal in power, and will both be significantly more powerful than the 10 Million Candlepower Thor whether they are all compared with their stock halogen bulbs or if all the models are upgraded to HID and then compared. The 8.5'' reflector in the 15/18MCP gives it an enormous throw/lux advantage over the 10 Million Candlepower, so a 15/18MCP Thor converted to HID will have more throw than a 10MCP Thor with the same HID lamp.

Also, the SunForce 25 Million Candlepower HID spotlight will easily out throw a stock Halogen 15 or 18 Million candlepower Thor, and will be much brighter too.

If you really want to do a HID conversion, then the best host would probably be the Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Halogen Spotlight bought at Advance Auto Parts for $60. That light has a giant reflector around 9'', and I think it would likely be even better than a 15 or 18 Million CP Thor for a conversion.

As previously stated, this thread belongs in the Spotlights forum and needs to be moved there.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Dan Whit

Newly Enlightened
Well thank you all for your input and help. I'm actually trying to rig up a 1200 watt PAR metal halide. Doesn't 100,000 lumens sound absolutely delicious?
BTW, how do you move a thread?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would think that a 1200 watt HID mod in a halogen host would probably be a little brighter than the stanley HID stock, considering it draws 34 times as much power...

lolzertank

Enlightened
Well thank you all for your input and help. I'm actually trying to rig up a 1200 watt PAR metal halide. Doesn't 100,000 lumens sound absolutely delicious?
BTW, how do you move a thread?

This will be a milestone. Six digit illumination in a handheld package. And we thought BVH's carbon arc was bright...

Dan Whit

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i decided that i wanted insane lumens for my boat when i'm on the river. I don't have to worry about a power source because it will be connected to the boat. So, i figured what the hay, Might as well go all out!