Any flashlights that have gained in value with age

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering with the ever changing technologies out there for lights, are there any lights that have increased in value with age?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some lights that will generally RETAIN value, although in rare cases, they increase in value. Only extremely rare items.

to my knowledge, a Fenix L0-Ti will fetch a pretty penny, and so will the L1+

Crenshaw

strinq

Enlightened
Actually i was wondeirng about this too but was also guessing that they don't retain their value just because the amount of flashaholics isn't large enough and it's almost always "the newer light is better".

This is a little unfortunate to us collectors.
Nvm, I collect guitar pedals too and they generally do retain pretty good value and the vintage ones are just sweet. :)

Dan FO

Enlightened
The McGizmo TI PD-S will bring more than they originally sold for.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Flashlights are probably not the best long term investment.

But had you bought CREE stock last December, you'd have tripLED your money today!

oldpal

Enlightened
I'll bet that my mint Surefire 3P from Laser Products in the original box with papers is worth more than what I paid for it.:thumbsup:

Hugh

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McGizmo TI PD-S will bring more than they originally sold for.
not for sure...

a patient Seller, maybe

if you price it to move, then unlikley.

and yeah, an Original 3P with box and papers will sell for more then its price

Crenshaw

strinq

Enlightened
Hmmm, come to think about it,the Quark Ti's will definitely have a higher value once it reaches they owners. But in the long run it might not...

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'd guess that most of the lights that gain in value are limited edition, custom made lights like McGizmo's PDs, Data's Spy007s, etc. (Even then, as crenshaw noted, the market has somewhat softened.) Of course, there are definitely a few old production lights - the original Surefire 3Ps, for example - that have increased in value because of their historical significance. For the most part, I just expect my lights to lose value these days....and feel pleasantly surprised if they don't. :)

- FITP

Illum

Flashaholic
retaining value yes, those lights have agreeable attributes that can be considered as perfect: concepts like the Surefire A2, Inova X5, etc.

gaining value is a prospect of demand. custom lights manufactured through small batch technology by modders on the forum may gain in value overtime as they are highly demanded during production or mass produced products discontinued over time.
The McLux-PD, Lunasol...Black aviator, PKEF, etc fit this category quite well

How much value is gained is relative to the trends in the market, in this case: the forum.
Selling a McLux to an unenlightened folk for $275 aint gonna happen, but selling it on here it might be able to get more for it

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I don't think I have any that have gone up in value.

A Mr Bulk VIP is neat historically, but i doubt that I'd get much more than the $200 that I recall paying for it.

On the other hand, I've kept one ARC LSH-P in original condition. I imagine it will be worth more than the $75 I spent for it. I use the modded (LED upgrade) LSH-S with 2 stage clicky all the time.

Daniel