Novatac 120P Issues

Cru5ader

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and decided to join because I recently bought my first quality flashlight: a Novatac 120P.

It arrived today, and upon trying it one thought presided: man this thing is complicated to operate!

When I apply a gentle pressure to the button, it either flickers a bit (depending on how much pressure I apply) and seems to come on (and stay on for as long as I keep the gentle pressure applied) at a relatively low setting. Then when I click it in and let it go (less than 1/3 second, like a mouse click) it just turns back off. Then when I let go for a few seconds then quickly click once it does the same thing and doesn't stay on (am I wrong to assume that the flashlight is supposed to stay on without the need for pressure to continually be applied to the button?). Also, when I click once and hold from a [seemingly] off position - so it holds at a relatively low light - then click and hold again, it flashes [what seems like] several times and goes off, even while I'm still holding it in. Other times, to my surprise, when I click and hold the click, then click and hold again (just as quickly as before, when it flashed) it shifts to the higher light setting. ...man this thing is complicated!

Am I doing something wrong?

Could it be that I was sent a defective model? No matter how many times I clicked, and tried different variations of clicking, and holding (for different periods of time, and at different intervals), it would not stay on when I let the button go. I even tried unscrewing the rear-cap and screwing it back on, either tighter or looser, and it did not change anything (though I could have sworn that one of the times I was able to get it to click and hold the light without pressure applied).

Man this thing is complicated! :duh2:

I'm planning on returning it. Too bad, it's such a beautiful light. I'm considering either getting a new 120T (perhaps it's the extra features that are causing the issues?), or a Surefire E1B.

heckboy

Enlightened
I've an old 120P that I wanted to put the tactical tail switch on about a year ago.

I ordered it up and received a DOA tailcap! It didn't work at all, not one wit. I had ordered it from Lighthound and Lighthound made it right immediately.

Needless to say I was surprised and disgusted.

Also, when I originally received the 120P it was a little flaky until I disassembled it and cleaned and lubed the threads as well as the contacts. There is no rational justification for having to do this to a new light, but there it is.

Later,
HB

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have put it into tactical momentary only mode (I think that's what it's called) where it is only on when you hold the button down. Have your tried going through the directions carefully. It is complex at first until you get it set up the way you want it. Take your time in understanding the directions and once it is set up the way you want I think you'll find it is very simple and very intuitive in it's use. You might want to start with doing a hard reset so everything is set back to the initial settings. Then make sure you understand the timing of the clicks as well as the difference between a click and a push-hold and so on. Give yourself an hour or two of time with it when you are not rushed to do other things and unless you do have a defective unit you'll likely find it to be one of the most useful lights you can own. Henry (the designer) still has one of the best UI's around and it is probably one of the reasons his lights remain so popular.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Try unscrewing it, take out the spring and then slightly unwind it (hold either end and roatate away as if you werwe going to get rid of all the spring in it), then clean the contacts witha rag, relube it if you have any or not, did not make a difference in mine.
next do a hard reset - follow the brochure, amke sure you know what you are doing, read it several times to make sure.
Finally make sure you have a fully recharged or new battery.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hello Cru5ader, and welcome,

Where abouts in the World are you based?

For the Novatac, it isn't unknown for the retaining rings to be loose; there are two of relevance that I suggest you look at. The first retains the switch into the tailcap and the second holds the light module in the main body.

On removing the tail cap from the body, you should see a thin metal ring with four indents. For reference, all descriptions are made based on my first generation model. With a pair of needle-nose pliers or something equivalent (and ensuring you don't damage the threads) try tightening the ring to ensure that it is sufficiently tight, and the switch is properly seated.

Secondly, remove the head from the body and look at the similar ring around the positive contact, try the same as before and ensure it is tight. It used to be that this ring caused the problems.

Assuming both rings are tight, reset the torch by following the instructions, (from memory) I think you have to hold the switch during the initial lighting up, after screwing the tail on, for quite a while, until it flashes a few times.

See if it behaves any better then.

Andrew

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
if nothing else, unscrew all 3 main body parts, clean and lube threads (rubbing alcohol, then something atune to nyogel, etc), then reassemble; ensuring to firmly tighten back together.

does your tail cap have a grey rubber boot around the tail cap spring? i recently purchased a 2nd 120p (recent production) and after fiddling with it for a couple of months due to intermittent issues, finally returned it to novatac and they retrofitted the rubber "stabilizer" boot into the switch and i haven't had an issue since.

irregardless, if you can't get it working properly, email novatac and they'll take care of you.