Best compact flashlight AA batteries?

kobebeef24

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am new to these forums and I don't know too much about flashlights. But I am wondering what the most powerful and efficient compact flashlights are that use AA batteries. I'm looking for something with at least 150 lumens. Any feedback would be appreciated :wave:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Kobebeef.

You'll soon realize Google search will be your best pal here. Try it. ;)

sparkysko

Enlightened
I always assumed that the limiting factor was the current draw from the battery. That every vendor tends to limit the maximum current draw, but they only pick so high.

AFAIK they don't make anything greater than 130 lumens or so on AA.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I always assumed that the limiting factor was the current draw from the battery. That every vendor tends to limit the maximum current draw, but they only pick so high.

AFAIK they don't make anything greater than 130 lumens or so on AA.

Some flashlights use direct drive on li-ions so high is VERY high but only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes. Is it possible to similarly design a flashlight that on high pulls as much as possible from a primary giving only say 15 minutes on high or turbo with more lumens? ...or is it simply impossible to get 180 lumens from a AA primary for even 5 minutes?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for power, get a Quark AA and use 14500 batteries. If you want portability, get a Nitecore EZAA (pretty much the smallest AA light period). The EZAA is 130 lumens with normal batteries, and with 14500 batteries, it is more like 160 lumens.

erlon

Newly Enlightened
Liteflux LF5XT or Nitecore D10 or JetBeam JET I Pro V3.0 or Nitecore Defender Infinity

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, to get the lumen you looking for you need to go with the 14500 Li-ion batt. Or wait a bit...for example the Ti-AA Quark might come close off a simple AA batt. A Nite-core D-10 (cool light) with the new R4 LED (not made yet) probably would output 150 off a standard AA too.

For now, like CaNo said...probably a Quark AA R2 with 14500 is a good way to go...pretty good run time too...30 minutes...then recharge...don`t try to run longer or your pushing it. Li-ions don`t like to be run down below 3 volts...could cause damage to the batt.

Bullman

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at AA lights too, but really I am more interested in lights using at least two batteries, like the Olight T25 or Fenix LD 20. looking to use either of them as a LEO belt light to supplement / replace my streamlight strion.

Egsise

Banned
Hi, I am new to these forums and I don't know too much about flashlights. But I am wondering what the most powerful and efficient compact flashlights are that use AA batteries. I'm looking for something with at least 150 lumens. Any feedback would be appreciated :wave:
Define compact.
1xAA won't give you 150+lumens, 2xAA and 1x 14500 Li-Ion is capable of 150+ lumens.
8xAA(Fenix TK40) is over 600 lumens.

Buy the Quark AA2 neutral white, It's so easy to sell it if you don't like it.

Last edited:

kobebeef24

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys. I think I'm going to buy either a d10 or an EZAA. those look extremely compact and still have 130 lumens of output on AA (according to the manufacturers). :)

Egsise

Banned
thanks guys. I think I'm going to buy either a d10 or an EZAA. those look extremely compact and still have 130 lumens of output on AA (according to the manufacturers). :)
Please note that emitter lumens are different than out the front lumens.
Read 1xAA comparisons to find out the difference in REAL outputs and beam shapes.
If you don't you can end up buying 20$ AKOray K-106 which has unbelievable 230 lumens!(according to manufacturer). :thinking: :D