5Cs into 4D Mag...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I tried this last night (or was it Saturday?).

I had four 1.55 or so Ds in it with a Halogen (sorry, don't know exactly which one - probably 4v) that was pretty bright. And it was tweaked to a pretty centered and not TOO splotchy beam.

With 5Cs, it is BRIGHT! But I fear VERY short lived...

5Cs fit with no spacer of any kind or spring change needed.

Just a little more mod fodder.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, a couple things here.

One: I went and got some 1" plastic pipe to do the C mods correctly.

Two: I came back and made tubes for the three conversions I have now. (A little too much free time I must say!)

Three: I checked the bulb in the 5C mag, and it was a KPR113 4.8v job. Driven by 8+ volts no WONDER it was bright! I changed it to a KPR112 6v and it is still pretty bright and should last a while.

Four: In the 2D mag to 3C the bulb is a Halogen I believe 4v. It is DAMN bright!

Five: In the Garrity Ozark trail I had an XPR103. It just didn't hold a candle to the Halogen Mag. I changed to a KPR103 - better.

In order of bright, 2D > 3C Mag, 4D > 5C Mag, and 2D > 3C Garrity. (the 5C has 3 K Mart Alkys, a Durocell, and an Energizer - the Garrity 3 K Mart Alkys. This COULD have a bit to do with brightness)

All this experimentation is fun! But 'good' batteries are not real cheap, and now I need some writeright film for a couple experiments - ARGH!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
How tight is a C battery in 1" pipe? A C cell is supposed to be 26 mm in diameter but 1" is only 25.4 mm.