HELP: lost HDS60 - need new light

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, havent posted in more than one year b/c I have been carrying my HDS ultimate 60 contently in a mattofthehide holester. However, my son loves playing with the light and I have not been able to find it for one week.

I had been eyeing many different lights but nothing grabbed my interest or satisfied all my requirements. Now I need your help. Here are my requirements:

1. able to use RCR123 - preferably one cell for size requirement - see below
2. cannot be larger than the HDS - preferablly smaller (love the Firefly III size but hate the Flupic due to poor reliability) since I would belt carry in a holster. this is why I have not pulled trigger for Henry's new lights
3. do not like made in China lights even tho I am Chinese. should have high quality.
4. price under $500
5. should have at least 2 brightness levels. low being able to preserve night vision.

I may have more requirements as I think of them.
thanks in advance for your help.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get another HDS U60 from someone.

There isn't another light out there quite like it. There are lights that come close but it just ain't the same.

You want grade AAA steak. Don't settle for just any old piece of meat.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
If you don't mind the slightly larger size of the Ra Clicky, it's a great light. Given that both the EDC and Ra are Henry designed and built, you should very much enjoy the Ra Clicky!

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the responses so far. I had wanted to avoid getting another HDS in part because there are better, more efficient emmiters now - 4 years after my initial purchase.

As for Novatac, my impression is that quality is not quite near HDS. I want to avoid RA lights b/c I do not want a light that is bigger then the HDS, which although not large, is noticeable on my belt. Now that I upgraded my Treo to the sleek Palm Pre, the HDS sticks out like a sore thumb on my waist.

Any other thoughts?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the responses so far. I had wanted to avoid getting another HDS in part because there are better, more efficient emmiters now - 4 years after my initial purchase.

Any other thoughts?

Perhaps you should look at link in my sig and rethink about getting another HDS.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got three E1B's and I wouldn't recommend one if you need a night vision low level.

The Surefire T1A meets your criteria if you can get past the sometimes lousy tint and anemic high setting. The build is less robust than the HDS in my opinion but the light is nice and small. LA Police Gear has them on sale from what someone has posted on another recent thread.

Of course, my first choice would be a Ra light, when I lost my Ra Clicky, I bought another Ra. Just ignore the monster clip if you want something pocketable.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tebore, I did look at your sig but I would never attempt a mod like that. Also, does changing the emitter affect the circuitry and regulation of the light?

Read up on the T1A. I am not impressed about "tint and anemic high" as per Vox.

All responses seem to lead back to Henry. Come on guys, is that all you got?? When Henry broke with Novatac and started RA, some of us gave him feedback about not making the light bigger. To my disappointment, he built a tank - much more than I need to have for normal uses. I need portability more than extreme ruggedness.

Any more thoughts?

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Your choices are very slim within your criteria.
I don't blame you for ruling out the Ra Clicky because I too feel it is too damned bulky for what it is.
Especially the Titanium version!
I was very disappointed because I was hoping to see a svelte version of the Clicky that would have taken advantage of the awesome material properties of Titanium.

As mentioned above, the Surefire E1 backup is the only light that I can think of that meets your criteria but I don't really care for the tight/throwy beam generated by the TIR optic.
It is very different than what you are accustomed to w/ the HDS.
Never seen the Bitz but I don't like battery crushers!

I DARE you to buy one of these along with a clip and a couple AW 14500 batteries and tell me you are not impressed with the quality and performance.
I actually like the AA form factor of this light better than the 123 version because the EX10 is too small! (YMMV)
It will very likely redefine what you expect from a flashlight. Asian or otherwise!
...and for ONLY $60, you've got nothing to lose.

*edit* Use your CPF discount for even lower prices!

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I linked the Q5 instead of the R2 version by mistake, fixed.
Get the newest emitter.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get another HDS U60 from someone.
There isn't another light out there quite like it. There are lights that come close but it just ain't the same.
You want grade AAA steak. Don't settle for just any old piece of meat.

Wish you hadn't have said that because I have been trying to deny it since I lost a U60:( a couple years ago and BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!

I have a Novatac 120P. it works, but there's something about the 'feel' of the old HDS! From a performance standpoint I would have to say the QUARK CR123 would do well. My neutral & titanium versions are greatly cherished posessions:)

Viper715

Enlightened
With your price range you can afford a custom light. I would look up Milkyspit and have him build you a light that matches all of your criteria. I have a Gosling built by him on the way and can't wait. I have had several others by him and they are the best I have seen. But if you want to stick with stock the Nitecore's and 4 sevens have some nice offerings that meet your criteria for a fair price.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want smaller than the HDS EDC, and you like the size of the Fire~Fly, you should check out the Muyshont lights - specifically the Nautilus and Aeon.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Viper, I am amazed at the gosling and I have contacted Milkyspit but he appears very busy and backlogged.

Yucca, I am looking into your suggestion possibly for a host for a custom from Milky.

James, thanks but I think I will look into a custom built light.

gs, I have been eyeing the aeon but it is cr2. can't find nautilus which is probably sold out.

armedforces, I may pull the trigger on some nitecore piece to tide me over until Milky responds since cost is nominal.

dan, I will look into the bitz a bitz more :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Boy i don't know if it aint broke don't fix it.You carried an HDS for some time and had no complaints I'd grab another one and be done with it.