Really, how many lumens is the ProPolymer 4AA luxeon?

bcwang

Enlightened
I just pulled this light out last night after a long period of not using it. The light is bright, but after seeing that it is only rated for 42 lumens, I'm not really believing it. There is no way this thing could only be 42 lumens, it is significantly brighter than my L1P, maybe brighter than my quark neutral on high (tint difference makes it hard to tell), seems almost as bright as my surge running nimh, and definitely seems brighter than my tk40 on low (supposed to be 93 lumens)

I don't know if it's the awesome focused hotspot that throws me off, but overall it just seems like it's gotta be closer to around the 100+ lumen area.

Did anyone put one of these in an integrating sphere and figure out just how many lumens is actually produced by this flashlight?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just pulled this light out last night after a long period of not using it. The light is bright, but after seeing that it is only rated for 42 lumens, I'm not really believing it. There is no way this thing could only be 42 lumens, it is significantly brighter than my L1P, maybe brighter than my quark neutral on high (tint difference makes it hard to tell), seems almost as bright as my surge running nimh, and definitely seems brighter than my tk40 on low (supposed to be 93 lumens)

I don't know if it's the awesome focused hotspot that throws me off, but overall it just seems like it's gotta be closer to around the 100+ lumen area.

Did anyone put one of these in an integrating sphere and figure out just how many lumens is actually produced by this flashlight?
Around 40+ lumens, but it is an incredible thrower due to its very deep and smooth reflector. This gives the impression the light is much brighter than 40 lumens. Overall output doesn't mean much, beam profile sometimes is a lot more important. Why do you think that lowly stock incandescent Mags are still kings of throw among the mainstream lights? (and better than many high-end LED lights, for that matter).

DigMe

Enlightened
They are awesome general purpose lights and a great value. Mine is my most used light around the house.

brad

bcwang

Enlightened
Around 40+ lumens, but it is an incredible thrower due to its very deep and smooth reflector. This gives the impression the light is much brighter than 40 lumens. Overall output doesn't mean much, beam profile sometimes is a lot more important. Why do you think that lowly stock incandescent Mags are still kings of throw among the mainstream lights? (and better than many high-end LED lights, for that matter).

I don't know, I'm also comparing the spill beam and how it lights up the rest of the surroundings. I still think it's gotta be a lot more than 40 lumens. And yes, mag lites are known to be great throwers but they still look very dim. The propoly actually looks really bright.

Isn't the TK40 supposed to be a decent thrower? I think the fact that the propoly looks brighter than that has got to mean something.