Great customer service and a new toy The XTI Procyon

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
This is a two part post, part one is letting all of you know of the great customer service I received from Insight.

Last year I received a new XTI Procyon for Christmas. I use this on my duty gun (an HK USP 9mm). For the last five years I had been using an Insight M2 (UTL) which is an older style incan weapon light made for the USP series of pistols due to their proprietary frame rails instead of the more common 1913 style rails.

Last month the XTI stopped working. I don't know what the cause was, I check the light every workday as I check the condition of my gun. One day it worked, the next it didn't. Now, one thing you need to know is that my gun does not sit in its holster. It gets used alot, I shoot action pistol competitions including the police olympics and I am a firearms instructor with my department. I have probably shot 3000-4000 rounds with that light on the gun.

I called Insight and told them about the problem (and yes, I tried new batteries). However there was one issue, my duty holster is designed to have the light on the gun and will not work without the light. I also do not have a second holster to use in the mean time. Insight did not even blink... " No problem, we will send you a new one"...!!! HOLY COW...!!! a company who understands its customers needs and goes out of its way to help them. Insight has earned a customer for life. I urge all of you to take a look at insights lights, they are well made, reasonably priced, and have very good performance.

The second part of this post is a review of the XTI Procyon.

The Insight XTI Procyon is a metal cased LED weapon light. It is powered by two CR123 batteries and has a claimed output of 125 lumens.
DSCN0830.jpg

A very unique feature of the light is the reflector. It has facets instead of the traditional Orange Peel or smooth reflector.

DSCN0832.jpg

This gives the light a unique but, very functional beam profile. In my use of the light it has good flood but will still light up targets at 50 yards. During extra training I have set up photographic targets at our range and asked my coworkers to identify threats/non-threats with there gun lights at night. while some guys with the newer lights have no problem the older incan lights are very difficult to use at that distance. The XTI Procyon was excellent. Clear beam with easy identification and enought spill to look at the immediate area without taking the spot off of the threat.

Now, I am not arguing that you have to be able to ID and shoot someone from fifty yards. But, I work for a rural Sheriff's Dept. It is not unusuall to respond to a house with a 50-100 yard long driveway. When arriving on a hot call, having a gun light that can help you see at that distance without having to resort to a larger second light is worth every penny.

DSCN0834.jpg

The light functions are controlled by two seperate switches on the back of the light. Push up for constant on. Push down for momentary. Double tap up or down quickly for strobe. The strobe is fast and is full brightness. The switches are independant of each other allowing for either right or left hand operation.

DSCN0833.jpg

As I said before the build quality of the light is very good. I really like solid metal construction over the plastic. Much better heat dissipation and they don't break... trust me I've seen it.

If you are looking for a weapon light, either for handgun or rifle, I highly recommend this light. The price is very reasonable and the performance is excellent.

Latest posts