New U-04's & T-04's construction details & parts list. (Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we have kept the name of the U-04 flashlights, but a lot of things have changed on them.

First of all they are more reliable, and for flashaholics you will notice that they are now really easy to upgrade. On the picture I'm attaching you will see all the T-04's parts, and in case it were a U-04 it would be even simpler as they don't have momentary switch, so that means they have 3 pieces less than T's.

So, here is the secret of the reliability and simplicity:

4x High quality O-rings. One on head, two on body, and one on silent, pressure adjustable piston tailswitch.

3 x alloy parts: 1 Head ring, 1 body-head, and 1 tailcap.

1 x Screw-IN light module, 1100 mA, step down high efficiency current regulator, matched to a CREE XR-E Q5. (X-04 module, Mk.III)

1 x High efficiency reflector.

1 x Delrin machined pushbutton.

1x Tailcap contact board,

1x DIN 7984 M3x5 screw.

1x Polycarbonate Makrolon GP lense, 5 mm lense.

... and of course our secret mix of heat and electricity conductive compound.

img26962.jpg

So, now you know they are completely different lights, including everythinh who made our lights reliable to death, and improving on everything we have learned during the last five years.

The most important for you to know is that you will be able to upgrade them in the future!

Regards,

Javier

Last edited:

lojo

Newly Enlightened
oh, the thread screw like head is new, isn't it?

That is then the new addition to give the customer the chance to make the upgrades to the torch themselves?

Saludos

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are some benefits on this design change.

1. Easier upgradeability.
2. O-ring is visible, so you can check it.
3. Head and body is one piece (this was done on earlier versions) and that comes in favour of thougness and thermal management.

Javier

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Great post, Javier!

The T-04 has very few parts, it is straight and simple. No complicated parts which can fail..

The screw-in module is a big chance. Together with optional parts like 2-stage-tailcap e.g., the T-04 is nearly a flashlight system, some kind of lego.

Does Barbolight plan to test new led's and reflectors, so they can offer new modules in the future?

Michael

EDIT: one more question: what lube does Barbolight use for the threads? It's very good and i like how it smells :grin2:

Last edited:

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
Very, very good information Javier! I like too much the idea of easy upgrades. The pick says all. One thing, only one o-ring in the head? Just in the lens i suppose, but what about the head threads zone?

Javier, Michael, I like a lot the smell of the lube in my B-04 (2 years ago) is like cherry flavour. What is it Javier?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, Javier!

The T-04 has very few parts, it is straight and simple. No complicated parts which can fail..

The screw-in module is a big chance. Together with optional parts like 2-stage-tailcap e.g., the T-04 is nearly a flashlight system, some kind of lego.

Does Barbolight plan to test new led's and reflectors, so they can offer new modules in the future?

Michael

EDIT: one more question: what lube does Barbolight use for the threads? It's very good and i like how it smells :grin2:

Hello Michael,

2-Stage tailcap will be an upgrade that most users will be able to do by themselves, if not all. We wanted above all a very reliable tailcap, as the low output option is secondary when it comes to safety.

Regarding new reflectors and LEDs, we will be always using the best available, and in case things are as expected, we would be using the new XPG's, slightly overdriven, when they are released. You will be able to upgrade your lights too. According to CREE you will be getting 37% more light... and that is a lot, in fact more light than our first units of U-09's.

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, very good information Javier! I like too much the idea of easy upgrades. The pick says all. One thing, only one o-ring in the head? Just in the lens i suppose, but what about the head threads zone?

Javier, Michael, I like a lot the smell of the lube in my B-04 (2 years ago) is like cherry flavour. What is it Javier?

You don't need an extra O-ring, as long as the seal is done by just one. In fact in our former products just one of the o-rings was working as sealing one, as the other was merely a retaining ring.

We are using a kind of grease used on sport motorcycles, with antiseize PTFE.

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Javier, but I have a T-04 from this sales thread in 2007. (here). Does this 2007 model use the same Makrolon anti-scratch finish as this new 2009 model?

Yes, we have been using that type since 2006. Anti-scratch doesn't mean scratch-proof unfortunately. You can even scratch saphyre glass... that is the price you got to pay for having a lens which is nearly bulletproof. If you have some scratches you can try using toothpaste to polish it, or we can send you a lense... and of course you can send back the light to be serviced.

The good thing on the new design is that you can use different thickness lenses, from 5 to 1 mm, and that allows you to use glass, just in case you don't mind so much about impact resistance than about light loss.

Regards,

Javier

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
You don't need an extra O-ring, as long as the seal is done by just one. In fact in our former products just one of the o-rings was working as sealing one, as the other was merely a retaining ring.

