Life Saving Lights - surviving a rainy night in the mountain

Ian2381

Enlightened
Being flashaholic saved us from disaster, even though I still yet to own a really strong light.

Just came home from our mountain hiking from the weekend and Really glad our group got home safe and sound.

Its quite rainy this past few days in the Philippines but still we pushed through in climbing the Mt Pico De Loro about 664 MASL and 4 hrs trekking time.

We are supposed to arrive at the Summit before sundown but we got lost(we didn't hire a guide). we are on top of the summit with fog all over. when we decided to come back down and look for a camp site but It's already Dark and the trek is really steep, luckily I brought 6 flashlights, 2 headlights and 4 handheld lights. from our group of nine only 1 has a flashlight other than me. We survived the night using my flashlights in a cold, rainy and Dark mountain of Pico De loro.
Even though my Load is quite heavy (due to flashlights and batteries) its really worth it specially in emergencies like this.

Thank goodness my lights survived the rains, cold and mud. I learned a lot from this experince.
-I really think that Light run time is really important for out door use - my weaker flashlight with longer runtime was the most useful.
-Flashlights should be weather proof for outdoor use.
-Water resistant is a plus but water proof is a must.
-Must Carry a headlight or a light with Holder that can be clipped ( I made a holder for two of my lights so that I can use my two hands in holding to rocks and trees to avoide slipping).

Need suggestions in a cheap light which can pass Mt hiking requirements (AA or AAA powered).

Flashlight Carried:
-Energizer LED Headlight (50Hr runtime) (3AAA)
-5 LED(ordinary) Headlight(3AAA)
-Philips Metaflash (3AAA) (about 3Hrs at max output).
-Two police lichao lights (3AAA) (about 3Hrs at max output).
-3 LED light(ordinary) (3AAA)

Really Glad I joined CPF and learned a lot from Other members, I just I wish my ordered lights has arrived before the climb but still I'm fortunate to have some of my collections with me.

Thanks.:)

ergotelis

Enlightened
So, what you learned today: "Throw" away all these and get a(or more) serious flashlight(s)! :D
Of course i don't know if it is affordable by you,but, in emergencies, i wouldn't like to have something i don't trust.

When you say cheap, how cheap?
For the beginning, a cheap,small and good flashlight for suggestion is a Maratac/ itp eos. And better get a stainless steel version,which is more tough!

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Maybe not more than 30USD,

Bought a Fenix E20 but is still waiting for shipment did not arrive on time for the climb).
yeah, I think I'll stop buying cheap lights and purchase more reliable lights for my next climb.

jupello

Enlightened
Lol, you packed quite a few lights on that trip :laughing:
Did the water do something to those lights, or why did you start thinking about their waterproofness? (Just curious since I'm under impression that those 3AAA DD lights will just keep on going even if some water does get inside)

Ian2381

Enlightened
There are moist on the Glass of the police lights, maybe since I tied it on the tree lighting our two tents exposed to the rains. lol
Also the cold weather might have something to do with the runtime of some of my lights, it just got dim after less than two hours of usage.
I brought 6 just to make sure I have backup in case my friends don't brought any which what actually happened.
I also thought of taking pictures of the lights at night but unfortunately I did'nt get any.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to be prepared its always better to have and not need than need and not have. So the other 7 should have learned a lesson things change, plans go wrong so think ahead.

I would suggest getting yourself a good headlamp like a Princeton Tec or Petzel.
I to enjoy Energizer headlamps now and then but wouldn't wanna be caught out in the elements with it.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need suggestions in a cheap light which can pass Mt hiking requirements (AA or AAA powered).
For hiking at night, you DON'T want AAA lights. They simply don't have enough capacity to be worth it IMO.

If you want cheap AA, the cheapest I'd recommend is Fenix's L2D/LD20, or TK20
They are a bit over your budget. But for what they can do, you just can't go wrong. The L2D (for high output) /LD20 (for medium/lo output) is just the efficiency king!:twothumbs

from our group of nine only 1 has a flashlight other than me.
IMO, for ANYONE who hikes unfamiliar places and don't hire a guide AND doesn't bring a flashlight is just........ :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
I have a Fenix E20 ordered already just waiting for shipping(two weeks ago since I back ordered). Do you think it is weather proof enough?

Ian2381

Enlightened
Any Fenix lights should be "waterproof" enough even for swimming.

How water proof is the Fenix e20? can I submerge it underwater?
I saw several review for other Fenix lights that can be submerged underwater but none for the E20

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great story, Ian.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Glad to see that you were prepared -- above & beyond the call of duty. ;)

Tell us . . . .

