My Streamlight Scorpion is not l33t

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
I have an old incandescent Streamlight Scorpion, purchased from back before you could get a comparably powerful LED light. It's ok, but nothing spectacular. Does anyone have any ideas how to mod it to have either an LED bulb or at least a better incandescent bulb?

(btw, the title is a reference to this comic and the ones around it: http://megatokyo.com/strip/15)

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my scorpion! It was my second real flashlight (after the princeton tec surge) Perfect for security work and an EDC. The rubber grip got tiresome after a while as it would grab and be diffucult to draw from the pocket. I would sell it for $15-20 and buy something new.

In keeping with the spirit of the modified lights forum I suggest that you unscrew the top and put in its place an e-series head thats compatible with two cr123 primary cells. (unless you want to dabble in rechargeble lithium Ions.)

I found one for you right here. Not 100% sure it'll fit but I'm pretty sure it will.

there's really nothing you can do to modify the head. (at least it's never been done).

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have spent some time studying the various Streamlight lights, such as the scorpion. Nice light, but you get into kind of a bind for LED use.

EDIT - sorry, my original comments were wrong - I was thinking of a different light last night.

It is a standard 2 x CR123, so it should be ok for conversion to LED. In fact, there is an LED version of that light now. I wonder if Streamlight offers a replacement head for it?

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would sell it as is (or keep in in the glove box) and buy a new EDC single 18650 light (like this one) and mod it with a forward clicky switch and a warm cree emitter. That's just my current EDC and it kicks butt over all my old incan lights for brightness, smooth beam, runtime and ease of use (no grippy rubber sleeve)

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm getting the impression that modding it to include an LED would be extremely difficult, and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to take any of the incandescent routes (as opposed to just throwing the money in a new flashlight fund for an LED light).

My best bet seems to be to just hang onto this one as a backup light or sell it. (I already have a TwinTask 2L as a glove compartment light.)

Superdave

Enlightened
swapping to that TLS head would work very well as long as it's got E series threads (which i'm pretty sure it does).

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I'll look into the threading style on this Scorpion, then. Are there any cheaper styles of compatible add-on head of which you're aware?

horizonseeker

Enlightened
your fastest bet is to find a replacement head for it, any of the e-series compatible head will work on the scorpion threadwise.

I took apart one of my scorpion's head thinking that I was going to convert it to LED, but it turned out to be too much effort for the result.

there were a couple of e-series compatible heads on kaidomain, they no longer seem to be listed, I got one while they were available and it work good.