We are using a kind of grease used on sport motorcycles, with antiseize PTFE.

Javier

Thank you Javier, initially I said that because i thought the water could seep through the head threads as there is not o ring in this area, it is not a flood problem as the O-ring of the lens is sealing the head, but maybe will be necessary a continual disassembling of the head ring and cleaning after use in salt water, to avoid salt accumulation in this zone, and this could be avoid with an extra o ring just near the first fin, i say between body and head ring... only my thoughts of course as i can be mistaken, you are the maker and you know better than us how works a barbolight :thumbsup:

What is the lube brand if it isn't trouble...?

Last edited:

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
The good thing on the new design is that you can use different thickness lenses, from 5 to 1 mm, and that allows you to use glass, just in case you don't mind so much about impact resistance than about light loss.

Javier

Very good alternative for not hard use.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Javier, initially I said that because i thought the water could seep through the head threads as there is not o ring in this area, it is not a flood problem as the O-ring of the lens is sealing the head, but maybe will be necessary a continual disassembling of the head ring and cleaning after use in salt water, to avoid salt accumulation in this zone, and this could be avoid with an extra o ring just near the first fin, i say between body and head ring... only my thoughts of course as i can be mistaken, you are the maker and you know better than us how works a barbolight :thumbsup:

What is the lube brand if it isn't trouble...?

Well, in fact we use a small amount of gasketing glue, so no problem at all with the salt. You need not to open the head to clean it at all. Just in case I would recomend you to use at least the same kind of gasketing compound... and if you need to open the head very often, use the same antiseize grease.

We are using two brands, but we have spent too many time and efforts to share some info. Unfortunately as you knwo there is people in Spain who is copying our logo, the design of the lights, teh texts of the website... and even the names... you now, one alphanumeric... Spending money in R&D is very expensive, and some other just "buy" it from us.

Javier

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
Well, in fact we use a small amount of gasketing glue, so no problem at all with the salt. You need not to open the head to clean it at all. Just in case I would recomend you to use at least the same kind of gasketing compound... and if you need to open the head very often, use the same antiseize grease.

We are using two brands, but we have spent too many time and efforts to share some info. Unfortunately as you knwo there is people in Spain who is copying our logo, the design of the lights, teh texts of the website... and even the names... you now, one alphanumeric... Spending money in R&D is very expensive, and some other just "buy" it from us.

Javier

Ok i understand you perfectly, i know what you say me, not problem then.

Regards

Last edited:

grinsefalle

Enlightened
We wanted above all a very reliable tailcap, as the low output option is secondary when it comes to safety.

Nothing wrong with that. I had some clicky switches of other flashlights failing after some drops, so a reliable switch is a must for me. If this switch has the 2-stage option, this would be perfect.

Regarding new reflectors and LEDs, we will be always using the best available, and in case things are as expected, we would be using the new XPG's, slightly overdriven, when they are released. You will be able to upgrade your lights too. According to CREE you will be getting 37% more light... and that is a lot, in fact more light than our first units of U-09's.

:thumbsup:

Javier

I understand this. But it is the first time that I hear about a company which is copying your products. Never read about this before.
Well, maybe it is possible to include a very small amount of this grease in an little plastic bag with every flashlight, so the user can re-lube the threads after some time - and still has this fine smell :rock:

Michael

wquiles

Flashaholic
But it is the first time that I hear about a company which is copying your products. Never read about this before.
Same here. I did now know you had somebody trying to introduce fake versions of your products! Is it somebody from Asia (where most of the copies come from), or somebody within the EU?

Well, maybe it is possible to include a very small amount of this grease in an little plastic bag with every flashlight, so the user can re-lube the threads after some time - and still has this fine smell :rock:
+1. That is a great idea. That way you can protect your sources, but still help the owner with future maintenance.

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by grinsefalle
But it is the first time that I hear about a company which is copying your products. Never read about this before.

Same here. I did now know you had somebody trying to introduce fake versions of your products! Is it somebody from Asia (where most of the copies come from), or somebody within the EU?

Hi guys, don't go crazy search them, they are not fake versions exactly, but too many similar looks, in logo, in models, in names, etc...i don't want (can) say anymore...

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

yes, you are right about the small bags with grease. We have been trying to get a manufacturer to do that for us, but they ask milion bags!

well, we are exploring some other possibilities.

the funny thing about the people copying the Barbolight products is that they are not registered companies, not liability, no certifications... but just people doing things in their garages. Unfortunately for the good and for the bad some areas of Spain still are a paradise for that kind of activities, with little control from the government... At the end they are transporting their lights thanks to the roads we are paying with our taxes. Olé!

Javier

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.