Apple's SECRET new iPods?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of weeks ago The Source (by Circuit City) suddenly cleared their iPod Nano 16GB at the same price as the 8GB ones. After they were gone the 8GB Nano came down $10. Something is fishy here.
Googled "New iPod". Googled again limiting search to 1 month.
Apple issued an invite for an announcement 2009-09-09. Big secret. Can't tell you until 2009-09-09.
Much speculation about new iPods. Based primarily on pictures of new cases.
One picture looked awful familiar. Took me awhile to notice why: All those DX watermarks.
Popped over to you know where. Yup they are selling the cases.
I find it funny Apple is still trying to keep the secret when the accessories are already available online.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read on the Fortune Tech site that they expect cameras to be added, and some new features. We'll know on the 9th. Steve Jobs is expected to host.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANOTHER iPod ???? I've not had my iPod Touch all that long and its replacement comes along, I know Apple likes to keep their hardware up to date but this is ridiculous.

In recent years they've update the iPod line every September (after the "free iPod" back to school student sales ended). So it's no big surprise they are doing it again.

Greg

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm I normally update every one they bring out... so I think I will pass on this one no matter how much better than my current iPod Touch 2nd Gen it is!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Steve Jobs returns to release iTunes 9, iPod Nano with video

ipodnk.jpg

Hands On: The iPod Nano Video Interface Is Smooooooth

New iPod Nano Hands On

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have some ipods, including a "touch". My main complaint is that even though it has wifi, you need a MAC adr number to connect to a router. This makes this wifi feature more or less useless away from home.

I am avoiding proprietary "standards" when possible - more likely to buy the Nokia pad instead - runs a derivative of linux.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
even though it has wifi, you need a MAC adr number to connect to a router

Generally, such requirements are on the router side (approved list security). Mine rarely turns on without asking me which of 5 local networks I want to try connecting to, listed by name.

What version of the Touch OS are you running?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, such requirements are on the router side (approved list security). Mine rarely turns on without asking me which of 5 local networks I want to try connecting to, listed by name.

What version of the Touch OS are you running?

I don't know - it is my daughter's ipod. It is not security controlled by our router, that is for certain.

I will ask her to double check and see if we can figure out what the problem is. So - you are sure that the IPOD's and IPhones don't need a MAC adr to work with wifi? OK, will try again.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I simply connect to any available network with mine, providing that they don't have a WPA/WEP security code.

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, those new Nano Video ipods are huge! Just look at the size compared to Steve Jobs' head... Won't fit into any of my pockets...:nana:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know - it is my daughter's ipod. It is not security controlled by our router, that is for certain.

I will ask her to double check and see if we can figure out what the problem is. So - you are sure that the IPOD's and IPhones don't need a MAC adr to work with wifi? OK, will try again.

I have a first gen Touch and have no more than the usual trouble connecting to any wifi. Any computer with ethernet/wifi has a MAC address - you do know this is the standard network Media Access Controller (MAC) ID number - has nothing to do with Apple Macintosh?

Some users do seem to have trouble connecting, though. I would use the Apple Forums iPod Touch forum to explore the problems people have, and solutions. The exact way the Touch is configured and the error messages seen make a difference.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So - you are sure that the IPOD's and IPhones don't need a MAC adr to work with wifi?

As louie states, all devices on a network need a unique identifier. For example, computers with ethernet and wifi have two MAC IDs, one for each.

Assuming I understand you, by 'need an address', you mean are required to know the address of the transmitter/base you want to connect to, right?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not seen the need to know the base's MAC address. If the SSID isn't transmitted, you need to type in the base name. If encryption is used, you also need the WEP/WPA key/password. Otherwise, the list of available SSIDs is presented, and you choose one. That's it.

Who would normally know the MAC address of anything, unless they are setting up filters on the base station?!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely am glad Apple finally added FM radio and the video is a nice touch but so far I haven't read anything about sound quality which is the most important aspect of am mp3 player. I've read reviews of not horrible but middling to just good sound quality of past nanos. Decent after market headphones make a huge difference but some players (Sony) tend to provide a better out of the box listening experience. We'll see what the reviews say.