Surefire 6P / Malkoff M60F Flood

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read and read...this thread was one of the most useful:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200801

But, there are new circumstances. There are 'sales' going on that would allow me to build a 6P/M60F for $90 plus shipping. In other threads you can see my recent fascination with Surefire:

Here and here

And my favorite...

Everything I have is a testament to my fascination with throw, but I really could use a light with a good flood. I know there are better choices, but for the money this seems like a potent Surefire/Malkoff combo that also has, yes, I'll admit it, a bit of panache and coolness.....
:D
What do you think? Is this a good price/choice for a high quality portable flood? For lighting up a room and a large area on the morning dog walks?

I'm hopeless......

:ohgeez:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Warm M60: 1 1/2 hour runtime @ 170 lumens, available at regular price right now.

Warm M60L: 4 1/2 hours runtime @100 lumens, sold out at regular price right now.

Warm M60WF: Same stats as warm M60 but with a nice wide & floody beam, on sale and available right now.

You have linked the regular tint version which isn't bad at all especially at that price but I prefer the more natural look of the W variants outside on the greens and browns of nature. As long as it's a Malkoff you can hardly go wrong with any model.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - huge help and I appreciate it. And these will tolerate the RCR123 batteries, yes? Are 3.7Vs okay, or do I need to stick to a 3V? Or should I just stay with the primaries?

Again, I appreciate the help. I'm stepping into new territory and it seems like I can't, as you say, go wrong at these prices.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - huge help and I appreciate it. And these will tolerate the RCR123 batteries, yes? Are 3.7Vs okay, or do I need to stick to a 3V? Or should I just stay with the primaries?
M60's will take 9V, so two 3.7v RCR's should be fine.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent set-up, especially for the price! i wish this set-up woulda been my first...then I wouldn't have wasted so much money on other non-sf/malkoff products.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an update, I did order the Surefire 6P (in gunmetal gray - new territory for me!) from LA Policegear - great deal. Also ordered the Malkoff M60F drop in.

Not really sure why - that peculiar feeling came over me and, :oops:

I ordered it! But glad I did. After reading through some of the thousands of posts on the forum, it appears that the 6P/M60 is a 'classic' and one that belongs in a flashaholic's collection, right? Now I just need to pick up some RCRs - or is there a better rechargeable since the Malkoff can take up to 9V?

Anybody?

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
After reading through some of the thousands of posts on the forum, it appears that the 6P/M60 is a 'classic' and one that belongs in a flashaholic's collection, right? Now I just need to pick up some RCRs - or is there a better rechargeable since the Malkoff can take up to 9V?

Anybody?

That combination is rated for 90 minutes regulated runtime with 123 primaries, but that's for continuous use.

My personal experience with it (frequent usage but mostly less than a few minutes at a time, a few 30 minute runs to test for heat) had to be well over 2 hours though, MAYBE even 3 hours.

So for runtime I wouldn't split hairs between types of rechargeables based on voltages - really if I wanted to seek more voltage for runtime I'd be looking into a 3 cell host... (assuming you're planning on using RCR123 size cells that is)

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Now I just need to pick up some RCRs - or is there a better rechargeable since the Malkoff can take up to 9V?

Anybody?

You might find the battery and drop in summaries of use here (see Buyers Guide), including runtime examples:

Keep in mind, 17500's can be substituted for 18500's and 17670's can be substituted for 18650's

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That combination is rated for 90 minutes regulated runtime with 123 primaries, but that's for continuous use.

My personal experience with it (frequent usage but mostly less than a few minutes at a time, a few 30 minute runs to test for heat) had to be well over 2 hours though, MAYBE even 3 hours.

So for runtime I wouldn't split hairs between types of rechargeables based on voltages - really if I wanted to seek more voltage for runtime I'd be looking into a 3 cell host... (assuming you're planning on using RCR123 size cells that is)

I expect that the longest run between charges would be 30-40 minutes, and that would not be continuous. I'm just looking to save a buck or two on batteries over time - having said that, I'm yet to change my first battery on my LX2 or my E1B....

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I expect that the longest run between charges would be 30-40 minutes, and that would not be continuous. I'm just looking to save a buck or two on batteries over time - having said that, I'm yet to change my first battery on my LX2 or my E1B....

I'd run a set of primaries to the death and go from there.

It took me over a month to drain a pair in my 6P/M60, and that was with quite a bit of unnecessary use (playing with my new toy).

I figure I'll probably get 6 months a set from here on out - of course this light is not my EDC either, it gets carried a lot but it's not usually the first light I go for in actual use.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
run4jc,

Without a question, Malkoff makes one of the best (if not the best) P60 dropins. I have an M60WL (warm and low) on my Surefire C2 and I can't compliment it enough. You do have an option regarding to other drop ins. One of our fine member, "nailbender" is currently providing a host of P60 drop in options Nailbender Drop ins). I just purchased a Diamond Dragon P60 drop in from him and I should receive it in a couple of days. You also have various manufacturers making drops in as well: List of P60 Drop ins.

Regarding to the host, I love my Surefire C2. In fact, I just purchased another C2 this week :twothumbs. However, you have to realize that Surefire is probably going to be the most expensive route. I purchased a C2 from CPFM from another member, and this is what it will cost me altogether:

1. Surefire C2-HA - $75 (MSRP: $122)
2. Surefire Z58 Tailcap - $30 (MSRP: $42) - I prefer clickies than twisties
3. Malkoff Drop in - $55
4. Boring service so my C2 could accept 18650 Batteries - $19
5. UCL Lens - $6.25
6. Titanium Bezel -$28

Total Cost: $213.25

I know I am paying for a lot more for the Surefire C2 than I would have if I had chosen another host, but I love the Surefire C2 and it's worth it to me. Take a look at this thread, there are a bunch of other hosts that you could consider: P60 Compatible Hosts.

I just wanted to provide you with additional options. Hope this helps. :wave:

Mikellen

Enlightened
WF or WLF :twothumbs

Is the WF way more noticeable in brightness or is it negligible.
Just wondering if the WLF trade off in brightness is worth the increased runtime of about 250% (if my math is correct. Maybe I better ask a 5th grader).

Thanks.