Do you think that yer' 7 (un-prepared) friends have "learned their lesson" ?

:candle:

And i don't mean:

" Yeah, always go hiking with Ian ! "

:)
_

Ian2381

Enlightened
Some of my friends from work are just beginners in mt hiking and a few wouldn't want to shed some money for a good light, another one brought a 2C flashlight with ordinary bulbs which I think is useless since its Too bulky.
Hopefully they will realize now the importance of flashlight in hiking.
Anyways, I gave one of my headlight to my friend, since I'll be having a new light, just waiting for the shipment.:)

copperfox

Enlightened
...from our group of nine only 1 has a flashlight other than me.

:ohgeez:

I don't understand how people can do serious hiking (I'm not talking a 15 minute trail walk) and not bring a flashlight. I don't care if it's dim and heavy and bulky, bring SOMETHING! :twak:

Ian, good job being prepared and looking out for other people. You may want to remind the others to bring a light next time, even if they leave when it's still daytime.

Look into zebralights, they are really worth the money. :thumbsup:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
+1 - I Second the Zebralight suggestion. Details here: http://www.zebralight.com/

I notice that all of your lights are 3xAAA lights, but these have a lot of disadvantages. You're paying three times as much for your electricity (AAA batteries cost the same as AAs, but you need three of them for the same capacity as a single AA) - this will mount up when you are feeding 9 or 10 lights !

Plus, they are usually unregulated (i.e. will gradually get dimmer), less reliable and more susceptible to moisture/corrosion (8 contact points instead of just two for a single cell light), and a pain if you have to swap batteries in the field (three batteries to fiddle with, make sure you put them in the carrier the right way round, usually when it's dark and raining - who needs that ?).

OK, the Zebralight is a bit over your $30 budget, but that's still a lot less than a good pair of hiking boots . . . and, as the title says, having a decent light might just save your life one day.

AusKipper

Enlightened
How water proof is the Fenix e20? can I submerge it underwater?
I saw several review for other Fenix lights that can be submerged underwater but none for the E20

Yeah, my E20 survives underwater just fine. I would have paid the extra and got the TK20, (or LD20) perhaps that can be your next purchase :)

I'm sure you will be happy with your E20 when you get it (even if it does feel light and flimsy in comparison to the TK20!!) :)

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Ian! I got something good for yah!

iTP C7
- Infinitely variable output
- Built quality on par with Fenix (yes its waterproof, went for a mini diving with it last time)
- Good runtime
- can lego with C8 (AA x 2) & C9 (16340/CR123) bodies
- Its not as bright as L1D/LD10, but its also cheaper PLUS it fully supports 14500 (li-ions), unlike the Fenix lights

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-84/ITP-C7R-Cree-Q5/Detail

If you can survive with those 3 x AAA lights, I'm sure you can survive with the C7/C8.
The link goes to the Regular version, which i recommend since it has SOS & strobe feature. Tactical version is the same as Regular, except it has a forward click (can't tail stand) and doesn't have SOS or strobe.

Last edited:

*Dusty*

Enlightened
Way to be prepared its always better to have and not need than need and not have. So the other 7 should have learned a lesson things change, plans go wrong so think ahead.

I would suggest getting yourself a good headlamp like a Princeton Tec or Petzel.
I to enjoy Energizer headlamps now and then but wouldn't wanna be caught out in the elements with it.

I have to disagree with that, I wore mine all through last winter (energiser 6 led 3xaaa model) in some freezing cold and torrential rain storms and it never once failed me. It did have condensation inside the lens but it NEVER once let me down :)

I agree the Petzl is probably a better light, I also own a Tikka XP, and it will be well tested this winter too.

Also shows the importance of carrying a few spare cells too....

Great story, glad you made it through ok.

GPB

Enlightened
In all honesty, I hope the real lesson you learned was to either get new hiking buddies, or get these ones to get some training. When you go hiking, you need to know that your buddies will be able to bail you out if you need it. If someone didn't have the foresight to bring a light on an all day hike, I wouldn't hike with them again.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats not true and not good. Thats simply how the majority of ppl is (in regard to lights, or the threads of the outdoor (pls dont laugh on an European typing this. ;) There is probably no other place to be as safe in the "outdoors") ;)
Why change friends because of this?

Good selection, especially the headlamps.
All my lights are rugged enough to survive anything I will survive (I would never use anything in workmanship under Fenix, Inova, Jetbeam, ...) but I would have forgotten the headlamp.

Advise: Fenix 2*AA, or better a good 1*18650 multistage led light
+ a number of Fenix E01s w. lithiums on every backpack, as an emergency spare