Sticking with Maglites

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I think I will just stick with Maglites from now on , I have an Olight M20 and M30 and a Surefire M6 and a few G2s and I still always seem to go for the Maglite LED D cell and LED Mini Mags :crazy: plus they are way cheaper , I came to this conclusion last knight when I had my Olight M30 and my brother had an el cheapo Walmart 3 color Coleman max flashlight that seemed as bright as my M30 :sick2: let the flaming commence :grin2: but I will still hang out here .

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart 3 color Coleman max flashlight that seemed as bright as my M30
:candle:

I don't know whats the "3 color Coleman max flashlight", but i can't imagine ANY flashlight from walmart as bright as an Olight M30.lovecpf

Btw, what have you been smoking lately?

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I think it just had a brighter hot spot or something because we were both shining our lights on the ceiling of the shop and his was very noticeable in my beam , I was so disappointed I had to drink a can of Bush beer :mecry: plus I kind of like throw .

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to break a window with a flashlight the MagLite would be my first choice. :D

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will just stick with Maglites from now on , I have an Olight M20 and M30 and a Surefire M6 and a few G2s and I still always seem to go for the Maglite LED D cell and LED Mini Mags :crazy: plus they are way cheaper , I came to this conclusion last knight when I had my Olight M30 and my brother had an el cheapo Walmart 3 color Coleman max flashlight that seemed as bright as my M30 :sick2: let the flaming commence :grin2: but I will still hang out here .

Nothin' wrong with using those Mags. The Mag D cell makes a good around the house light; I use mine because I don't have to think about how much run time I'm killing off of one of my EDC lights. It's nice to be able to pick one up and not worry about run time.

Hard to beat ~50 lumen otf with days of runtime... so long as you don't have to carry it anywhere.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
I think it just had a brighter hot spot or something because we were both shining our lights on the ceiling of the shop and his was very noticeable in my beam , I was so disappointed I had to drink a can of Bush beer :mecry: plus I kind of like throw .

ROFLOL!! If I had been drinking anything, it wouldn't have gone down...

I have Mags as well, but they don't get used too much - too big to carry around all of the time. Now I just have a quark or a D10 in my pocket. And when other people are rummaging around for a light, I just take mine out on the spot. The availability is what I like. One flashlight in the pocket is worth a 1000 at home in the desk or car, or wherever.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, by all means. You find a good product, and you stick with it! Just because it is not the most popular vote or the newest Cree, does not mean it will not be just as beneficial when you need to use it. A flashlight is a flashlight, it will guide you through the dark. User interfaces, lumen counts, type of bulb, etc are always changing. You will never be able to catch up... which obviously adds to the obsession.

Stick with what works for you. If it is Maglite at the moment, then so be it. But as long as you are going to continue hanging out here at CPF... you know and I know... your perspective will change eventually. One day, you will discover a newer, better, more suitable and convenient light for your needs. Until then... Maglite it is :thumbsup:

But to me it seems like you are stuck in a plateau, and you are referring back to a sure bet. It seems like you hyped yourself up so much with your current purchases, that the Maglite seemed like the best bang for the buck, and giving you the thought that you wasted your money (In hopes on finding something that will outdo and blow your Maglite away...).

Maglite is reliable, does not require any fancy Japanese lithium cells to deliver quality performance (convenience), and has excellent runtime. Not to mention their known durability. Sometimes the simpler the better. Maglite is a solid bet, and has been around for ages. So you know they have to be doing something right. :D Ever notice why they never try to outdo other light manufacturers when it comes to brightness or newest bulb? They have a solid foundation, and they are sticking with it. They are known for their durabilty, plain and simple. You do not hear alot of people saying their Maglite died on them a few months later, but instead you hear them say that they still have their 20 year old Maglite running, but they are due for an upgrade to a brighter light / bulb. The beautiful thing about Maglites are that you do not have to part away from them. People love their Maglites so much, that they come out with drop-in mods to upgrade the brightness of their light (this also includes the conversion from incandescent to LED). There are numerous mods for Maglites out there, just incase you get bored of it one day.

What it seems like to me is you just need to vent, and this is the perfect place to do it! :nana: Also remember, everyone has their purpose for purchasing a flashlight. Some have to find a reliable one for their job (cops, firemen, etc), some are for extreme activities (caving, hiking, scuba-diving), some are for safety (bicycle lights, car breakdowns)... I can go on forever, I'm sure you got the point. But lets face it, most of the people on here are looking for a new toy. Just remember, you cannot mix that aspect of purchasing a light, with the quality of the light, and come to a conclusion about it that way. When you purchase an Olight, or a Quark for example, you are paying for the User Interface, multimodes, newest cree, forward/reverse clicky, etc. With a Maglite, your modes are limited. Reading a map in the dark with a Maglite will give you more of a headache (destroying your night-vision), than lets say, using the red low mode on a Ra Twisty 85-TR. To each it's own. :)

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those Mags are good durable lights, and are very economical when you need plenty of light for extended periods of time, just not the most portable (the D-cell ones, that is). Maybe you need to get some drop-ins for your G2's. Malkoff M60 or M60L come to mind. Very bright. It might be just what you need to make you want to use them more often.

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I think the other reason is if a I destroy a Maglite like I almost did to my minimag 3 cell LED by running it over with a forklift at work (rolled off the tray) it would hurt a lot less too , I probably use my minimag LED 3 cell the most of all , even though its now bent a little .

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened

Cool -- so.. uhh.. How much for the 2 Olights? (willing to throw in some maglites in the trade)

Schuey2002

Enlightened
The M30 has a rather small head for a MC-E light. Not to mention that shallow, heavily-textured reflector that is tucked inside there. It's really more of a flood light that chucks out a ton of light, than a dedicated thrower.

If you want throw, there are lights out there that will do a better job than the M30, Taylor.. :grin2:

Vesper

Enlightened
Nothing wrong with Maglite. They hit the scene early, became synonymous with flashlight for many millions of folks and have stayed well in their market niche. It's a well built flashlight, and especially with an LED in it, does the job. Go with what works.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Are you sure that the OLight was on maximum brightness?

Here is a beamshot from a M30 and a Mag 6D:
DSC_7618a.jpg
DSC_7625a.jpg

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Since you are worried about ruining it at work. Maybe you just need a nice light with a pocket clip that has good throw, but doesn't cost an arm-and-uh-leg... ;-)

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I've got a multi-mode MagAA with the Rebel LED in it and I like it a lot. If they would upgrade their Solitaire with a LED emitter it would likely be what I put on my keychain.

Latest posts