Some info on E1L and E2L needed.. please!

Ctrain

Enlightened
Hey!

Thinking about purchasing an E1L or an E2L as a gift.. I like the extra runtime they have.

I haven't had a play with these in real so I was hoping for some feedback..

Its not as simple as reading the lumen rating...

How would say the E1L and E2L compare to my D10??

Any other info would be great!!

Clint

GreySave

Enlightened
I do not have a D10 so I cannot comment on that. The E2L is my EDC duriong the summer months becasue of its two levels and excellent balance between runtime and output. On low the three lumen output is enough to get by on in many situations and will last multiple days of continuous use. High power is adequate for most tasks and generally needs to be used only briefly before returning to low in many situations.

There are certainly brighter lights, but super blinding light has it limitations (runtime) and can work against you (Effects on night vision). I love the E2L for its simplicity of the interface and real world valuable output levels.

zven

Enlightened
I haven't handled an E2L recently, but if SF's lumen ratings hold consistent, then I'd expect its high to be as bright as or brighter than your D10 - My L1 is a touch brighter at a rated 65 lumens than my D10 at its rated 130.

The main thing to take note of with the E1L and E2L is that they'll have a pretty different beam from the D10. The TIR optic on these lights produces a beam with great throw, a hotspot much wider than most lights, and relatively dim (though, in my opinion, still useful) spill. The spill is still great for navigation, and from my use seems to work great with one's peripheral vision. However, for primary illumination, you'll likely find that you have to re-aim the beam every time you want to focus your vision on a different target. Personally, this is how I use my flashlights regardless of beam pattern (i.e., constantly re-aiming the hotspot at whatever I want to look at). But if you like to just turn on your light and have it illuminate everything without thinking about where you're pointing it, you may find the E1L/E2L disappointing.

Oh, and in any case, get SureFire's F04 diffuser with it. It's inexpensive, and extremely useful for those times when you just want a flood beam.