Inova X5 Problem

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys and gals,

My long serving Inova X5, the HA version from Countycomm, is having issues. With fresh batts, it will come on, then if I shake it, it goes off. Specifically, if I tap it bezel side down into the palm of my hand, it will come on, then doing that again makes it go off. I'm just about to sent it to Inova for a replacement (gonna miss the cool finish :( ), but figured I'd check with the crew here to see if there's any non-destructive, non-warranty-voiding things I can check first.

Thanks!

Larbo

Enlightened
If that is still available in the store, buy a new one and return the broken one, works for me all the time.

Larbo

Enlightened
I don't think statements like that will win you much favor around here.

O really...If you bought something that broke and it was still sold why should you have to go through the hassle of returning it to the manufacturer when the problem can be fixed in a quick visit to the store!:shakehead

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try cleaning the battery contacts and the TC threads, if that doesn't help try bypassing the tailswitch with a piece of wire. If the light still acts up when using a wire inplace of the tailcap then the problem is probably in the head end and that is not really too easy to take apart since the bezel is press fit into the body.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I have not had any good experiences with Inova lights. I had a tac light from them, can't remember the model number since I gave it away. The switch failed almost right away. Bought it in CA. and live in Ohio. Had to return it, but got back a new light that was a smaller dia.

I have had at least 5 Inova lights and not one of them works as of this moment. Gave 3 of them away before they failed. The last two just got canned.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email or call Inova directly - I have had nothing but excellent service from them.

Just had an old X5 tail quit on me and they mailed a replacement right away no questions asked.

Here is the contact info for the inova rep I dealt with:

Dot Dubeau
Sales Administrator
(401) 294-2030 x204
[email protected]

Good luck!

762x51

Newly Enlightened
My black X5T that I have had for about 6 years just started having exactly the same problem as yours.

Going to email Inova and see what they say.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullfrog - Thanks! I got my RA# from Dot right here! I've got it all ready to be shipped out.

I'll see about trying that bypass idea...

Okay, UPDATE! Bypassing the tailswitch and I can't get it to repeat the faulty behavior! That's good.
I cleaned out the tailcap with alcohol, but when I screw it all the way down, it still does the same thing.
It will come on, but it a whap the bezel into the palm of my hand, it goes out. A quick shake, and it's
back on again, but only if I shake it. Can I get the tailcap apart to maybe clean it out, or sand some
critical areas for better contact?

. . .

Okay, new update. After some testing and shaking, it's off for good now. Hrm. Even with the tailcap
removed and bypassed, there's no light. DOH! Looks like I'm shipping this. Probably something
loose in the head.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Emissive Energy made good on their warranty. Just got my black one in the mail today. NICE! This thing is a lot brighter and feels just a tiny shade thinner around than the older one.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
O really...If you bought something that broke and it was still sold why should you have to go through the hassle of returning it to the manufacturer when the problem can be fixed in a quick visit to the store!:shakehead

It's people who do sh*t like this that inconvenience everyone else, and raise prices for everything. Like my sister's I-pod docking station. This past Christmas, she got one. The gen.10 (I think). Open it up, and what do wee see, but a busted gen.7 docking station.

An act like you describe is outright fraud! Shame on you!!!:scowl:

nnmnu

Newly Enlightened
It's people who do sh*t like this that inconvenience everyone else, and raise prices for everything. Like my sister's I-pod docking station. This past Christmas, she got one. The gen.10 (I think). Open it up, and what do wee see, but a busted gen.7 docking station.

An act like you describe is outright fraud! Shame on you!!!:scowl:

Umm not defending anyone but I look at the package to make sure whatever Im buying is new.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X1 did the same thing, basically...just quit working for no apparent reason. While I still like there styling and stuff, for a light to just quit working??? I could see if I dropped it or something...my list of "other lights" grows shorter by the months.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you buy something, then return it to the store because it was faulty( ie swaped lights over ), i dont really see the issue, if the store does its job it will still go back to the manufacturer. shops represent the manufacturer and should provide first hand customer service.

if the item is just returned with no mention of problems then obviously we all get anoyed as the item is back on the shelf and gets turned around again.